Is it too early to focus on the 19 draft?

Doc Draper

10 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

I get the feeling if Bruce drafts Murray he’d be on the first plane to Oakland to begin a long baseball only career

I just I can’t see a guy who wants to actually play football pulling a Eli!!!! I mean if he did and we lost Brice then okay!!!!! But I honestly think Murray brings something to the table for this team and not just to get people in the seats or the Dunny agenda!!!!!

Per WalterFootball:

Washington Redskins
  • Kendall Blanton, TE, Missouri (EW)
  • Jon Duhart, WR, Old Dominion (EW)
  • Jordan Ellis, RB, Virginia (EW)
  • KeeSean Johnson, WR, Fresno State (EW)
  • Nick Linder, C, Indiana (EW)
  • Chris Peace, OLB, Virginia (EW)
  • Chris Slayton, DT, Syracuse (EW)
  • Sione Takitaki, OLB, Brigham Young (EW)
  • Cody Thompson, WR, Toledo (EW)
  • Kevin Wilkins, DT, Rutgers (EW)
  • Terry Wright, WR, Purdue (EW)
  • Read more at http://walterfootball.com/ProspectMeetings/ByTeam#OJoMWtbLIxj6Ffsy.99

• Like 2

Okay, non-QB question:

So, DraftTek.com just posted their updated algorithmic mock. At 15, the system had essentially three choices for Washington:

WR D.K. Metcalf, Ole Miss
CB Byron Murphy, Washington
ILB Devin White, LSU

What would you guys do here? As our resident LSU fan, @PARROTHEAD, any insight into how White might fit into a 3-4 (coverage skills?)? Be honest about him. No "Washington shouldn't draft him because I don't want to see stuck in this hellhole" kind of dodges. :D

5 minutes ago, Woz said:

Okay, non-QB question:

So, DraftTek.com just posted their updated algorithmic mock. At 15, the system had essentially three choices for Washington:

ILB Devin White, LSU

What would you guys do here? As our resident LSU fan, @PARROTHEAD, any insight into how White might fit into a 3-4 (coverage skills?)? Be honest about him. No "Washington shouldn't draft him because I don't want to see stuck in this hellhole" kind of dodges. :D

Oh man that's tough.  Metcalf is probably another Doctson, not saying he'll be mediocre like that but I mean he's another possession guy with size.  I could see him becoming a really good receiver in the NFL, but he wasn't "the man" in college because of Brown.  He's probably a high end #2 in the NFL.  

Byron Murphy will be a really good CB IMO.  He'll be a legit starter with #1 potential if he pans out.  

Devin White is projecting to possibly go in the top 10 right now, but MLBs fall often.  I believe he's a converted RB who's still learning the position, which is incredible when you look at the stats he put up.  

I'd probably draft White, but Murphy is really close.  Metcalf I'd take if both were off the board.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:
Washington Redskins
  • Kendall Blanton, TE, Missouri (EW)
  • Jon Duhart, WR, Old Dominion (EW)
  • Jordan Ellis, RB, Virginia (EW)
  • KeeSean Johnson, WR, Fresno State (EW)
  • Nick Linder, C, Indiana (EW)
  • Chris Peace, OLB, Virginia (EW)
  • Chris Slayton, DT, Syracuse (EW)
  • Sione Takitaki, OLB, Brigham Young (EW)
  • Cody Thompson, WR, Toledo (EW)
  • Kevin Wilkins, DT, Rutgers (EW)
  • Terry Wright, WR, Purdue (EW)
  • Read more at http://walterfootball.com/ProspectMeetings/ByTeam#OJoMWtbLIxj6Ffsy.99

Ellis would be a solid, workmanlike back. I wouldn't spend more than a 6th on him (that's with Orange & Blue glasses), but he could be a priority UDFA for quite a few teams.

Peace ... probably just a UDFA, dunno he makes it barring balling out on special teams.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

@Woz I've seen UVA's Thornhill projected as a 2nd round pick on several sites.  Don't know how I feel about that.  

