Jordan Howard trade rumors are back

WindyCity

The Dolphins got a 4th for Ajayi last season. That's probably about the top end of what the Bears could get for Howard now.

Pace can probably find a decent back in the 4th round of next year's draft (several current starters have been picked in that range in the last few drafts), but the Bears would become very thin at RB and would have to shop for a stop-gap who can run between the tackles. I think the more logical move is to bring in a rookie in next year's draft and see if he can win the job.

38 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

The Dolphins got a 4th for Ajayi last season. That's probably about the top end of what the Bears could get for Howard now.

Pace can probably find a decent back in the 4th round of next year's draft (several current starters have been picked in that range in the last few drafts), but the Bears would become very thin at RB and would have to shop for a stop-gap who can run between the tackles. I think the more logical move is to bring in a rookie in next year's draft and see if he can win the job.

If you think Nagy's offense is the future of the Bears you get what you can for Howard. I do not understand how people want to keep a plodder as the center piece of our backfield. He is an old school running back who has stone hands and lacks breakaway speed. You have to be willing to move on from the past in order to move into the future. Why is this so hard to understand? Do you want old Bear or new Bears? It is that black and white.

1 hour ago, dafreak said:

If you think Nagy's offense is the future of the Bears you get what you can for Howard. I do not understand how people want to keep a plodder as the center piece of our backfield. He is an old school running back who has stone hands and lacks breakaway speed. You have to be willing to move on from the past in order to move into the future. Why is this so hard to understand? Do you want old Bear or new Bears? It is that black and white.

I disagree with your assessment of what Howard brings to the table, but whether the front office shares your opinion or mine moving him now just isn’t plausible. We have NO viable alternative on the roster, and nobody is trading one back in a swap. Cohen isn’t capable of handling a starter’s workload at his size and Cunningham is a career special teamer and 3rd down back. Howard isn’t flashy and isn’t an elite pass catcher by any stretch but he IS the guy who has outgained every RB in the league on the ground over the past 2 seasons besides Elliott and LeVeon, is making nothing on a 5th round rookie deal and is under contract thru next season at a ridiculous bargain. That you’re talking about him like he’s some sub-replacement level bum is pretty ridiculous. Even if the plan is to draft his replacement next year we don’t have a pick until round 3 at all so you’re getting a prospect then that’s flawed in some way anyway, and for what you’d fetch in a trade for Howard next offseason he almost certainly would have more value on the roster in a rotation or as incredibly well established depth. Good teams don’t just give assets away. THAT is black and white. 

Miami was going nowhere last year when they moved Ajayi. We are a first place team with an elite defense and a realistic playoff shot. Miami also had Kenyan Drake, a guy they drafted, as a viable step up candidate. We don’t. This isn’t about keeping a “plodder” as our centerpiece back. It’s about the reality that there isn’t an alternative available that’s anywhere near as capable as Howard is let alone better before next offseason, and we aren’t in a place where making our roster worse even if just in the short term makes any sense at all.

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I disagree with your assessment of what Howard brings to the table, but whether the front office shares your opinion or mine moving him now just isn’t plausible. We have NO viable alternative on the roster, and nobody is trading one back in a swap. Cohen isn’t capable of handling a starter’s workload at his size and Cunningham is a career special teamer and 3rd down back. Howard isn’t flashy and isn’t an elite pass catcher by any stretch but he IS the guy who has outgained every RB in the league on the ground over the past 2 seasons besides Elliott and LeVeon, is making nothing on a 5th round rookie deal and is under contract thru next season at a ridiculous bargain. That you’re talking about him like he’s some sub-replacement level bum is pretty ridiculous. Even if the plan is to draft his replacement next year we don’t have a pick until round 3 at all so you’re getting a prospect then that’s flawed in some way anyway, and for what you’d fetch in a trade for Howard next offseason he almost certainly would have more value on the roster in a rotation or as incredibly well established depth. Good teams don’t just give assets away. THAT is black and white. 

Miami was going nowhere last year when they moved Ajayi. We are a first place team with an elite defense and a realistic playoff shot. Miami also had Kenyan Drake, a guy they drafted, as a viable step up candidate. We don’t. This isn’t about keeping a “plodder” as our centerpiece back. It’s about the reality that there isn’t an alternative available that’s anywhere near as capable as Howard is let alone better before next offseason, and we aren’t in a place where making our roster worse even if just in the short term makes any sense at all.

