...just maybe...

navysaintsfan

8 minutes ago, Raves said:

Look up the Stats for Lattimore, the ones I saw didn't paint him in a much better picture than Apple.

Actually IIRC (I got them off Reddit) Apple is ranked slightly higher than Lattimore thus far. I think the take away for us should be that we're getting someone who is playing decently well this season, can play outside and in the slot and do well in man-to-man.

The whole reason we keep having to play prevent zone late in games is because Crawley/PJ Williams has sucked in man-to-man. That obviously hasn't worked out too well for us. If he can give us production anywhere near what Latt has this season, we're laughing with this to the bank. The #2 CB spot has been one of the biggest weakness' in our defense this season (the other being communication, see Lattimore and Bell bungle for the last TD). If we can improve on that, and on the surface this seems to be one, our D on the whole improves a ton. I also believe him and his mom have been very complimentary of the Saints going back to last season. If there is any environment he can thrive in, it's this one.

Apple has talent and ability and is only 23 years old with 2 years on his rookie deal with a 5th year option... Id have to imagine hed be a natural fit with Lattimore and Bell, 2 of his former college teammates. This move also allows the Saints to play Crawley in the slot with P-Rob on IR.

I think its smart... Saints bought low and hope to hit a home run but by the numbers it appears they got better in the secondary today.

14 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Apple has talent and ability and is only 23 years old with 2 years on his rookie deal with a 5th year option... Id have to imagine hed be a natural fit with Lattimore and Bell, 2 of his former college teammates. This move also allows the Saints to play Crawley in the slot with P-Rob on IR.

I think its smart... Saints bought low and hope to hit a home run but by the numbers it appears they got better in the secondary today.

If I remember @whodatworm23, you were very high on Apple as a potential landing spot to the Saints going into that years draft. If I'm wrong....disregard:D

2 hours ago, jcvoodoo said:

If I remember @whodatworm23, you were very high on Apple as a potential landing spot to the Saints going into that years draft. If I'm wrong....disregard:D

I'm pretty sure all of us here were high on Roby, Apple, Conley, and Lattimore each of those years.

On 10/24/2018 at 4:35 AM, jcvoodoo said:

I was... I had Eli in my bubble at 12 for the Saints along with Leonard Floydd and Sheldon Rankins, however Rankins was my perfered choice out of the 3 but yes I was high on Apple out of college. 

I wasn't high on the idea of trading for him last season when he was having his issues in NY but this offseason there were nothing but high praise for him on his maturity and hes so young with such a talented skillset at a affordable rate for the cost of a 4th round pick... The Saints had to make this deal.

7 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

I wasn't high on the idea of trading for him last season when he was having his issues in NY but this offseason there were nothing but high praise for him on his maturity 

Agreed. Looking back at last off-season after his apparent turnaround this year, it’s hard to separate the “bad Apple” from the rest of the drama happening in NY. Who knows if he ever has that rough patch he did in a better environment.

4 hours ago, Dome said:

Agreed. Looking back at last off-season after his apparent turnaround this year, it’s hard to separate the “bad Apple” from the rest of the drama happening in NY. Who knows if he ever has that rough patch he did in a better environment.

Exactly... In a way alot of his issues stemmed from his mom and how she was behaving, the word also was that he confided in Landon Collins who basically felt that Apples family issues were open to share with the lockerroom which caused obvious conflict between he and Apple as well as other players on that team. The Giants former office personnel also made it obvious that Apple wasnt even their 2nd choice for the 10th pick when they were set on either Leonard Floydd or Jack Conklin but were suprised to see both players come off the board before the 10th pick leaving Apple as their constlation prize.

I dont think the kid ever really felt welcome or at home in NY... At least in NOLA hes back with his boys (OSU) and will feel wanted. The hope is he feels that and it allows him to focus solely on football and it allows him to realize his potential which is high.

I'm hoping we have a "steal of the year" story at the end of this season.
I want to talk, once again, about how good our scouting department is in pulling up note on Apple and moving with him over Peterson.
I want to talk about how Loomis didn't have to try to stretch out our draft to pick up Patrick Peterson, but instead got a great deal with a 4th and 7th in two separate drafts.

And finally, how sweet it is to hoist the Lombardi again, for the fans, the team, and Brees, all due to the proper acquisitions at the right time.

On 10/25/2018 at 8:18 PM, Mid Iowa said:

I want to talk, once again, about how good our scouting department is in pulling up note on Apple and moving with him over Peterson.
I want to talk about how Loomis didn't have to try to stretch out our draft to pick up Patrick Peterson, but instead got a great deal with a 4th and 7th in two separate drafts.

The price for Peterson woulda been too great I think. To clarify here, the word great means huge. 

My opinion of Apple is that whilst he is not Peterson, he (Eli) offers a different play style that meshes more with the defenses Dennis Allen offers. And, maybe now, Allen can get more creative... especially since the defense is starting to gel.

Archived