Is it too early to focus on the 19 draft?

Doc Draper

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

If Hockenson won't get the Redskins President and GM FIRED, then I definitely don't want him! 

😆 

Bruce is a very conservative drafter in my opinion. It's not a bad thing and we usually do OK on our first rounders. I wouldn't be shocked if Hockensen is the pick. It's the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round draft picks where I don't think he has any success at.

Edited by taylor made

25 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Bruce is very conservative drafter in my opinion. It's not a bad thing and we usually do OK on our first rounders. I wouldn't be shocked if Hockensen is the pick. It's the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round draft picks where I don't think he has any success at.

Our 1st round picks in 2017 & 18 were awesome. Our 2nd round picks have been Anderson, a guy who was stuck behind two vets and Guice tore his ACL, unfair to give our front office a bad grade for Guice or Apke bc they got hurt. Moreau has flashed and Christian didn't look awful before he hurt his knee. Nicholson looked good as a rookie before his concussion - in fact, he looked like the answer at FS - last year he wasn't as good. 

It's still TBD on our 2nd, 3rd & 4th round picks from 2017 & 18. IMO to be expected. It's the first rounders who you expect to be definite starters and impact players as rookies and we've gotten that.

Hard to complain that much unless Anderson, Guice, Christian, Nicholson and Apke all end up busts. Then, it will look like some of our past GMs misses.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, taylor made said:

And there's been 4 of those years with no first round draft picks at Tight End. So its a very small sample size for a decade.

Most of the 1st round Tight Ends have been 'safe' picks. So its all about risk/reward. Very few have completely busted so if you are more of a conservative drafter, it is pretty obvious that Hockensen will be at least a solid player with a chance to be a Pro Bowl player.  He's not a guy that will get a GM fired that is for sure.

I agree with that, for the most part. They’ll probably pick him based on his lack of “total bust” potential. 

With that said, though, I don’t think there’s any other position (aside from special teams) that has failed to produce even one star player in the 1st round for a full decade.

Maybe that’s changing, with the recent re-emergence of TEs in the 1st round mix. But even with the 2017 trio (Engram, Howard, Njoku) looking promising — and the 2018 guy (Hurst) not so much — I’m not sure they’re better than the cohort of later round guys like Kittle, Andrews, Goedert, Chris Herndon, Ian Thomas, etc. 

If they take Hockenson at 15, I won’t revolt. He’s a great TE prospect, one of the best and most well-rounded in recent memory. He and Reed would make a nasty combo that would put any defense in the league under the gun. But I just couldn’t shake the feeling that we’d be better off looking at a more premium position earlier on and then trying our hand with a guy like Josh Oliver or Foster Moreau or Jace Sternberger in the early Day 3 range. 

• Like 2

To be honest, my fear is drafting Kyler Murray at 15. 

The next fear is Daniel Jones. 

After those two...T.J. Hockenson would be a solid addition considering our highly paid TE cant get on the field, our back up is 60 yrs old, and Sprinkle is not starting material. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I agree with that, for the most part. They’ll probably pick him based on his lack of “total bust” potential. 

With that said, though, I don’t think there’s any other position (aside from special teams) that has failed to produce even one star player in the 1st round for a full decade.

Maybe that’s changing, with the recent re-emergence of TEs in the 1st round mix. But even with the 2017 trio (Engram, Howard, Njoku) looking promising — and the 2018 guy (Hurst) not so much — I’m not sure they’re better than the cohort of later round guys like Kittle, Andrews, Goedert, Chris Herndon, Ian Thomas, etc. 

If they take Hockenson at 15, I won’t revolt. He’s a great TE prospect, one of the best and most well-rounded in recent memory. He and Reed would make a nasty combo that would put any defense in the league under the gun. But I just couldn’t shake the feeling that we’d be better off looking at a more premium position earlier on and then trying our hand with a guy like Josh Oliver or Foster Moreau or Jace Sternberger in the early Day 3 range. 

I love Hockenson, but sign me up for your plan.

I really like Oliver and we can get him much later

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mike23md said:

To be honest, my fear is drafting Kyler Murray at 15. 

The next fear is Daniel Jones. 

After those two...T.J. Hockenson would be a solid addition considering our highly paid TE cant get on the field, our back up is 60 yrs old, and Sprinkle is not starting material. 

I think the Cards are all in on Murray, so we don't have to worry about that.  

Daniel Jones is a huge worry.  I still have no idea how he is such a high prospect.  There's nothing I've seen to warrant it.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I kinda wonder what trade offers will be on the table for us? I can't imagine there will be a prospect someone wants so badly that they will be willing to part with anything worth moving back. 

Hopefully not a trade offer where we trade down a pick or two to then get a late round pick and the players we passed on end up being good to great while the guy we take is extremely inconsistent.

• Like 1

Does anyone have an idea what it would cost to go from pick 15 to 9? If the Giants really don't like Haskins an the Skins do there is a trade to be made I believe. Buffalo most likely is looking at wr or oline so dropping back 6 spots wouldn't stop them from probably getting their guy. We would jump Denver, Miami, and Cincinnati which all would be players for him.

Just off the top of my head here would pick 15, a third, and next years 2nd be to much or not enough?

If he is there at pick 9 I feel like we almost have to go and get him 

52 minutes ago, Bo Duke said:

Does anyone have an idea what it would cost to go from pick 15 to 9? If the Giants really don't like Haskins an the Skins do there is a trade to be made I believe. Buffalo most likely is looking at wr or oline so dropping back 6 spots wouldn't stop them from probably getting their guy. We would jump Denver, Miami, and Cincinnati which all would be players for him.

Just off the top of my head here would pick 15, a third, and next years 2nd be to much or not enough?

If he is there at pick 9 I feel like we almost have to go and get him 

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

It's a 300 point move according to this chart. So I think both of our 3rd round picks gets it done. Or our 2nd this year. I'm not sure what next year draft picks are valued at. But I'm in agreement with you and and made a whole thread on Haskins. I'm a fan and the value seems like a good deal for a potential franchise QB if he falls past the Giants. I don't think he gets past the Dolphins at #12.

34 minutes ago, taylor made said:

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

It's a 300 point move according to this chart. So I think both of our 3rd round picks gets it done. Or our 2nd this year. I'm not sure what next year draft picks are valued at. But I'm in agreement with you and and made a whole thread on Haskins. I'm a fan and the value seems like a good deal for a potential franchise QB if he falls past the Giants. I don't think he gets past the Dolphins at #12.

Next year's picks are valued at picks one year lower this year. So if you don't want to give up a 3rd this year, a 2nd next year has the same value.

The reason is related to the time value of money. Where the value of your money is always greater now than in the future.

Same holds true for picks. A pick this year is going to be more valuable than one you have to wait on to use next year. So in order to convince the team to wait a year to use the pick, you have to bump it up one round.

So if the team is amenable to the deal, @Bo Duke is correct. #15, a 3rd and next year's 2nd would get the deal done per the draft value chart.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Next year's picks are valued at picks one year lower this year. So if you don't want to give up a 3rd this year, a 2nd next year has the same value.

The reason is related to the time value of money. Where the value of your money is always greater now than in the future.

Same holds true for picks. A pick this year is going to be more valuable than one you have to wait on to use next year. So in order to convince the team to wait a year to use the pick, you have to bump it up one round.

So if the team is amenable to the deal, @Bo Duke is correct. #15, a 3rd and next year's 2nd would get the deal done per the draft value chart.

I wouldn't want to give up next years 2nd. So if Haskins was to be the target, I'd offer #15 and our two 3rd round picks from this years draft. 

• Like 1