Is it too early to focus on the 19 draft?

Doc Draper

22 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

So I've seen a couple of mocks now with UVA's Juan Thornhill going as early as the first round.  I think he was pretty good but I'm surprised to find him rated that high, I was thinking more 2nd or 3rd round.  @Woz 

He had fallen down to mid-to-late 3rd before the Combine, but then jumped back up into the 2nd from what I had seen.

It seems like him, Taylor Rapp, and Nasir Adderley have all been jockeying for being the second safety off the board (behind Deionte Thompson).

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Au contraire mon frère...

2008 the Redskins traded back from 21 into the second round.

They passed on an OT named Sam Baker who could've started at RT for us year 1. Then, in 09 when Samuels hurt his neck, Baker could’ve shifted to LT where he played his entire career for Atl.

Round 2 we took Fred Davis over Calias Campbell with our natural 2nd round pick.

In 2011 we traded back from 11? To 17? With the Jags so they could take Bortles service. They passed on JJ Watt & Robert Quinn for Kerrigan. Not an awful trade back bc Kerrigan has been good and except for one year has been better than Quinn but Quinn does have a quicker first step/more speed.

Of course taking JJ Watt would've been a home run. I assume they didn't bc they had just signed Adam Carriker to a LTD.

I forget the rest of the picks we took w/ that trade down, maybe Hankerson and Helu?

Anyways, meh

IMO the play is to either trade up to ensure we get Haskins or Lock if they love them or stay put at take BPA. 

The au contraire to your au contraire:

• 2008 was 11 years ago
  • 2011 the target was Quinn, not Watt. No one expected the Rams to draft another pass rusher after getting Chris Long two or three years prior in at #3 (?). No one expected J.J. Watt to become J.J. Watt! (he was thought to be good, but not the All World player he became).
  • 2011 they also had a lot of needs. They drafted poorly. Happens.
  • Last year, they traded down in the second and still got Guice.

As for trading up ... ugh. There are too many holes on this roster to do that, especially when it's going to cost the team next year's first as well.

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Greedy is dropping because he’s outrageously overrated as a prospect. He’s a work in progress and I think the bust factor with him is extremely high. 

I’d be interested to know a couple areas (aside from tackling, especially) where you think he’s “outrageously overrated” and “a work in progress.”

• Like 1

After hearing Gruden at Owners Meetings its QB guys. Only way it's not is if they really like Grier and think he could be had in round 2. Other things of note a wr will be drafted high, he said we need more talent there. Ryan Anderson is going to get a legitimate chance to start. He lit up when talking about Trey Quinn. Either way I believe its qb/we in rounds 1 and 2.

Either going to be something like Lock/Deebo or Metcalf,Hollywood,Butler/Grier.

Can't really disagree with it, our offense needs an overhaul 

2 minutes ago, Bo Duke said:

After hearing Gruden at Owners Meetings its QB guys. Only way it's not is if they really like Grier and think he could be had in round 2. Other things of note a wr will be drafted high, he said we need more talent there. Ryan Anderson is going to get a legitimate chance to start. He lit up when talking about Trey Quinn. Either way I believe its qb/we in rounds 1 and 2.

Predicted live look in for the 2019 season if what you said comes to pass:

DimArcticLark-size_restricted.gif

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bo Duke said:

Don't believe anything your hear leading up to the draft.  

• Like 1

I know not to read into what is said, I just try to pick up on the demeanor on the topic they're discussing.

Quinn-safe

Anderson- starting ROLB

Cromartie- needs to start or he is gone, no talk of free safety 

Flowers- they have alot more faith in him than us

Keenum/McCoy- bridge for season( open competition)

Other than Murray, doesn't think any other qb in this draft ready to start right away. Seemed a little bothered by 1 year starting experience. Haskins may not be high on our board 

Acknowledged that we need help at wr.

Don't think he really wanted to see Crowder go

Expects Norman to play like a superstar, hes paid like one, similar comment on Landon Collins.

