Week 6 GDT: KC @ NE

onejayhawk

5 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

Only saw the 4th quarter, got up at 4:30 AM to do so. Just one remark:

If only Hitchens and Ragland could/would tackle.

Hitchens especially looked like a blocking dummy during the last NE drives.

Yeah, Hitchens struggled mightily with those swing routes against White late in the game.

12 minutes ago, Habbsawce said:

They so badly need help at the LB and CB positions. Just not good enough. When you need a stop, they just didn't get it. Imaging scoring 40 points and losing, insane to think about.

LB and S more than LB and CB, IMO. The CBs are normally roughly where they should be, but we run single high so much, and that combined with how much our offense scores means we get attacked on way more go routes than just about any team should. The receivers aren't normally wide open or anything, but just like we're going to throw to Hill if we ever see him 1 on 1 on a go, most teams will do the same with their best player or two. We used to go safety heavy to kind of offset that. Have Parker and Berry or Parker and Murray as at least potential deep zone guys pre-snap, because if we needed a safety on a TE or RB we could have Berry or Sorensen in the box for that. Hurt us in the run, but it allowed us to have deep coverage while still putting safeties on guys like Gronk or White. With basically just Parker and Lucas, you had to go single high in order to get one of them on Gronk (and they actually did an excellent job against Gronk, by the way), which also meant a LB was your only option for White. So if NE went heavy enough for us to have 2 LBs, you'd have Smith on White that was fine, but if they went 11 personnel if left just Hitchens to cover White which was a mismatch. No Houston and Kpass also meant less pass rushers and less fresh pass rushers.

CB I honestly think we matched up fine. But we need like two of our safeties back. One of the box guys and one of the rangy guys. We need HItchens to speed up from a processing perspective. Or we need to look aggressively for a 3 down LB next year.

It would help a bit getting more of a prototype kind of player at outside CB. All of our guys are quick, agile, and good at covering the underneath stuff. None of them are the guys you envision going up high and contesting a jump ball on a go route or anything. But I think better deep safety play would help more than that.

1 hour ago, jimmydee said:

What KC Guy said....tackle somebody for God's sake.  Pitiful...…..We need a thumper in the middle and we do not have him on the roster.

Ragland is a fine thumper, personnel groupings just preclude you from having a thumper on the field most of the time. Ragland saw basically the same number of snaps as their FB and backup TEs did combined, because you can't afford to have him out there when they're running Edelman/Hogan/Gordon/Gronk/White. Motion White out and you have Ragland on White or Gronk.

Agreed on LB and S.  I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the CB play.

I think Hitchens is our thumper,  I said when we picked him up that he is much better at attacking.   He’s adequate in coverage but it’s not what he’s best at.   Ragland just looks slow, I know he’s not the quickest guy, but he looks REALLY slow this year.    Would love to see a Deion Jones guy in this defense.

Safety wise.  Just need some healthy bodies and while I was glad Ron Parker came back, I hope it is him that sees less PT and not Lucas

16 hours ago, samsel23 said:

Agreed on LB and S.  I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the CB play.

I think Hitchens is our thumper,  I said when we picked him up that he is much better at attacking.   He’s adequate in coverage but it’s not what he’s best at.   Ragland just looks slow, I know he’s not the quickest guy, but he looks REALLY slow this year.    Would love to see a Deion Jones guy in this defense.

Safety wise.  Just need some healthy bodies and while I was glad Ron Parker came back, I hope it is him that sees less PT and not Lucas

Lucas has impressed, IMO. I honestly think he's the best safety we've played so far this season. Good confidence, good instincts. More athletic than Parker at this point. And he was like 6th on the depth chart to start. If we could ever get Berry back, I'd be pretty comfortable with a safety group of Berry, Lucas, Watts, and Sorensen. I don't know that I expect anything of Murray anymore. Good special teams, I suppose.

Not really related to the post, but I do think it should be said, Speaks deserves some credit. He's played quite well the past two weeks after a really frightening start to the season.

Jac and Sam....unless I totally missed something, I saw Ragland and Hitchins back peddling and out of position a good deal of the time.  Neither showed me that they wrap up and finish the job.  You both say they are Thumpers.....need to see it. Hope I'm wrong....maybe scheme, but if it is, they need a "new scheme", cause both disappointed.

29 minutes ago, jimmydee said:

Jac and Sam....unless I totally missed something, I saw Ragland and Hitchins back peddling and out of position a good deal of the time.  Neither showed me that they wrap up and finish the job.  You both say they are Thumpers.....need to see it. Hope I'm wrong....maybe scheme, but if it is, they need a "new scheme", cause both disappointed.

I’m super down on Ragland right now.

His comment about them being better once they get players back from injury,  worried me, from his perspective because ILB imo is our weak spot and that’s not about injuries.  

Hitchens I just think we’re trying to fit him into DJ’s old spot and he’s much better when he’s the aggressor.  Like Jac said, he’s slow to process right now, maybe he’s still learning, but he’s much better at blowing stuff up than seeing a play develop and diagnosing.  

6 hours ago, jimmydee said:

Hitchens is being asked to play DJ's old 3 down spot. I think Samsel's point was that he's capable of being a thumper. That isn't his current role in the defense, though. Ragland definitely is a thumper. Doesn't mean he's playing well right now, but that's the role he is suited for and he's done it before.

Archived