Gameday Thread - Redskins vs. Packers 8/19

MKnight82

53 minutes ago, mar29020 said:

just finished watching the 1st half. the offense looked really bad and even struggled against GB's second team. things are not looking good.

It's preseason, they don't have Reed, they have 2 new starting outside WRs & Crowder has missed weeks of practice time. Crowder said he made a few wrong reads in his option routes and he wasn't happy with his play despite the TD. Pryor said they aren't even game planning and if they were they could prepare specifically for their D, change a play or make adjustments to make improvements. They'll do that stuff in the regular season.

I'm still most concerned about the run blocking of the OL, that has to improve or else our O will always be predictable- particularly in the redzone - which has been a problem for 2 years. Not being able to gain 4 ypc, get a 3rd/4th & 1 and punch it in from inside the 5 yard line is a problem I never envisioned a Redskins offense having because of how great they've been at that for 45 years straight!

1. The Redskins’ starting offensive line really needs to stop with this Hogs 2.0 thing they’ve got going on.
While they pass blocked fairly well, they have been awful blocking for the run. That was the original Hogs’ calling card. Trent Williams said all of the right things about patience and the preseason being a learning experience.

But the fact is that they need to put Hogs 2.0 back into beta and re-release it when they have done something to earn it.

2. If you say that Kirk Cousins had a good night, you are using statistics like a drunk uses a lamppost—for support and not for illumination.
He did end up with good numbers (14 of 23 for 144 yards and a touchdown), but he three incompletions after being given the ball in the red zone after a turnover were positively alarming, given what an issue the red zone was last year.

If this team is going to win this year it’s going to be because Cousins is moving the ball through the air.

3. Rob Kelley had nine yards on nine carries but it’s really not right to put the blame on him. 

4. I know that everyone would have liked for the offense to perform better. 
A trio of three-and-outs for the first-team offense, running their streak to five straight possessions without a first down to start the season, is not what anyone wants to see.

While the defense may be improved this year, if this team is going to win they are going to need to put up a lot of points and that is not off to a good start.

5. While the focus has been on the offense, the defense played pretty well. 
Aaron Rodgers did Aaron Rodgers things but he’s the best for a reason. Almost half of the Packers’ 110 rushing yards came from quarterbacks scrambling and that is something you’d like to contain but you can live with.

5 hours ago, Jlash said:

Skins fans, update me on my boy Chase Roullier plz. 

Roullier looked good vs the Packers back ups. I didn't seen any major problems he had. I think there's a good chance he makes it and is Long's back up. If I remember correctly Kalis had a holding call or something but the back up OL did much better this week and they opened up holes for Perine. Kouandjio seemed like he did ok as well, I didn't pay that close attention to the OL though I was watching the position players and Qbs more.

Nickel Package (Allen & Ioannidis)- Jonathan Allen and Matt Ioannidis took 11 of the first-team defense's 13 snaps in the nickel, after taking all three such snaps last week.

Allen scored a nice TFL on a screen pass, but failed to record any other traditional stats. He also was not able to get any pressures, after doing so on three occasions against the Ravens.

Ioannidis recorded a solo tackle and hit Hundley on the aforementioned screen.

Joey Mbu- Joey Mbu dominated the Packers on the opening drive of the third quarter. He teamed with Lynden Trail for a gain of two on a Jamaal Williams run, stuffed Williams for a loss of 5 on the ensuing play and then team with Chris Carter for a sack on third down.

Mike Daniels stands up Scherff on this run play and makes the tackle on Kelley. I remember this play because there was a hole, Kelley was slow to the hole and Scherff couldn't seal Daniels and cut him off from making the tackle on Kelley.

Archived