Jordan Howard trade rumors are back

WindyCity

You have to move him for equal compensation or keep and resign him after testing market .. and let Nagy work his system centered around player talents and less on scheme .. like Brad Stevens for the Celtics. Hope Nagy can do this..

JH is a STuD  

The only reason I'd trade Howard is IF I wouldn't want to pay him once his rookie deal expires (which is actually a concern because of potentially needing to pay Mitch + other deals)

And for that to be a valid thing, we'd need someone behind him to step up... I had some hopes for the UDFA we got, who's on the PS.... but he's a poor man's Howard at this point. And we don't really have the picks to go out finding anyone else.

As for Howard being a "Plodder" on one of his breakaway runs his first year he was clocked with the 2nd fastest top speed of the month he did it, and a top 7 speed clocked on field for the season. He's got a good top gear, just not the stop/start that.

Imo, he's a near elite talent who's underrated in the passing game. He's not Forte as a WR, but he is a better runner. And you don't just dump a guy who's smashed all of your teams rushing records for his first few seasons.

5 hours ago, SLCbear said:

You have to move him for equal compensation or keep and resign him after testing market .. and let Nagy work his system centered around player talents and less on scheme .. like Brad Stevens for the Celtics. Hope Nagy can do this..

JH is a STuD  

Nagy should change his system for one guy. Yeah, got it.

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Nagy should change his system for one guy. Yeah, got it.

Yes, Nagy needs to adapt the scheme to fit his players if they wouldn't fit. That doesn't mean he is scrapping the system. Any playcaller worth a damn would be able to do it. This isn't anything new, even Tice and Loggains were able to do this to some degree.  Do you feel Nagy is incapable of utilizing him when Loggains was able to get him to rush for 1300 yards?  You're making it sound like we are throwing Michael Bush or Trent Richardson out there.

A trade in season is not going to happen.  No one should create a hole just to need to fill it when meaningful games are left to be played. 

Maybe an offseason trade could happen, but you'd have to receive enough value to replace Howard in the draft.  I'd say minimum 4th rd pick, maybe two 4ths is what we would get back.  Ask more than that and the response would be, "we'll just use a 4th to draft someone controllable."  Howard only having one year of control left is going to limit his value, when his position is one of the least valued in the league.  

Just now, Nads786 said:

I'm not sure if he sucks this year or the OL can't run block at all. I don't see any big holes for either him or cohen. 

I'm a broken record but he's run behind a zone blocking scheme since college. This is the first year we've switched to Power and he's struggling. He seems to be running INTO tacklers which is maddening.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

I'm a broken record but he's run behind a zone blocking scheme since college. This is the first year we've switched to Power and he's struggling. He seems to be running INTO tacklers which is maddening.

I'm not seeing holes opening up like before. A lot of the time he is being hit before or at the LOS. We have 13 rushes for negative yards, so about 1 of every 10 is for a loss. We've seen multiple times he and Cohen have been able to just get past the line too. Maybe the OL itself is having some struggles with consistency in the run game.

There’s probably a chart for this somewhere, but how many runs on the edge have we seen Howard get this year? Those stretch plays were the bread and butter chunk gain plays for him the past two years, yet every time I see him getting the ball it’s a run inside the tackles. His usage has really been the one non-creative part of our offense thus far.  All of the on the edge runs are going to Cohen. Or Gabriel. I don’t know that it’s the sole reason but I think it’s certainly a factor in Howard’s decreased production thus far. 

15 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

There’s probably a chart for this somewhere, but how many runs on the edge have we seen Howard get this year? Those stretch plays were the bread and butter chunk gain plays for him the past two years, yet every time I see him getting the ball it’s a run inside the tackles. His usage has really been the one non-creative part of our offense thus far.  All of the on the edge runs are going to Cohen. Or Gabriel. I don’t know that it’s the sole reason but I think it’s certainly a factor in Howard’s decreased production thus far. 

The OL is blocking with a different scheme and different technique. I don't see those outside zones anymore where Howard gets the choice to take it to the outside shoulder of the tackle or cut it back if he sees a lane develop.

On 10/19/2018 at 7:57 PM, AZBearsFan said:

Only 11 of Howard's carries have been outside runs (or 14%). 8 of those 11 have come on plays ran from under center.

Week 1: 3 Total (2 on the right side--1 left side) 
Week 2: 5 Total (5 right side--0 left side)
Week 3: 1 Total (0 right side--1 left side)
Week 4: 2 Total (1 right side--1 left side)
Week 6: 0 Total

By comparison, he had 38 after 5 games last season (46%)--including the Bucs game where he missed most of it because his arm--all 38 of those plays were also ran from under center.

Meanwhile, 16 of Cohen's 32 total rushes (50%) have been outside runs.

I've been saying it all along, the shotgun is really bottlenecking his skill set.

Archived