Shad Khan moving Jaguars in 2022?

.Buzz

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

It's in the article. Hasn't been the first time there's been this claim.

Gotta be honest, no way I'm following a London team.

"Previously, Kline claimed, he was told to stay quiet by Khan over his plans to buy Wembley and move the Jacksonville Jaguars to London in 2022."

Definitely sick of these discussions, but this report and all the rumors have been exhausting. With word recently on Twitter that they're likely going to two home games in London, etc. too...

Idk, I'm definitely going to pick up my support for a local team as a #2 I think in case. As I said, can't do a London team. 

5 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Kind of just sounds like a disgruntled ex-employee, tbh.

Khan has put a lot of money into Jacksonville. I'll believe this sort of stuff once Khan actually does something to warrant me not trusting him, tbh.

I feel like this is one of those cases where "a lot of money" is entirely relative.

Khan has certainly been a nice stabilizing presence (sometimes maybe too stable) in the owners chair of the Jaguars.  It's allowed them to eventually crawl out of the hole left by penny pinching cheapskate owners, and he's shown the largely hands-off patience to let things actually develop here.

But how much has he actually spent on Jacksonville to date?  He's spent a decent chunk on Stadium and Facilities upgrades...helping the team succeed and bolstering the value of both the team and the facilities.  But that stuff is a tiny drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things and if they move, Jacksonville is left holding the bag on facilities maintenance and all that stuff anyway.  Being the first major American "big 3" sports team in Europe is one of those moves that could be worth an absolutely unimaginable fortune.  Compared to the profitability of keeping it in Jacksonville...safer if you can keep the team competitive, but you're kinda capped at just raking in money, rather than potentially pulling in absurd ludicrous money.  And there's no guarantee of sustained competitiveness in the NFL business.

There's some patchwork philanthropic stuff in the community (pocket change for a multi-billionaire, and kinda bare minimum stuff to keep the masses placated).  Then there's this whole "Shipyards Project" which seems awesome, but is all done through some cutely named "Iguana" LLC to safely distance himself from it while also nicely teaming up with DeBartolo, who has a very shady record of his own.  As long as they get this project rammed through before they move the Jaguars...it may even be a profitable venture in prime waterfront real estate development, even if they move the Jaguars.  But that's just a win-win for Khan, even if he does move the Jaguars.

You look at what Khan did with his autoparts business...if that's the blueprint, he's got bigger and better things on the mind.  If he follows a similar approach...the Jaguars right now are his Flex-n-whatever company.  He's building them up into a strong enough brand to leverage that into enough to buy Wembley Stadium and the seeds to eventually move the Jaguars there fully and own that coveted "first international big 3 sporting team".  ie.  His Toyota contract endgame.

It's not like he's even got these deep Jacksonville roots or anything.  He's a guy who grew up and went to school up north, and lives in south florida along with a bunch of other obscenely wealthy owners of companies and teams and whatever else all over the place.  Florida is just a conveniently great state for the obscenely wealthy, with it's lax taxes, nice weather, and communities specifically designed for the comfort and safety of the extremely wealthy.

Imo, at the end of the day...never trust a multi-billionaire frat bro with a history of corporate ruthlessness to do anything other than make themselves richer.  If that can happen in Jacksonville, maybe that's where the team stays.  If London starts to present a more financially lucrative alternative as it potentially seems to be shifting toward...count on him to pounce on that.  Like a Jaguar, with a real misleading, "awww shucks" demeanor, and a quaint moustache.  But at this point, acting like Khan is somehow just too deeply invested in the Jacksonville community to ever move the team is become harder and harder to believe.  Take the Jaguars (who are hypothetically mobile) out of the equation...and his investments in London are massively larger.

Shipyards is the real sink,  so Jacksonville needs too make sure it is done.  There is NOTHING in downtown Jacksonville but the Jaguars. Even a riverside property will lose money if there is nothing to do there.  Khan would be a fool to build up downtown Jax with the shipyards only to move the  Jaguars.

London is an attractive money maker,  but it will always be one especially Wembley with or without the NFL. But if Khan pulls off shipyards,  he could, essentially be the king of Jacksonville from money and notoriety.

Khan is better off getting the best of both worlds. 

But that's all contingent on the Shipyards project. The rest of his investments are easily recoverable by a move to London

3 hours ago, Speedyg said:

Shipyards is the real sink,  so Jacksonville needs too make sure it is done.  There is NOTHING in downtown Jacksonville but the Jaguars. Even a riverside property will lose money if there is nothing to do there.  Khan would be a fool to build up downtown Jax with the shipyards only to move the  Jaguars.

London is an attractive money maker,  but it will always be one especially Wembley with or without the NFL. But if Khan pulls off shipyards,  he could, essentially be the king of Jacksonville from money and notoriety.

Khan is better off getting the best of both worlds. 

But that's all contingent on the Shipyards project. The rest of his investments are easily recoverable by a move to London

King of Jacksonville, vs bigshot of London.  How's that weigh out?

I'm not saying i've seen the signs that he's going to do it...But i'm saying i haven't seen enough signs that he couldn't and wouldn't do it...if the finances added up.

On 10/14/2018 at 2:36 PM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Can you imagine the chaos that would ensue after years of us telling people we will never move and all of a sudden they'd be right? We'd have to leave FF because it wouldn't ever stop. Any opinion you have will be followed up by "Remember when the Jaguars were never leaving Jacksonville?"

It's always a messy situation any time a franchise leaves regardless of the reason.  This isn't one of those things where both sides decide they want to split. When a team leaves,  it's never the city that wants them to (maybe politicians but not the people).

In fairness a lot of the argument and debate FOR the Jaguars not leaving Jacksonville is due to the lease agreement with the city...a lease which I believe ends sometime in the 202X.

It seemed far away back in 2008 when we were in black out territory,  but we'll be in 2019 in a few months already. 

I don't think Khan is devious that he's doing all this just to move the Jaguars.  But he's certainly giving himself an alternative if Jax doesn't support the team enough

Archived