Mike McCarthy Scheme

tannenballs

He wants his youth to evolve to the scheme at times, when maybe he needs to evolve to the youth. It doesn't even need to be either or... I mean we went to quick passing routes in Chicago and we came back. We can dink and dunk and run the ball and open up the play action or at least have the defense respecting the short game so then Rodgers can hold the ball for 7 seconds for his sports center highlights. I mean, Rodgers isn't even practicing all week. You are asking young guys who prob played in spread offenses (correct me if i'm wrong) and asking them to do a lot of Iso routes. So it's a foreign plan, and you're not even working routes with the guy who will throw you the ball Sunday. I think there is a place that both can exist, but we will see.

16 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

He wants his youth to evolve to the scheme at times, when maybe he needs to evolve to the youth. It doesn't even need to be either or... I mean we went to quick passing routes in Chicago and we came back. We can dink and dunk and run the ball and open up the play action or at least have the defense respecting the short game so then Rodgers can hold the ball for 7 seconds for his sports center highlights. I mean, Rodgers isn't even practicing all week. You are asking young guys who prob played in spread offenses (correct me if i'm wrong) and asking them to do a lot of Iso routes. So it's a foreign plan, and you're not even working routes with the guy who will throw you the ball Sunday. I think there is a place that both can exist, but we will see.

Did you catch Tom Brady’s comments today?  He said the NFL has become nothing but a glorified college game!  His reference was to the NFL offenses that have catered to their young QB’s, and how schemes have become much more college-like.  I don’t have an opinion one way or the other, but offenses like the Chiefs and Rams have a certain dynamic quality to them that certainly resemble a more ‘youthful’ essence.

On 10/9/2018 at 11:56 PM, Sasquatch said:

Did you catch Tom Brady’s comments today?  He said the NFL has become nothing but a glorified college game!  His reference was to the NFL offenses that have catered to their young QB’s, and how schemes have become much more college-like.  I don’t have an opinion one way or the other, but offenses like the Chiefs and Rams have a certain dynamic quality to them that certainly resemble a more ‘youthful’ essence.

I feel like it's been doing that a while. I talk about the college game trickling up all the time, for years. 

College is superior football anyways :)

I laughed at my eagles friends who were raving about RPO's and how cutting edge their offense was under deFillippo, Reich and Pederson

So I showed them a clip of the Packers running RPO's.... in 2009.
They were not amused

This is an older article, but it dives into some of MM's past as a quality control coach and how that influenced him in terms of match-ups + scheme

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/129296438.html

McCarthy grew up learning the basics of the West Coast offense under former Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Paul Hackett, a disciple of the offense's founder, Bill Walsh. The scheme is pretty easy when you break it down.

"The system took care of everything," McCarthy said. "It was about the precision and timing of the route running in accordance with the training of the quarterback. That was going to be better than what the defense could prepare for. That being said, you ran the system a certain way and stuck with it."

About the time he became offensive coordinator for the New Orleans Saints in 2000, his offensive philosophy changed. It wasn't as much about the system anymore, it was about the matchups. "When I became a quality-control coach, when I was spending so much time breaking down defenses, that's when I became so much more matchup conscious," McCarthy said. "Seeing how other people attacked matchups.

"Some people were systematic or all about the matchups. The ability to put together two schools of thought is something I felt that we were able to do here with our offense."

38 minutes ago, Norm said:

I feel like it's been doing that a while. I talk about the college game trickling up all the time, for years. 

College is superior football anyways :)

While I do quite enjoy college football, it is far inferior in terms of a contest, due to the big disparity between many teams. Here are the margins of victory in the first ten college games last week (week 6).

17/15/35/10/25/34/28/23/60/8.

You do have to pick your college game, if you want a good close contest (and that usually means knowing the result beforehand............something of a dilemma).

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

While I do quite enjoy college football, it is far inferior in terms of a contest, due to the big disparity between many teams. Here are the margins of victory in the first ten college games last week (week 6).

17/15/35/10/25/34/28/23/60/8.

You do have to pick your college game, if you want a good close contest (and that usually means knowing the result beforehand............something of a dilemma).

Which isn't hard. I'm not calling anyone lazy exactly, but once you know what's what, you can find good games. I was in this discussion one day, and at the time I had eleven games on, 11. Yes there are more *** kickings total. But there are plenty of his games if you know who to watch and watch the scores throughout Saturday. 

Like I get it, it's hard to get into if you didn't grow up on it, but lots of how they use negatives don't jive with me

1 hour ago, Norm said:

Which isn't hard. I'm not calling anyone lazy exactly, but once you know what's what, you can find good games. I was in this discussion one day, and at the time I had eleven games on, 11. Yes there are more *** kickings total. But there are plenty of his games if you know who to watch and watch the scores throughout Saturday. 

Like I get it, it's hard to get into if you didn't grow up on it, but lots of how they use negatives don't jive with me

It is worth adding that the main reason I like close college games, is that I'm always interested to see if anyone is standing out (as a possible draft pick next year). Blowouts just don't tell you nearly as much about individual talent as  close contests do. I am impressed by some of the college commentators as well, who are very well plugged in to the college football scene and good to listen to.

Archived