Is it too early to focus on the 19 draft?

Doc Draper

I think I must look at QBs differently than most seem to. 

I think of acquiring players (especially draft prospects) at most positions to be like dating. If you need a date and you see someone you like, give it a try. See how it works. Maybe even try out a couple at a time, see who wins out. There’s some commitment, but if it doesn’t work out, you can get out of it pretty easily.

To me, investing heavily in a QB is a lot more like getting married. You need to be damn sure you’ve got the right one, because it’s brutal and painful if it doesn’t work out. It’s going to cost you years and a ton of money in the process, so you’re much better off with no spouse at all than the wrong spouse. Looking past someone’s flaws, ignoring all the reasons why it likely won’t work out, and forcing a marriage just because you feel like “it’s time” and you “need” to settle down with someone — that’s a recipe for disaster. 

And that’s how I feel when I see people talking about using a 1st or 2nd round pick on guys like Daniel Jones or Will Grier. That’s drafting a QB just for the sake of drafting one. Those guys are not even decent bets to be long-term franchise QBs. Their ceilings are probably on the Cousins/Dalton level, which is a first-class ticket to “decent.” Most likely, they’ll be career backups. Why would we force a pick like that, and commit ourselves to several seasons of trying to figure out whether there’s any chance they’ll ever justify our choice?

Wait for the right one, kids. That’s always a good life lesson. Hold out for Mr. Right — not Mr. Right-Now 😂

• Like 1

I don’t think Daniel Jones and Grier are on the same level as Lock, Haskins or Murray. I’m sort of being facetious when I say “I’d like to take Grier”. My ideal first two rounds is Lock and Harry with Guard and pass rusher in the third. I’d love to have Hollywood Brown but he’s going to be a first rounder. 

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I think of acquiring players (especially draft prospects) at most positions to be like dating. If you need a date and you see someone you like, give it a try. See how it works. Maybe even try out a couple at a time, see who wins out. There’s some commitment, but if it doesn’t work out, you can get out of it pretty easily.

To me, investing heavily in a QB is a lot more like getting married. You need to be damn sure you’ve got the right one, because it’s brutal and painful if it doesn’t work out. It’s going to cost you years and a ton of money in the process, so you’re much better off with no spouse at all than the wrong spouse. Looking past someone’s flaws, ignoring all the reasons why it likely won’t work out, and forcing a marriage just because you feel like “it’s time” and you “need” to settle down with someone — that’s a recipe for disaster. 

And that’s how I feel when I see people talking about using a 1st or 2nd round pick on guys like Daniel Jones or Will Grier. That’s drafting a QB just for the sake of drafting one. Those guys are not even decent bets to be long-term franchise QBs. Their ceilings are probably on the Cousins/Dalton level, which is a first-class ticket to “decent.” Most likely, they’ll be career backups. Why would we force a pick like that, and commit ourselves to several seasons of trying to figure out whether there’s any chance they’ll ever justify our choice?

Wait for the right one, kids. That’s always a good life lesson. Hold out for Mr. Right — not Mr. Right-Now 😂

So, don't draft a good QB in round 1, only ones who have elite potential. I guess is the moral?

Oh and trust me I understand stand you on the marriage stuff, going through some ish right now. Not fun.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

So, don't draft a good QB in round 1, only ones who have elite potential. I guess is the moral?

Oh and trust me I understand stand you on the marriage stuff, going through some ish right now. Not fun.

Yeah, in all honesty I’d rather trade up for Haskins than trade back for someone like Jones. I don’t even love Haskins, but to me he’s the only one who I could really reasonably envision being a top-level QB. He’s a big risk, but I don’t think there’s anything in the production, pedigree, or physical profile that would entirely disqualify him. 

And hang in there, my friend. These things do resolve themselves eventually, and somehow we come out better and stronger on the other side 👍🏼

• Like 1

9 hours ago, e16bball said:

Yeah, in all honesty I’d rather trade up for Haskins than trade back for someone like Jones. I don’t even love Haskins, but to me he’s the only one who I could really reasonably envision being a top-level QB. He’s a big risk, but I don’t think there’s anything in the production, pedigree, or physical profile that would entirely disqualify him. 

And hang in there, my friend. These things do resolve themselves eventually, and somehow we come out better and stronger on the other side 👍🏼

Ain't gonna happen for me, but I appreciate the kind words. Two years ago when your wife hands the rings to you and says its over, and nothing has changed, it's kinda like well... Nothing is going to change and we both need to move on with our lives to find someone to make us happy.

Edited by turtle28

8 hours ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

This Brian Burns dude from FSU is intriguing. Helluvan athlete with eye-popping numbers over his collegiate career, but so damn skinny.

We need a pass rusher so I wouldn’t be surprised if we take him. 

Yeah I'm intrigued. He's gained 10-15 pounds since college football season ends, but I feel he needs to get gain 10-15 more w/in the next year to really be effective vs the Run.

