Is it too early to focus on the 19 draft?

Doc Draper

On 10/11/2018 at 8:55 AM, turtle28 said:

I really like Thorsen and Rypien.

Thorsen beat Wisconsin today. Didn’t catch the game but saw highlights. Athletic tough  little 7 yard run for a TD. Haven’t seen little Ryp yet but his sister was MVP of the lingerie league. Dad could spin it too ?

• Like 1

I don’t watch much PAC-12 ball but watching the Oregon game to see what Herbert is all about. Yea forget him, who’s this kid Tate in Arizona? I heard his name probably on some preseason “watch out for” lists but wow he looks good. Yes it’s only 2 series into the game. 

I’m at a point now where if we can get Grier in the 2nd or 3rd then I’ll be happy. Having two QBs on your roster both over thirty is simply the wrong way to go about things. How this team doesn’t have a developmental QB on the roster is beyond me? Mason Rudolph should’ve been a Redskin. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I’m at a point now where if we can get Grier in the 2nd or 3rd then I’ll be happy. Having two QBs on your roster both over thirty is simply the wrong way to go about things. How this team doesn’t have a developmental QB on the roster is beyond me? Mason Rudolph should’ve been a Redskin. 

You are absolutely correct! Missed opportunity last year. 

12 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Yeah, kinda hard to argue with that at the moment. 

Maybe the decision to go with Christian there in the 3rd looks better in the long run when we see how it all shakes out — and I’ve argued exactly that in the past. But it’d sure be nice to have a young QB waiting in the wings to take over in a couple years.

Especially because I don’t see this team bottoming out over the next couple seasons. Barring major injuries, I think they’ll still be pretty competitive for a while. Given that, I don’t envision them being in position to draft a real blue-chip talent without making a huge trade up the board.

And it’s just my view, but I feel that if you can’t get an elite prospect at the QB position, you should get a solid one and develop him for a couple years at least. Would have been looking for a guy who could step in and assume the reins full-time in 2021. Rudolph would’ve been a nice fit talent-wise and timetable-wise.  

But Grier might work too. 

• Like 1

Keep restocking the trenches. OL/DL, EDGE is what I would focus on. That’s how good teams win. The tried and true formula:

1. Combine a good-to-elite QB with a good-to-elite coach. Both don’t need to be elite because that is rare and unrealistic, but they need to both be at least good.

2. Control and dictate the line of scrimmage. No team has ever won overpaying/relying on WRs, RBs, CBs etc. to carry them. 

3. Find your identity, whatever it is. Teams can win in many ways, but you have to know who you are.

Edited by A TRAIN 89
  • Like 1

This draft so far looks like it will suck at positions we need most. We took Nate a couple years back in the 7th and nobody knew who he was. If he was coming out this year, wed be saying what a nice grab hed be in the 4th to develop along. OL is about as weak a class as theres been. Maybe grab someone out the 3rd and hope they can spend a year or 2 developing. But just not seeing much, especially where wed be drafting.

Our stronger areas happens to be where the draft is heavy at. The DL/DB sections. Some fantastic talent in those Depts coming out. The pack of wideouts looks to be solid too.

One of those years where its more important than ever to go BPA over need. Cause a need filled could be a tremendous flop more to us now than previously due to the weakness of the positions we need.

16 hours ago, e16bball said:

Yeah, kinda hard to argue with that at the moment. 

Maybe the decision to go with Christian there in the 3rd looks better in the long run when we see how it all shakes out — and I’ve argued exactly that in the past. But it’d sure be nice to have a young QB waiting in the wings to take over in a couple years.

Especially because I don’t see this team bottoming out over the next couple seasons. Barring major injuries, I think they’ll still be pretty competitive for a while. Given that, I don’t envision them being in position to draft a real blue-chip talent without making a huge trade up the board.

And it’s just my view, but I feel that if you can’t get an elite prospect at the QB position, you should get a solid one and develop him for a couple years at least. Would have been looking for a guy who could step in and assume the reins full-time in 2021. Rudolph would’ve been a nice fit talent-wise and timetable-wise.  

But Grier might work too. 

