...just maybe...

navysaintsfan

1 hour ago, Mid Iowa said:

Maybe what we really need is to replace Aaron Glenn, our secondaries coach. You can't tell me that our D-backs are this dumb on a perennial basis.

Lattimore is smart, and he got his skill from his former coach at Ohio State, Kerry Coombs, who is now at the Titans. In Lattimore's 2nd year, we've seen him slide a bit. I can't help but to think a new face back there could brighten things up. Perhaps a lot.

We ruin DBs like nobody else can. 

2 minutes ago, Dome said:

All the time? I could maybe think of a time or two it’s happened if I sat down and tried.  

Gimme a handful of examples. I’m whiffing.

It's mostly in regards to basketball than football, since in season trades almost never happen due to the nature of the game, but I think Jimmy G is probably the most recent.  For awhile they weren't trading him, they weren't trading him, then like Jimmy G is getting traded to the 49ers...

5 minutes ago, Raves said:

It's mostly in regards to basketball than football, since in season trades almost never happen due to the nature of the game, but I think Jimmy G is probably the most recent.  For awhile they weren't trading him, they weren't trading him, then like Jimmy G is getting traded to the 49ers...

That was more an internal struggle with BB wanting to keep Jimmy than them setting it up to get a better deal though. The move actually hurt his value cause teams wanted him going into a new season, not halfway through the year.

Not to mention that saga played out over 12+ weeks. The deadline to land Peterson is one week. 

8 minutes ago, Dome said:

That was more an internal struggle with BB wanting to keep Jimmy than them setting it up to get a better deal though. The move actually hurt his value cause teams wanted him going into a new season, not halfway through the year.

Not to mention that saga played out over 12+ weeks. The deadline to land Peterson is one week. 

Fair.  I still think that he'll be traded if a team offers the right price and that's what the whole "we're not trading him" talk is all about.  They'd prefer to keep him, but knowing he isn't happy and if a team is willing to give them the right price, they will let him go.  They obviously aren't competing this year, so why not get some picks to build around their young QB they just drafted, especially since they already let how many of their other top players leave in FA?

Just now, Raves said:

Fair.  I still think that he'll be traded if a team offers the right price and that's what the whole "we're not trading him" talk is all about.  They'd prefer to keep him, but knowing he isn't happy and if a team is willing to give them the right price, they will let him go.  They obviously aren't competing this year, so why not get some picks to build around their young QB they just drafted, especially since they already let how many of their other top players leave in FA?

I agree that’s what they SHOULD do. Very foolish to just shut the door on any offers.

but I fear he might be serious. He’s a new coach, he’s seen the backlash of trading a great defensive player away. 

He might not do it, I think he’s serious

13 minutes ago, Dome said:

I agree that’s what they SHOULD do. Very foolish to just shut the door on any offers.

but I fear he might be serious. He’s a new coach, he’s seen the backlash of trading a great defensive player away. 

He might not do it, I think he’s serious

The difference is that the Raiders had expectations going into the season, the Cardinals had none of those not to mention are looking atrocious and one great defensive player isn't going to fix that.  It's going to be at least 2 years before the Cards can realistically expect to compete in the NFC West.

11 minutes ago, Raves said:

The difference is that the Raiders had expectations going into the season, the Cardinals had none of those not to mention are looking atrocious and one great defensive player isn't going to fix that.  It's going to be at least 2 years before the Cards can realistically expect to compete in the NFC West.

That’s true. The other difference is Gruden is a SB winning coach. He’s gonna have more freedom, he’s gonna put his system in and make things work his way. Hes moving to a new exciting city. He’s on a 10 year deal. He’s in a very different situation than Wilks.

sometiems less respected guys are on a shorter leash. It’s definitely possible Wilks doesn’t have the support from his players staff and boss to feel safe making a move like that.

1 minute ago, Dome said:

That’s true. The difference is Gruden is a SB winning coach. He’s gonna have more freedom, he’s gonna put his system in and make things work his way. Hes moving to a new exciting city. He’s on a 10 year deal. He’s in a very different situation than Wilks.

sometiems less respected guys are on a shorter leash. It’s definitely possible Wilks doesn’t have the support from his players staff and boss to feel safe making a move like that.

If he doesn't have that support then he should be fired immediately and they should look for another HC.  If you hire someone and they don't have your support, the support of the players, or of the staff that they put together, then it's only going to get worse from here.  Like worse than the Browns worse.

18 minutes ago, Raves said:

If he doesn't have that support then he should be fired immediately

Support for your HC is not blind nor is it unconditional. If everyone around you believes Peterson should stay, you may be wise to keep him around. 

Every coach can and does make moves that earn eyebrow raises from their staff and boss(es). Most of them know it’s good to avoid those moves when you can. Unless you feel strongly about moving a player or pick, you kinda want to go with the flow of your organization and not be a rouge operator, especially as a first year coach with no creditials to speak of

not saying this is definitely the case. But I felt like he was being genuine when he said it, and I feel like the reasoning I laid out is a lot more common with new coaches than you’re suggesting with your “fire him immediately then” talk. It’s not that black and white IMO

5 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Raves

Saints give up a 4th and 7th for Eli Apple who by all accounts appeared to be having a good season thus far... Thoughts??? Buckeye duo on the edge!

Great talent, has the potential of being Lattimore but for whatever reason didn't workout well with the Giants, I didn't follow him with them so I don't know.  I think especially considering what we gave up to acquire him this can only be considered a huge win for us, especially if Dennis Allen decides to go to more man coverage, I think him and Lattimore could do some work against opponents.  

Eli Apple
57th ranked corner overall by PFF (64.1)
75th in yards per coverage snap
7 total missed tackles (T-8th in NFL)
246/297 total defensive snaps have come from the LCB spot

Saints current LCB: Ken Crawley
111th ranked corner overall by PFF (47.9)
113th in yards per coverage snap
2 total missed tackles
201/348 total defensive snaps have come from the LCB spot

Now I know PFF is sketchy, but this paints a picture of a guy who is definitely not PP, but will do enough to hold down the LCB opposite Latt.

The guy is less than a year older than Latt. I will be the world Payton and co., spoke to Urban Meyer about Apple and his issues. He was terrible last season, but apparently this season he has been better.

Price is decent for a guy still on his rookie deal, maybe a change of scenery will help. Gosh I hope it works out. 

9 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

Eli Apple
57th ranked corner overall by PFF (64.1)
75th in yards per coverage snap
7 total missed tackles (T-8th in NFL)
246/297 total defensive snaps have come from the LCB spot

Saints current LCB: Ken Crawley
111th ranked corner overall by PFF (47.9)
113th in yards per coverage snap
2 total missed tackles
201/348 total defensive snaps have come from the LCB spot

Now I know PFF is sketchy, but this paints a picture of a guy who is definitely not PP, but will do enough to hold down the LCB opposite Latt.

The guy is less than a year older than Latt. I will be the world Payton and co., spoke to Urban Meyer about Apple and his issues. He was terrible last season, but apparently this season he has been better.

Price is decent for a guy still on his rookie deal, maybe a change of scenery will help. Gosh I hope it works out. 

Look up the Stats for Lattimore, the ones I saw didn't paint him in a much better picture than Apple.

Archived