#GDT - #1 Jags Defense vs. #8 Cowboys Defense

DaBoys

28 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

http://www.footballperspective.com/correlating-passing-stats-with-wins/

I will try to write this in very simple terms so you can understand. 

Passing yards only have an extremely low correlation to winning. Here, maybe an NFL QB can explain it:

:D

We aren't hurting for passing yards because we are winning so damn much, Matt. 

He isn't wrong that yards =/= wins.

Much like making more 3's in Basketball doesn't mean you win.

Efficiency matters.

Only Dak isn't efficient - or rather effective - and the conversation was about Blake being superior in this game, which by every statistical metric should be very likely sans QB Rush. So I am not at all sure why we are down the wrong rabbit hole here.

29 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

He isn't wrong that yards =/= wins.

Much like making more 3's in Basketball doesn't mean you win.

Efficiency matters.

Only Dak isn't efficient - or rather effective - and the conversation was about Blake being superior in this game, which by every statistical metric should be very likely sans QB Rush. So I am not at all sure why we are down the wrong rabbit hole here.

I'm not arguing that yards automatically mean you win.  C'mon.

Just defending that they ARE good. Trying to get yards and not being able IS bad. Yards = good. Punts = bad. I'm tired of people lessening the importance of quantifiable QB production to help their personal perceptions of the intangible leader Dak.

To the Dak vs. Blake debate. Yes he should beat Dak in every major category. Yards passing. TDs. Comp%, YPA etc.......

AND rushing:

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2018/9/10/17843822/nfl-all-time-records-blake-bortles-yards-per-carry-average-among-any-quarterback-ever

Just in case you ain't know.

7 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

If Blake Bortles out performs Dak, would you all like to join me in a mass suicide pact? 

No, because I expect him to. I expect 2-3 turnovers from Dak on Sunday in an ugly loss. The score may be close, but I expect his performance to be brutal.

3 hours ago, DaBoys said:

@Matts4313 if what you are saying is true does that mean Daks numbers this year are a bit inflated? Because we are losing so much.

And why was Daks best game this year yardage wise a win?

Yardage doesnt correlate to losing either goofball. 

Thats what the word correlate means.

26 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

yup, about 3x as high as passing yards. Its all in the link I posted. 

Interesting. I've read before that ANY/A is the best stat for measuring QB play.

For those interested, Dak Prescott's 2016 ANY/A of 7.86 is the second highest of any rookie QB post-merger. This year, he's down at 4.88, 33rd in the league, which... yikes. Don't think either side is necessarily wrong about him. He's obviously shown promise but needs to step his game up, pronto.

5 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Interesting. I've read before that ANY/A is the best stat for measuring QB play.

For those interested, Dak Prescott's 2016 ANY/A of 7.86 is the second highest of any rookie QB post-merger. This year, he's down at 4.88, 33rd in the league, which... yikes. Don't think either side is necessarily wrong about him. He's obviously shown promise but needs to step his game up, pronto.

ANY/A is considered the most accurate measure. Actually ANY/A's delta over your opponent. Its somewhere in the 80% correlation to winning. 

Where as passing yards have almost no correlation. Passing attempts and INT's (duh) are both negative correlation. 

Is it just me or does it seem like when Dallas plays a team that they say Dallas has little chance to win that Dallas plays better. And when Dallas plays teams they're supposed to win that they end up playing worse. Dallas can be so dr. Jekyll and mr. Hyde that it wouldn't surprise me if Dallas' piss poor offense actually has a great game against the Jags number 1 defense. Why I do not know but it seems like Dallas has this kind of unpredictability about them. So since we're supposed to lose we will win

Archived