Foster and Brown May Start at MLB

MKnight82

Hopefully it stays this way and Foster can handle all the calls of the defense - which I think he can - Foster and Brown can be a solid combination. I forget who said it -  maybe it was Mike23MD - but they felt that if Foster was starting next to a better/more athletic ILB like Brown that Foster would play like a pro bowler.

15 hours ago, SeanTayorsaPIMP said:

We really need Brown's speed in there. I'm cool with either Foster or Compton playing next to Brown. I'd prefer Compton due to his playcalling ability but there's not a big gap between him and Foster. Happy Brown is catching up to speed.

Yeah, I don't agree with this at all. I think there's a massive difference between Foster and Compton. Compton has no business being on an NFL roster. 

if the decision is based on football (Compton is Kurts boy) its as close to a no brainer as there is- Brown and Mason are clearly better players. Compton is depth and special teams worthy though. Still like my idea of transitioning him to fullback. Gruden ran more fullback sets in game one than we did all last season combined, which is good because our line gets little to no push and you need a battering ram to blow open a hole. Whats not good is a former wide receiver who cant block(Paul) was playing fullback which is beyond dumb. 

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Yeah, I don't agree with this at all. I think there's a massive difference between Foster and Compton. Compton has no business being on an NFL roster. 

I think Compton a great coach on the field, he just is very limited physically. Mason is slow as well but he is strong as an ox. Both players have their faults. I do give Compton the edge in calling plays, however. 

Anyone can learn to call plays, and that to me is not a saving grace for Compton. If you're playing defense with 10 men that are physically able to do so, you're always going to be at a disadvantage. Compton is a liability in run support and is not strong enough in the passing game to wrap up and tackle even a bull noze running back. He will get run over by Elliott, Blount and any other RB's in the league. 

Doc: We don't use a FB so converting him to FB might be the best way to get him off the roster. 

19 hours ago, Marcus21 said:

I think Compton and Brown will start. Foster will come in on 3rd down. 

I think that's the opposite of what should happen in regards to Foster. Foster is a run stuffer, he's best as a two down linebacker and then on third and long we take him out for a better coverage LB. He's not very good in coverage. 

On 3rd and long we should move Sua Cravens up his spot to play the nickle ILB or bring in an extra safety to play deep and have Sua play a true SS role where he's just covering short routes, TEs & RBs out of the backfield.

7 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

if the decision is based on football (Compton is Kurts boy) its as close to a no brainer as there is- Brown and Mason are clearly better players. Compton is depth and special teams worthy though. Still like my idea of transitioning him to fullback. Gruden ran more fullback sets in game one than we did all last season combined, which is good because our line gets little to no push and you need a battering ram to blow open a hole. Whats not good is a former wide receiver who cant block(Paul) was playing fullback which is beyond dumb. 

As long as Callahan is our running game coordinator we won't use a fullback.

3 hours ago, mike23md said:

Anyone can learn to call plays, and that to me is not a saving grace for Compton. If you're playing defense with 10 men that are physically able to do so, you're always going to be at a disadvantage. Compton is a liability in run support and is not strong enough in the passing game to wrap up and tackle even a bull noze running back. He will get run over by Elliott, Blount and any other RB's in the league. 

Doc: We don't use a FB so converting him to FB might be the best way to get him off the roster. 

I don't know how we can definitely say that "anyone can learn to call plays" and set up the defense correctly and communicate to the FS what coverage the defensive coordinator wants them to run.

Over the years, it's always the most intelligent starting linebacker who calls the plays and there's nothing that's going to change that. Guys like Brown & Riley are great to be the other LB next to an extremely smart guy - because of their talent, athleticism and ability to make plays - but they are never the guys calling the plays. They are the guys the MLB tells what to do.

8 hours ago, lavar703 said:

There is definitely a massive difference between Compton & Fostee in terms of run defense ability, strength and probably even athleticism. Foster is a quality starting ILB in the NFL. 

Compton is a smart guy but physically he's not what you really want as a starting ILB in the NFL. Compton is great at one thing, and that's just the cerebral part of the game and getting the defenders set up correctly and relaying calls.

I don't agree that a guy like Compton has no business being on an NFL roster. Saying something like that is a pretty big insult to not only the defensive coaches we've had in the past and currently have but also our talent evaluators of the past like Scot McCloughan and Mike Shanahan who signed Compton, developed him and then agreed that he should be promoted and played over the softy Keenan Robinson at ILB and that he should come back the next year after that as a starter as well. Let's not forget that Scot McCloughan didn't upgrade Compton in the 2016 draft or in that offseason and he's a great talent evaluator.

I think Compton is fine as a reserve, who can play special teams and then if we would have an injury he can come in and make all the calls and we wouldn't miss a beat there.

Archived