Haley’s belief in Baker.

buno67

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/baker-mayfield-has-already-made-todd-haley-a-believer-and-the-browns-future-bright-and-more-notes/

great about Haley talking about baker

”Todd Haley told me about how, after his receivers were dropping balls and making mistakes early in Mayfield's first start, at Oakland, the youngster took command of the sideline and called the veterans over and let them have it a bit and coached them up and then went out and scored on three straight drives. It was just a snippet of the way coaches are already willing to delegate to him at times, and teammates continue to galvanize around him.”

not gonna lie, the whole leader of men crap they talked about early on when talking about Baker, I thought was just lip service. Just saying stuff to make him sound better before the draft. But man, this stuff is legit. I can’t remember a rookie coming to this team and being this well respected. 

I’ve always been a believer of the “leader of men” personality and seen it first hand.

It’s just something that’s talked about so much by every QB prospect’s colllege coach that it’s overplayed.

Baker seems to be the real deal.  Grown men look to him and follow his lead.  That’s a rare trait.

44 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’ve always been a believer of the “leader of men” personality and seen it first hand.

It’s just something that’s talked about so much by every QB prospect’s colllege coach that it’s overplayed.

Baker seems to be the real deal.  Grown men look to him and follow his lead.  That’s a rare trait.

I know he would be respected because of his ability and personal. I just assume that about every starting QB. Just because to be the QB you are naturally going to be the leader. I just thought it be lip service that he is a leader of men and it’s something that like carry over. Again, just thought it carry over when he became the starter and naturally he would be the leader again. 

But in reality, Baker just has that IT factor. That even early on guys were attracted to him, respected, and listened to him. To me it’s been one of the few times that we have seen someone labeled with the IT factor tag and you actually see it on and off the field. 

Just having that ability to demand that much respect from teammates, that he will be a good QB no matter what for the brows. Just from a leadership stand point. You add in his ability and his IQ. We know it’s early, but by golly guys, we have something special at QB. That the comparisons of Farve and Brees might be worth something. 

Also I was a Darnold fan during the pre draft stuff. I liked all QBs except Allen. I thought it was a little crazy hearing that people saying what is going to deprecate Baker from the others is his leadership. I knew he be a great leader but damn I never thought his leadership would be this big of an impact so quickly. 

Rarely would you ever see a rookie QB, rip teammates, coach them up, and then go out on the field together, and back up their dinner reservation. It’s like I knew Baker was going to get the team in field goal position the minute they got that ball back. Haven’t had that feeling of a QB being a difference maker since ‘07 (DA supporter checking in)

Yeah I'm with you guys. His leadership transcends the usual qualities of your run of the mill leader. That "IT" factor...I realized what the "IT" refers to because of Baker. There aren't true words to describe it, hence the name of said quality, but it is essentially leadership. It's elevating the play of those around him. A certain energy that can be reverberated throughout the locker room.

The kid's special, no doubt about it. I cannot wait for Sunday. Usually at this point in the week, I'd be trying to talk myself off the ledge of conviction that the Browns would actually come away victorious. Now? I'm jumpin in head first baby

1 hour ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Yeah I'm with you guys. His leadership transcends the usual qualities of your run of the mill leader. That "IT" factor...I realized what the "IT" refers to because of Baker. There aren't true words to describe it, hence the name of said quality, but it is essentially leadership. It's elevating the play of those around him. A certain energy that can be reverberated throughout the locker room.

The kid's special, no doubt about it. I cannot wait for Sunday. Usually at this point in the week, I'd be trying to talk myself off the ledge of conviction that the Browns would actually come away victorious. Now? I'm jumpin in head first baby

The only way teammates believe in you is if you are good though. The IT factor means nothing if you can't play.

21 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Yes, absolutely. I never said anything to suggest that. At least, it wasn't my intention.

You didn't, but a lot of our success has been because Baker is good at playing QB. It is sorta like a good defense playing behind a ground ball pitcher, they are always on their toes and look their best. Playing defense with a pitcher who struggles with the strike zone and throws a lot of fly balls you may catch the ss napping at times. Same with receivers, if they expect every ball coming their way to be catchable you are going to be more ready than if you had an inconsistent QB back there. I do believe there is something to the IT factor but I don't think it is a huge thing. Baker's performance is much more important.

9 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

You didn't, but a lot of our success has been because Baker is good at playing QB. It is sorta like a good defense playing behind a ground ball pitcher, they are always on their toes and look their best. Playing defense with a pitcher who struggles with the strike zone and throws a lot of fly balls you may catch the ss napping at times. Same with receivers, if they expect every ball coming their way to be catchable you are going to be more ready than if you had an inconsistent QB back there. I do believe there is something to the IT factor but I don't think it is a huge thing. Baker's performance is much more important.

They go hand in hand IMO. If you read that article Buno posted, you'll see how he pulled his vets aside and coached them up. That's just one example. When he came in for the Jets game, you could feel the energy shift. He doesn't just play well, it's beyond that. I get your point though. The problem is, we can't really measure how much of it comes strictly from skill and how much comes from his form of leadership. But it isclear how his attitude and his play, in combination, has lifted this team.

This debate is impossible because the "IT" we're discussing is immeasurable. But we've heard Jarvis say his personality is contagious, we've read Haley talk about how there's something different to him beyond his skillset. It cannot be described, nor can it be pinpointed, but he has "IT."

In a sense, it's quantum physics. He projects confidence and positivity. When Jarvis calls it contagious, that's not just an expression. He means it because they feed off of it. This is a completely real thing, he gives off this energy, and the rest of the team absorbs it. 

27 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

They go hand in hand IMO. If you read that article Buno posted, you'll see how he pulled his vets aside and coached them up. That's just one example. When he came in for the Jets game, you could feel the energy shift. He doesn't just play well, it's beyond that. I get your point though. The problem is, we can't really measure how much of it comes strictly from skill and how much comes from his form of leadership. But it isclear how his attitude and his play, in combination, has lifted this team.

This debate is impossible because the "IT" we're discussing is immeasurable. But we've heard Jarvis say his personality is contagious, we've read Haley talk about how there's something different to him beyond his skillset. It cannot be described, nor can it be pinpointed, but he has "IT."

In a sense, it's quantum physics. He projects confidence and positivity. When Jarvis calls it contagious, that's not just an expression. He means it because they feed off of it. This is a completely real thing, he gives off this energy, and the rest of the team absorbs it. 

Fortunately it looks like he has both, the ability and the IT so we are good no matter how much value each brings. It should be a fun time to be a Browns fan...finally.

Oh good, baseball analogies. I understand those.

I'll have to contribute in a more English way. 

I think it's like having a cricket team that operates without a decent spin option. It can be fine, of course, but when you come up against sides comfortable against the seam then you pay for not having someone who can add a googly.

2 minutes ago, Mega Ron said:

Oh good, baseball analogies. I understand those.

I'll have to contribute in a more English way. 

I think it's like having a cricket team that operates without a decent spin option. It can be fine, of course, but when you come up against sides comfortable against the seam then you pay for not having someone who can add a googly.

Unless your left arm orthodox spinner doesn’t spin the ball like Daniel Vettori, who was just a waste of one-two of the days of a test match with a strike rate of 90 near the end of his career. A bad spinner means it just takes longer to lose. 

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

Unless your left arm orthodox spinner doesn’t spin the ball like Daniel Vettori, who was just a waste of one-two of the days of a test match with a strike rate of 90 near the end of his career. A bad spinner means it just takes longer to lose. 

We were very good at taking the game into day five before going down

Archived