I'm sure Cohen has been told he isnt capable of handling a starters workload his whole life. As for Howard, I dont think he is a bum, I just dont think he is a match for this offense. There is a reason that we have heard whispers of trade rumors since before the draft. 

I don't think Howard is here once he hits FA so I can understand the logic in flipping him for a pick.

We just can't afford to do that right now, we're too think at RB and, really, I think he's improved greatly in the passing game. Let's give him a full season to see what he can do for us. I think he has a big game this week.

On 10/10/2018 at 6:59 PM, beardown3231 said:

I don’t agree that he should be traded now. I do agree, however, that he’s pretty overrated inside of the fan base and I do agree that they can trade him in the offseason and not miss a beat next regular season.

The basis of the thread is essentially rumors (viability of which is up in the air) about Howard being traded right now, though. 

On 10/11/2018 at 11:10 AM, beardown3231 said:

32 GM's would take Gordon, McCaffrey, Barkley, Hunt, Fournette, Johnson, Freeman, Kamara and Mixon over Howard. Sorry, boss.

That may not even be true...but still indicates that he may be a top ten back. Sometimes you just have to roll with what ya got. I don't think Matt Ryan is a top five QB. But I don't think the Falcons should try to trade him...

On 10/11/2018 at 4:06 PM, dll2000 said:

McCaffery struggled between tackles prior to this year, but makes up for it in passing game.

That may well be because he was misused/wasn't given a proper chance, though. McCaffery is totally underrated, IMO. 

McCaffery is a stud and a match up nightmare in passing game,. He is playing at his best this season.

Barkley is best back in league right now. He is special.  Giants still suck. Kinda like Bears back in day even though they had Butkus and Sayers.

I will say again you have Howard this year and next year and he has value.  No reason to do anything, but play him and let him test market.  

Then see what it would cost to resign and decide.  This is what Pace has done in similar situations   

On 10/12/2018 at 5:36 AM, dafreak said:

I'm sure Cohen has been told he isnt capable of handling a starters workload his whole life. As for Howard, I dont think he is a bum, I just dont think he is a match for this offense. There is a reason that we have heard whispers of trade rumors since before the draft. 

How many RB in the NFL are getting starter level touches every week and weigh 180 lb outside of injury? Closest I can think of is McCaffrey and he’s 5’11” 205 lb., so it isn’t just me. The league agrees. Darren Sproles is the modern era standard for RB comparable in size to Cohen, and in 13 seasons he has never had more than 173 offensive touches (2011). Thats just shy of 11 per game. Expecting Cohen to ever be more than that is just not realistic, and because of that you can’t trade Howard now. That doesn’t mean you can’t trade him after the season if after a full year you still don’t see a fit, but you can’t do it until you can replace him with a player you can reasonably expect to take on most of his work load. To do so would be to set yourself up for problems. 

If you trade him now it would almost have to be for a good RB that fits Nagy's system better.

So you have to find a team that wants to pound it and has a good fast RB that doesn't fit their system. Slim and Slimmer would be the name of the movie.

Howard may not fit Nagy's system, but if we trade him for a draft pick I'm pretty sure the grocery clerk we add to the roster won't be great out of the backfield either.

Kind of reminds me of trading away TE Olsen back in the day although I expect Nagy to stick around longer than Martz.

Why undercut this year's run for the playoffs by adding a draft chit for next year's run?

This current team's future is NOW.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

McCaffery is a stud and a match up nightmare in passing game,. He is playing at his best this season.

Barkley is best back in league right now. He is special.  Giants still suck. Kinda like Bears back in day even though they had Butkus and Sayers.

I will say again you have Howard this year and next year and he has value.  No reason to do anything, but play him and let him test market.  

Then see what it would cost to resign and decide.  This is what Pace has done in similar situations   

Barkley is a great talent, but hes not the best back in the league right now.  If you want to say top 10 I'm ol with that.  But 1) he hasnt been remotely consistent 2) he hasnt even finished half a season yet.  Todd Gurley is still doing Todd Gurley things.  Lev Bell is waiting to rejoin his team.  Zeke is a bad man down in Dallas.  

Archived