Potential Personnel Moves

Just Want A Title

I read a couple of interesting things this morning.  The Lions brought in Tank Carradine for a look.  He was playing pretty will with the 49rs once they figured out he wasn't very good at trying to play at 295Lbs.  He was cut by the Raiders but considering the state of the coaching staff that wouldn't scare me.  I think he could be another under-the-radar signing that could provide decent production.

I also read the Deone Buchanon is on the trading block.  He may be mostly an in-the-box safety but he has been pretty good in the past.  Should we take a shot?

I don’t know who Quinn might take a run at but I read somewhere that it was expected Quinn would try and be active before the trade deadline. 

The secondary is banged up and the pass rush from the line is terrible.

If Ansah can get on the field that’s a big step for the line. If they could add another lineman that would be significant.

I guess it all depends who’s available at what cost. Quinn doesn’t seem to be foolish, so I don’t expect he would overpay.

From what I've heard  Ansah probably wont be on the team next year...and from a personal stand point I wouldn't be handing out big money for Ziggy the guy is injury prone and this year proved that! I do believe he's on the franchise tag this year but does that give the lions any value? like as in draft picks if traded...would we be saving a lot of money for the cap? Like is there any good to come out of this?

4 hours ago, MortexLion said:

From what I've heard  Ansah probably wont be on the team next year...and from a personal stand point I wouldn't be handing out big money for Ziggy the guy is injury prone and this year proved that! I do believe he's on the franchise tag this year but does that give the lions any value? like as in draft picks if traded...would we be saving a lot of money for the cap? Like is there any good to come out of this?

Ansah is on the franchise tag this year which means his salary is guaranteed. If they trade him the remaining salary would transfer to the new team so none of the remaining salary would be dead cap space. Ansah has already been paid about $5.3 million in game checks for this season so that money has already been applied to this year's cap, so that is basically "dead cap" right now. The Lions would save roughly $11.8 million if they traded him right now. That money would be rolled over to next year. So, trading Ansah would save them $11.8 million for this season, which would essentially be useless right now, but then they can roll over that extra cap space for their spending next season. Cap space would be the big benefit from trading Ansah, that extra money would let them retain someone like Golden Tate next year very comfortably while also being able to go out and get a handful of free agents.

They could potentially get a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2020 if they keep Ansah for now and let him walk after the season, but he would have to sign a massive contract for that to happen (unlikely with his injury issues) and they would also have to refrain from signing someone to an equally large contract (would be difficult to replace him without spending that much). If they sign someone to a contract of a similar yearly value then the contracts will off-set and they won't receive a compensatory draft pick. The difficult part is finding someone to actually trade for Ansah. He's been injured, he's due a lot of money, and, since he's on a franchise tag, he can't negotiate a contract extension. He's an expensive injured rental player. It's unlikely a team would send a valuable draft pick for him. They'd be lucky to get a decent draft pick, like a 4th, for him at this point. 

A potential trade would be sending him to Arizona. The Cardinals don't really need Ansah, they have Chandler Jones and Markus Golden already, but they may be interested in Ansah if they think they won't be able to re-sign Golden after this season (he will be an unrestricted free agent). The Cardinals have been rumored to be shopping Deone Bucannon and Haason Reddick. If Patricia thinks he can find a spot in the defense for those guys, then it might be a possibility. That would at least be a trade that would work financially for both teams. 

12 hours ago, Millenhater said:

Hassan riddick is available. Depending on the price I'd love to go after him. Think he fits our d perfectly

I don't think I'd mind this addition. Idk what they'd want for him but he could provide a little depth on the outside. Lions, if they're serious about a run, should make a move for some sort of pass rusher/ D-linemen. 

I just read an article that Jon Gruden is shopping Karl Joseph and could be shopping Amari Cooper also:

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-raiders-shopping-former-first-163641362.html

I think Gruden has lost his mind but maybe the Lions can benefit from his insanity.  Gareon Conley or Karl Joseph would be great additions to our defense.

On 10/15/2018 at 8:37 PM, Millenhater said:

Patrick Peterson is on the block. Thoughts?

My thought? What about the draft... pretty good looking draft.. hard to do these types of moves with such a good draft is my thought. I'd be trying to trade guys too.. 

2 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

My thought? What about the draft... pretty good looking draft.. hard to do these types of moves with such a good draft is my thought. I'd be trying to trade guys too.. 

I would trade Tate. As much as I hate to see him leave. 

Archived