I like Grier as he has that gunslinger thing too him!!! To me that’s what the difference is with Mahomes comparedto the other guys who have shined for Reid. I feel like for Gruden to have a QB that will take his team over the top they have to have a gun slinger mentality. I like Grier a lot for this team with a guy like Doc who can and will go and get it. He has been showing a tougher prescense so we will see. Grier is actually the guy in this class I like the most just from what I’ve seen

14 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

This draft so far looks like it will suck at positions we need most. We took Nate a couple years back in the 7th and nobody knew who he was. If he was coming out this year, wed be saying what a nice grab hed be in the 4th to develop along. OL is about as weak a class as theres been. Maybe grab someone out the 3rd and hope they can spend a year or 2 developing. But just not seeing much, especially where wed be drafting.

Our stronger areas happens to be where the draft is heavy at. The DL/DB sections. Some fantastic talent in those Depts coming out. The pack of wideouts looks to be solid too.

One of those years where its more important than ever to go BPA over need. Cause a need filled could be a tremendous flop more to us now than previously due to the weakness of the positions we need.

Oh that’s why I’m okay with DL or just about anything Defense RD 1. Be the best in the league and keep building up the run game and maybe find a weapon outside. Then pull the trigger on the QB you believe takes that super talented team over the top

14 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Good thing here is that we can either load up on talent at those positions. Or trade out of our spot to teams who need them and acquire picks.

6 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Two things you do every year.

Draft a lineman (offensive or defensive) in one of the 1st 3 rounds ( @Woz and I agree)

Draft/Sign (UDFA) a young QB to groom. And its one reason why I wanted a developmental slot devoted to this position (

Add me to the list of draft a lineman in the first 3 rounds every year.I have always been for this

• Like 1

To tag off what @PARROTHEAD said, here's how CBS Sports breaks down their 99 top prospects right now by position (striking positions that we have zero need at, bolding where I think we need to focus):

• Offense (ignoring FB, of which there were zero top 99 prospects anyhow)
    • QB = 11 (best: 10th, worst: 95th)
    • RB = 9 (best: 12th, worst: 99th)
    • WR = 15th (best: 6th, worst: 94th)
    • TE = 3 (best: 19th, worst: 55th) 
    • OT = 12 (best: 16th, worst: 96th)
    • OG = 5 (best: 39th, worst: 90th)
    • OC = 1 (best: 98th, worst: 98th)
  • Defense
    • DE = 9 (best: 1st, worst: 97th)
    • DT = 10 (best: 2nd, worst: 65th)
    • ILB = 10 (best: 15th, worst: 86th)
    • OLB = 4 (best: 41st, worst: 63rd)   [I assume they have put pass rushers under DE, and treat pure LBs here]
    • CB = 6 (best: 5th, worst: 87th)
    • SS = 2 (best: 71st, worst: 82nd)
    • FS = 2 (best: 32nd, worst: 84th)

Just for another site's perspective, here's the top 100 breakdown from DraftTek (DraftTek tends not to rank underclassmen until they declare, so the numbers right now are mostly for seniors only (but a guy like Bosa is ranked)):

• Offense (again, ignoring FB)
    • QB = 7 (best: 1st, worst: 90th)
    • RBR = 7 (best: 24th, worst: 93rd)
    • RBC = 0
    • WRF = 8 (best: 6th, worst:  98th)
    • WRS = 3 (best: 38th, worst: 82nd)   [unless they let Crowder walk, in which case this goes to normal]
    • TE = 7 (best: 16th, worst: 95th)
    • OT = 9 (best: 15th, worst: 92nd)
    • OG = 6 (best: 46th, worst: 100th)
    • OC = 4 (best: 44th, worst: 97th)
  • Defense (if a player is listed under two positions, I parked him under his primary position)
    • EDGE = 10 (best: 2nd, worst: 100th)
    • DL 1-TECH = 5 (best: 33rd, worst: 84th)  [we don't run enough 3-4 fronts to necessitate getting another guy like Settle]
    • DL 3-TECH = 9 (best: 3rd, worst: 87th)
    • DL 5-TECH = 5 (best: 18th, worst: 40th)
    • OLB = 2 (best: 58th, worst: 85th)
    • ILB = 6 (best: 17th, worst: 99th)
    • S = 7 (best: 9th, worst: 89th)
    • CB = 7 (best: 4th, worst: 96th)

So, there's some places we can fill holes. Whether they are as good as previous years ... *shrugs*