Is it too early to focus on the 19 draft?

Doc Draper

I wouldn't touch D.K. Metcalf with a ten foot pole personally. For an alleged big, strong receiver he missed nearly two seasons out of three that he played at Ole Miss with season ending injuries to his foot and neck. There are too many legitimate needs on this squad to take a chance on another injury prone player in the early rounds of the draft. Metcalf has Kevin White 2.0 written all over him.

2 hours ago, Momaster said:

I wouldn't touch D.K. Metcalf with a ten foot pole personally. For an alleged big, strong receiver he missed nearly two seasons out of three that he played at Ole Miss with season ending injuries to his foot and neck. There are too many legitimate needs on this squad to take a chance on another injury prone player in the early rounds of the draft. Metcalf has Kevin White 2.0 written all over him.

But if we draft him, we can blame that on the strength and conditioning coaches. So, he’ll get a pass.

Also, I don’t know if Kevin White is the best comparison to an injury prone college player seeing that Kevin White didn’t deal any major injuries at WVU, then, all of a sudden he gets to the pros and has this string of bad luck injuries that he can’t seem to shake. It’s really weird bc he didn’t have injury issues in college and if he had, he wouldn’t have been a top 10 draft pick.

Edited by turtle28

On 12/7/2018 at 3:59 AM, turtle28 said:

But if we draft him, we can blame that on the strength and conditioning coaches. So, he’ll get a pass.

Also, I don’t know if Kevin White is the best comparison to an injury prone college player seeing that Kevin White didn’t deal any major injuries at WVU, then, all of a sudden he gets to the pros and has this string of bad luck injuries that he can’t seem to shake. It’s really weird bc he didn’t have injury issues in college and if he had, he wouldn’t have been a top 10 draft pick.

Or we can act like the injuries are purely coincidental...this game works both ways 

57 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Or we can act like the injuries are purely coincidental...this game works both ways 

Most of the guys who keep getting injured for us either battled some major injuries in college, or they were injured on their previous teams or both. That’s a fact that no one can challenge.

Edited by turtle28

It’s really puzzling to me how folks act like a plan to “draft a franchise QB” happens in a vacuum. 

From what I’ve seen, it looks very possible to me that there are no franchise QBs in this draft. There’s serious doubt about whether any of the potential top 4 prospects (Herbert, Haskins, Murray, D. Jones) will even be valuable to be drafted. And I probably wouldn’t take any of them over any of the top 4 guys from last year.

Let’s say two of them do come out, and do show enough to be considered potential franchise QBs. Which is very generous. We’ll be picking somewhere around 10, with teams like JAX, OAK, NYG, TB, DEN, CIN, etc. also needing QBs and picking either ahead of us or right behind us. What price do you think it will take to climb to the top two among all those teams? What price are you willing to pay to win the Justin Herbert or Daniel Jones sweepstakes?

The point is, you can’t just say “we need to draft a franchise QB” and then break the huddle. Sometimes you’d like to do it, but the cards just don’t fall right for you. It already looks very much (to me at least) like that’s going to happen to us this year. You can’t force it, it’s just too important to get it right. 

If you get an opportunity to draft a QB you love, do it. But otherwise, continue to improve the roster with high-level young talent, go with a place-holder QB, and keep biding your time. 

5 minutes ago, e16bball said:

It’s really puzzling to me how folks act like a plan to “draft a franchise QB” happens in a vacuum. 

From what I’ve seen, it looks very possible to me that there are no franchise QBs in this draft. There’s serious doubt about whether any of the potential top 4 prospects (Herbert, Haskins, Murray, D. Jones) will even be valuable to be drafted. And I probably wouldn’t take any of them over any of the top 4 guys from last year.

Let’s say two of them do come out, and do show enough to be considered potential franchise QBs. Which is very generous. We’ll be picking somewhere around 10, with teams like JAX, OAK, NYG, TB, DEN, CIN, etc. also needing QBs and picking either ahead of us or right behind us. What price do you think it will take to climb to the top two among all those teams? What price are you willing to pay to win the Justin Herbert or Daniel Jones sweepstakes?

The point is, you can’t just say “we need to draft a franchise QB” and then break the huddle. Sometimes you’d like to do it, but the cards just don’t fall right for you. It already looks very much (to me at least) like that’s going to happen to us this year. You can’t force it, it’s just too important to get it right. 

If you get an opportunity to draft a QB you love, do it. But otherwise, continue to improve the roster with high-level young talent, go with a place-holder QB, and keep biding your time. 

I wouldn't jump to take any of these guys. If Murray was coming out I would say he's the guy I'd want or would at least be looking at more film of . He seems to have the "It" like a Wilson or Mayfield. I know he's short but the guy can make plays on the field. In and out of the pocket. 

To answer your question, any team to get a team to jump for Herbert or Hanskins could be getting a steal. In that position I think it would take at least a 2019 2nd round pick and possibly a 2020 1st to get the top QBs in the draft. I wouldn't offer anything to move up for these guys unless they fell like in the 23rd pick range. I would than possibly offer our 2019 2nd round pick and 2020 3rd round pick to get back in the 1st round of the draft. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I'm not jumping to take any of them. Which is why I said to roll with Colt (or whomever) and get a guy like Rypien in Day 2 as the backup. The Jints did it with Eli and Lauletta. Now they aren't forced to reach for a franchise QB this year if they don't need to

25 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'm not jumping to take any of them. Which is why I said to roll with Colt (or whomever) and get a guy like Rypien in Day 2 as the backup. The Jints did it with Eli and Lauletta. Now they aren't forced to reach for a franchise QB this year if they don't need to

Rypien day 2?

I think with the ties to the franchise. We could get him as an UDFA. Say a dozen qbs go drafted total.  Rypien isnt in the top 20.

What about that Kizer kid from ND the Browns drafted a couple years back? Hes still younger than most the qbs coming out this year. Hes 22yo and been working behind Rogers at GB. Id just as well trade for him as take near any qb this draft.

1 minute ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Rypien day 2?

I think with the ties to the franchise. We could get him as an UDFA. Say a dozen qbs go drafted total.  Rypien isnt in the top 20.

What about that Kizer kid from ND the Browns drafted a couple years back? Hes still younger than most the qbs coming out this year. Hes 22yo and been working behind Rogers at GB. Id just as well trade for him as take near any qb this draft.

I'll put Rypien going somewhere in Day 2

26 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

That’s where I am. 

I’m fine with taking a mid-late round QB to see how he develops. I’m pretty much always fine with that — in fact, I’d do it almost every year, given the enormous upside in the event that you hit on one who blossoms. 

But I posted the other day about the success rate of QBs taken outside the top 5-10 over the last 10ish years. Not good. Terrible, actually. So as long as you go into it knowing it’s a dice roll with a very low probability of success, it’s a fine idea. If nothing else, it’s a cheap backup who can take lumps in case you need him. 

13 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Kid has great physical tools at least. I didn’t think he was too impressive as a rookie — but not many people would have been in those circumstances, as a 20-year-old rookie on that Browns team.

If we’re talking about NFL veterans, I still have Teddy Bridgewater in the back of my head. He was pretty good despite his youth before getting hurt, and now he’s spent a year with Brees and Payton in NO. Pretty good way to take your mental game to the next level. Probably will be too pricey given what we’re paying Smith, but I like him as a possible high-upside/breakout candidate.