Is it too early to focus on the 19 draft?

Doc Draper

8 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Our QB is 34 and doesn’t look promising. We can not have a back up or long term plan or we can draft a QB so that when we inevitably move on from Smith in 2020 that Lock, Grier, Haskins or whoever is ready to take over. 

So Lavar what do you think of some of the "talent" that its out there in FA this Spring?  Personally I rather look at a QB that has been a backup for a few years that maybe Doug Williams thinks he is starter material than spending a high pick in the draft when the talent this year is not off the charts.  I mean whatever happens we will probably not move from Smith until after the 2020 season if even then so IMO we can take a chance in FA, keep our picks and continue to get stronger on both sides of the ball with ILB/OLB Guard etc.

12 hours ago, Slateman said:

It doesnt matter. No talent in the draft can make up for Smith's shortcomings.

While true, Smith is going guaranteed to be here for two of those rookie QB's first four years (I don't see how the Redskins can draft a QB in the first round this year). Because of his contract, Smith will get the most snaps and hinder the development of said rookie.

Don't get me wrong. I would like to see a solid developmental QB on the roster.

I just don't see them doing it, outside of a late round/UDFA prayer kind of guy. At least in 2019. 2020 could be a completely different story.

2 hours ago, Woz said:

While true, Smith is going guaranteed to be here for two of those rookie QB's first four years (I don't see how the Redskins can draft a QB in the first round this year). Because of his contract, Smith will get the most snaps and hinder the development of said rookie.

Don't get me wrong. I would like to see a solid developmental QB on the roster.

I just don't see them doing it, outside of a late round/UDFA prayer kind of guy. At least in 2019. 2020 could be a completely different story.

Talk about late round/UDFA how about that kid for the 49s.  He broke almost every record for a rookie QB in his first game.  Granted it was against the Raiders but still, impressive.  Lets find a young stud that is willing to work hard and see what Gruden can do with him.

1 hour ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

Talk about late round/UDFA how about that kid for the 49s.  He broke almost every record for a rookie QB in his first game.  Granted it was against the Raiders but still, impressive.  Lets find a young stud that is willing to work hard and see what Gruden can do with him.

1. Mullins has played one game. Granted, he played lights out, but this is an incredibly small sample size.
  2. Mullins required injuries to three guys ahead of him.
  3. Mullins had almost no practice time (beyond maybe the scout team).

"Hope on a wing and a prayer" is not a viable plan. How many other late round/UDFA guys disappear into the mist?

7 hours ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

After Alexs dropoff from Reid to Gruden. And Cousins rise now gone. I wouldnt trust Gruden to get a qb ready for an ACC team.

This is a horrible QB class. Bad as when EJ and Geno came out. Desperation is going to have teams reaching and people wanting to reach. Just like talk around here when guys like Jake Locker and Ponder came out. Anyone watching their games knew they were no NFL qbs. But paper stat and Walter Football/Draft rankings readers wanted them awful on this board and elsewhere.

2020. Hopefully we can get a new coach that knows how to coach an offense and work a qb. With a thick draft at qb to grab from.

49 minutes ago, Woz said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2804576-2019-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-latest-projections-midway-through-nfl-season#slide22

College peeps, what do you think of Mack Wilson? (would be second LB off the board at 22, behind Devin White @ 10 to Oakland)

I've heard good things, but maybe it's also just lazy (and maybe correct) to place another Bama there. 

4 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I think Josh Allen from Kentucky goes ahead of him.

I believe Josh would go first too. But I think he goes before the 20s. So we could land a guy like Mack Wilson.

Which I wouldnt be against Wilson. He might be the best passer covering LB out there. Which could be mighty useful in covering the middle on short slants and keep him in great position to pursue dumpoffs at the point of attack.

• Like 1