6’5, 250 is lean. Preston Smith is 6’5, 265. Kerrigan & Rak are 6’3, 260

Updated list of people we've talked to per walterfootball:

• Kendall Blanton, TE, Missouri (EW)
  • David Blough, QB, Purdue (EW)
  • Blake Cashman, ILB, Minnesota (COM)
  • Jon Duhart, WR, Old Dominion (EW)
  • Chuma Edoga, OT, USC (SR)
  • Jordan Ellis, RB, Virginia (EW)
  • Ryan Finley, QB, N.C. State (COM)
  • Cody Ford, OT/G, Oklahoma (COM)
  • Carl Granderson, DE/3-4OLB, Wyoming (SR)
  • Will Grier^, QB, West Virginia (COM, PRO)
  • Kelvin Harmon, WR, N.C. State (COM)
  • Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State (PRI)
  • Jesper Horstead, WR, Princeton (EW)
  • Tytus Howard^, OT, Alabama State (SR, PRI)
  • KeeSean Johnson, WR, Fresno State (EW)
  • Daniel Jones, QB, Duke (COM)
  • Nick Linder, C, Indiana (EW)
  • Chris Lindstrom, G, Boston College (PRI)
  • Drew Lock, QB, Missouri (PRO)
  • D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss (COM)
  • Foster Moreau, TE, LSU (SR)
  • Chris Peace, OLB, Virginia (EW)
  • Ryan Pope, OT, San Diego State (PRO)
  • Dalton Risner, OT, Kansas State (SR)
  • Tyler Roemer, OT, San Diego State (PRO)
  • Dru Samia, G, Oklahoma (SR)
  • Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina (COM)
  • David Sills, WR, West Virginia (SR)
  • Chris Slayton, DT, Syracuse (EW)
  • Jaylen Smith, WR, Louisville (SR)
  • Jarrett Stidham, QB, Auburn (COM)
  • Sione Takitaki, OLB, Brigham Young (EW)
  • Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida (COM)
  • Cody Thompson, WR, Toledo (EW)
  • Tre Watson, ILB, Maryland (EW)
  • Trevon Wesco, FB, West Virginia (SR)
  • Kevin Wilkins, DT, Rutgers (EW)
  • Renell Wren, DT/3-4DE, Arizona State (SR)
  • Terry Wright, WR, Purdue (EW)
  • Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple (SR)
  • Read more at http://walterfootball.com/ProspectMeetings/ByTeam#t5S5EwwjHTMSguJV.99

I hope that if we go QB its round 2 as opposed to round 1. I'd prefer round 3 if they go that route but I think that's highly unlikely. Grier is a safe round 2 bet and Daniel Jones isn't out of the realm of possibility to be had in the second either. I just feel like Jones there is too high to take the chance on.

I would hope they look to trade back if either of them two is on their radar, preferably as far back in the first if that presents itself.

The meat of this draft is in rounds 2-3. And I feel very strongly about that. Guard, Wr, Safety are big needs for us and you can find day 1 starters there pretty easily if they do their homework. Nothing would make me happier than ending up with two second rounders and three 3rds somehow. Build depth.

Going to be rather pi$$ed off if they waste pick 15 on Jones and probably looking at a broken television if they use that pick on Grier. No need to reach in this draft. Too much value in it

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bo Duke said:

I hope that if we go QB its round 2 as opposed to round 1. I'd prefer round 3 if they go that route but I think that's highly unlikely. Grier is a safe round 2 bet and Daniel Jones isn't out of the realm of possibility to be had in the second either. I just feel like Jones there is too high to take the chance on.

I would hope they look to trade back if either of them two is on their radar, preferably as far back in the first if that presents itself.

The meat of this draft is in rounds 2-3. And I feel very strongly about that. Guard, Wr, Safety are big needs for us and you can find day 1 starters there pretty easily if they do their homework. Nothing would make me happier than ending up with two second rounders and three 3rds somehow. Build depth.

Going to be rather pi$$ed off if they waste pick 15 on Jones and probably looking at a broken television if they use that pick on Grier. No need to reach in this draft. Too much value in it

If I’m taking a QB it’s in the first round. That 5th year option is far too valuable. 

We should go Lock or Haskins in Rd 1 if there.

If not, we should try to trade down & gather picks if possible. I would target CB, FS or LBer in Rd 1.

I would look for WR in rds 2 &/or 3. We could use a couple of them. There some speedsters I would target in that range. Isabella, Paris, etc.

I would look for OG's in Rd 5. As well as a RB. Should be some sleepers there.

Then TE's from Rd 6 on. Or other OL.

If we don't land a QB Rd 1, I would target Grier and/or Rypien in the draft as well.

Just my thoughts.

19 hours ago, e16bball said:

Honestly E the only QB in this draft that interests me is Clayton Thorson.I have the same feeling about him I had on Brady in 98 or what ever year he was drafted when we went for the lump from Stanford Husek?Not on the list of players we have contacted though.So who knows.I was angry when they didnt draft Brady,I will probably be angry again.And he can probably be had on day 3.