I think that it's possibly a reflection of where Virginia is considered as a program. Take CBS Sports for a moment. From their top 30:

• Alabama: 3
  • Clemson: 3
  • Ohio State: 3
  • Ole Miss: 3
  • Mississippi State: 2
  • LSU: 2
  • Oklahoma: 2
  • Arizona State: 1
  • Boston College: 1
  • Florida: 1
  • Florida State: 1
  • Georgia: 1
  • Houston: 1
  • Kentucky: 1
  • Iowa: 1
  • Michigan: 1
  • Missouri: 1
  • Notre Dame: 1
  • Washington: 1

With the exception of Houston and maybe Kentucky, that list of schools with "top 30" draft prospects could be any year's prospect list. The analysts saw the kids play more and they got more hype. So, there's a bit of "big school" bias built into the system right now. A school like Virginia is small potatoes comparatively. No, it's not as small as Old Dominion (where Oshane Ximines is getting second round rankings ... would be interested to hear more about that kid), but still UVA's prospects have to swim upstream a bit.

Let's wait until after the postseason bowls and the Combine to really get into a snit.

For what it's worth, DraftTek has Thornhill as their 17th overall player (2nd best safety); I'm not sure how I feel about that to be honest.

CBS also has Thornhill listed as a strong safety?

14 minutes ago, Woz said:

I think that it's possibly a reflection of where Virginia is considered as a program. Take CBS Sports for a moment. From their top 30:

• Alabama: 3
  • Clemson: 3
  • Ohio State: 3
  • Ole Miss: 3
  • Mississippi State: 2
  • LSU: 2
  • Oklahoma: 2
  • Arizona State: 1
  • Boston College: 1
  • Florida: 1
  • Florida State: 1
  • Georgia: 1
  • Houston: 1
  • Kentucky: 1
  • Iowa: 1
  • Michigan: 1
  • Missouri: 1
  • Notre Dame: 1
  • Washington: 1

With the exception of Houston and maybe Kentucky, that list of schools with "top 30" draft prospects could be any year's prospect list. The analysts saw the kids play more and they got more hype. So, there's a bit of "big school" bias built into the system right now. A school like Virginia is small potatoes comparatively. No, it's not as small as Old Dominion (where Oshane Ximines is getting second round rankings ... would be interested to hear more about that kid), but still UVA's prospects have to swim upstream a bit.

Let's wait until after the postseason bowls and the Combine to really get into a snit.

For what it's worth, DraftTek has Thornhill as their 17th overall player (2nd best safety); I'm not sure how I feel about that to be honest.

CBS also has Thornhill listed as a strong safety?

I've also seen Thornhill listed as a CB somewhere.  Pretty sure he'll be playing FS in the NFL.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

I've also seen Thornhill listed as a CB somewhere.  Pretty sure he'll be playing FS in the NFL.

I can see CB more than SS. That's not me saying he could play corner; I don't think he has the requisite skillset to do it. Just that CB makes more sense that SS.

And I agree he'll likely be a FS.

57 minutes ago, Woz said:

Okay, non-QB question:

ILB Devin White, LSU

For me that is an easy Devin White.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Okay, non-QB question:

ILB Devin White, LSU

DvoHtm7WwAE5r3b.jpg

Whites perfect for coverage or blitzing. The one knock on him for me is it seems when OLmen hit that second level. He gets held up. Great at avoiding blocks, rather pedestrian at shedding them. So he might be perfect for this defensive unit. With the stout DL, allowing him to drop back or go side to side gobbling up everything.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Devin White the 3-4 MLB who can play all three downs and call plays on defense.  While a #1 CB would be nice, ignoring a player who could lead the defense for the next decade-plus may not be the best move.  

Just look at Dallas with that. Their 2-23 and under LBs in White/Vander are already paying off. And will be major problems for us for the next decade.