In no way, shape or form are they looking at situation like it's a rebuild. Mentioned people like Kerrigan and Trent Williams who want to win now.

After hearing his comments on communications, sounds like there may be one to many cooks in the kitchen.

Sounds like Dunbar's issues are behind him regarding nerve in his leg

And finally, believe it or not I actually think he's higher on Perine than I originally thought. ( I could see a move to fb) Didn't mention that but it would make sense 

Some other notes from Gruden's press conference today:

- He said that Landon Collins will earn his pay on Wednesday practices and Friday walkthroughs.   Ummm, ok?  

- When asked about Kevin O'Connell's new role he specifically talked about him gameplanning for Case Keenum and Colt McCoy.  

- He also mentioned that O'Connell brings a different perspective to the offense since he has been groomed in other systems coming up than Gruden's.  

- He hasn't talked to Alex Smith, wants him to focus on getting healthy.  Hopes he can come back next year.  

- Said they need to find a smart, fearless, quick player to play WR in the slot.  

- Said he heard Guice is healthy and ready to go.  

- A reporter asked if Keenum and McCoy would compete for the starting QB position in camp, he said yes it would be an open competition and he didn't mention drafting a QB (he likely wouldn't anyways but its interesting).

-  He batted away any discussion of Josh Rosen, said he's a good football player but why discuss him since he isn't a member of the Redskins.  

- Said he likes that DRC can play the slot.  Expect that he'll have to start at some point this season.

- He was asked specifically if they were comfortable staying with the QBs they have and waiting to draft one next year, he rambled a bit but essentially said yes.  He said that basically if you draft a rookie QB you have to play them sooner or later, and from his opinion he doesn't know if a rookie would see the field over Keenum or McCoy.  

- He kept giving glowing reviews of Colt McCoy over and over, basically saying he'd be a starter if he wasn't so unlucky getting injured (sigh).  

- Said he thinks Jordan Reed will start the season healthier than he's been in years.  Mentioned last year Reed had a lot of injuries before camp even started.

- He mentioned Geron Christian by name as a young player that needs to learn and get ready to play (this was after a lot of questions about injuries).  

- Mentioned Trent Williams and Morgan Moses could get reduced reps in practice to minimize risk of injury.  

Oh, and he was wearing a ridiculous jacket that made him look like a used car salesman.  

10 minutes ago, Bo Duke said:

I know not to read into what is said, I just try to pick up on the demeanor on the topic they're discussing.

Quinn-safe

Anderson- starting ROLB

Cromartie- needs to start or he is gone, no talk of free safety 

Flowers- they have alot more faith in him than us

Keenum/McCoy- bridge for season( open competition)

Other than Murray, doesn't think any other qb in this draft ready to start right away. Seemed a little bothered by 1 year starting experience. Haskins may not be high on our board 

Acknowledged that we need help at wr.

Don't think he really wanted to see Crowder go

Expects Norman to play like a superstar, hes paid like one, similar comment on Landon Collins.

In no way, shape or form are they looking at situation like it's a rebuild. Mentioned people like Kerrigan and Trent Williams who want to win now.

After hearing his comments on communications, sounds like there may be one to many cooks in the kitchen.

Sounds like Dunbar's issues are behind him regarding nerve in his leg

And finally, believe it or not I actually think he's higher on Perine than I originally thought. ( I could see a move to fb) Didn't mention that but it would make sense 

What press conference did you listen to because it appears to be a different one that I did.  Here's the one I listened to:

https://www.redskins.com/video/jay-gruden-live-at-the-nfl-annual-meetings 

20 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

- He said that Landon Collins will earn his pay on Wednesday practices and Friday walkthroughs.   Ummm, ok?  

You would assume the team would want him to earn his pay on Sundays (and the occasional Monday) ...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I didn't hear him mention Ryan Anderson or Flowers at all.  

I wouldn't lie to ya about that. It was near the first part of the interview right after the qb topic was discussed the first part of interview.  It's on the live stream.