Foster and Brown May Start at MLB

MKnight82

23 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I'm totally cool with insulting the defensive coaches we've had since Compton has been here. They were awful. 

It was McClougan's decision to not upgrade Compton after the 2015 season. Then, this offseason we signed Brown to upgrade him. So, we should be praising the decision to add Brown by the current front office.

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

So we're back to everything being Scots fault? Lol

Last season yeah, who else's would it be?

If Scot wanted to upgrade Compton at ILB last offseason he would have done what the front office did this offseason and signed a player like Zack Brown or he would have drafted an ILB in the top 3 rounds of the 2016 draft instead of a wr, hybrid S/dime LB and a corner.

It's the GM's job to upgrade the roster in the offseason. Scot didn't upgrade the talent of the defense last offseason other than signing Norman late after the Panthers stupidly rescinded his franchise tag and drafting Cravens - who Barry then miscast as only an ILB - instead of playing him at S from rookie mini-camp on and have him learn some ILB for 3rd & long. 

Give it a rest. Scot is gone. The facts is tHe guy assembled the best and deepest roster we have had since the start of having a salary cap. You can't fix everything in the limited time he was here. I for one believe had he stayed and been fully empowered our QB would be locked up for 5 years, we'd have a new left guard and probably a new nose tackle- arguably our weakest position with safety a close second. Now that poor ole Doug is Allen's new puppet boy he will get the criticism when progress Scot made starts reversing and declining and Bruce will sip his Manhatten thinking of fun times he had in Barcode-" not that there's anything wrong with that " Seinfeld

6 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

Give it a rest. Scot is gone. The facts is tHe guy assembled the best and deepest roster we have had since the start of having a salary cap. You can't fix everything in the limited time he was here. I for one believe had he stayed and been fully empowered our QB would be locked up for 5 years, we'd have a new left guard and probably a new nose tackle- arguably our weakest position with safety a close second. Now that poor ole Doug is Allen's new puppet boy he will get the criticism when progress Scot made starts reversing and declining and Bruce will sip his Manhatten thinking of fun times he had in Barcode-" not that there's anything wrong with that " Seinfeld

That's not true, the 2015 & 2016 rosters on defense were horrible on defense when Scot was here. When he was hired I was so excited because I thought he was going to fix our defense and it'd be near as good as it was last decade and we'd start winning some close games, but he didn't upgrade the defense. And yes, he could have done more in the draft and free agency to upgrade the defense.

Scot wasn't here this offseason so I don't see how he gets full credit for the current roster. Yes, he helped developed the plan with the others in the front office but he didn't sign the free agents we signed and he didn't determine which players we drafted. I'm sure he helped develop the big board, but he still didn't make the selections.

Scot helped build the roster in each of the last 3 seasons no doubt but he doesn't get total credit for what was done this offseason, he's been gone from the team since early February.

It's anyoying how no one can mention Scot made mistakes without getting killed.

I'm just speaking the truth. If some other posters are going to get their facts wrong about why certain players were not upgraded, cut or not re-signed in 2016, not drafted in 2015 & 16, not signed in 2015 or 16, I'm going to point at who the GM was at the time.

I don't see how that's wrong. If it was Vinny or Bruce you all would be killing them for saying some of things Scot has said on twitter - particularly about Matt Jones and passing on L.Williams for Scherff - and not upgrading the defense enough in 2015 & 16 to make it at least around average so we could have won a few more games and maybe a playoff game.

The only reason people don't want me to mention it is because they don't want to admit Scot made some mistakes.

That's simply untrue turtle. I've hammered Matt Jones, said he was an awful pick. I complained about our approach to free agency under Scot as well but the truth remains he was building something here.

We sucked with Bruce and Shanny building team. The only thing that changed during our semi-successful run here was Scot. I have no idea why he was fired but I tend to lean more towards the reasons he was fired two other places rather than what Mike Jones reported however that doesn't change the fact that he was a good GM. 

31 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

That's simply untrue turtle. I've hammered Matt Jones, said he was an awful pick. I complained about our approach to free agency under Scot as well but the truth remains he was building something here.

We sucked with Bruce and Shanny building team. The only thing that changed during our semi-successful run here was Scot. I have no idea why he was fired but I tend to lean more towards the reasons he was fired two other places rather than what Mike Jones reported however that doesn't change the fact that he was a good GM. 

Well I appreciate a response like that. I think Scot was a great GM and would have built us into a great team in the future and I do agree with Doc that if McCloughan had his way Cousins would be here under a LTD. I never will agree with Bruce & Dan letting Scot go.

All I'm saying is that he was GM and incontrol when Compton wasn't upgraded. The Redskins could have signed Zack Brown last offseason when he was a free agent to upgrade Compton but they didn't and not making signings like that led to us not making the playoffs last year because our defense was worse than it was in 2015. 

Last year Brown's contract on the Bills was 1/2 of what we are paying, 1 year $1.25 million and for that price we could have had a pro bowl ILB last year.

There's no doubt that Scot liked, maybe even loved Compton as a player because he likes tough guys who are leaders, care about football and are intelligent. So back to my original point, if Scot wanted to upgrade Compton he would have upgraded him with a player like Brown last season or would have drafted an ILB in one of the earlier rounds.

On 8/18/2017 at 10:52 PM, turtle28 said:
On 8/18/2017 at 10:44 PM, lavar703 said:

So we're back to everything being Scots fault? Lol

Last season yeah, who else's would it be?

Umm ... that fault would belong to the current front office that passed up Cunningham for Anderson.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Umm ... that fault would belong to the current front office that passed up Cunningham for Anderson.

Obviously I said last season. This season we have Brown and it's yet to be determined if Cunningham is any good or if Anderson was the correct choice. I'll also add that Anderson was Scot's favorite draft choice of ours this year so if he was GM he probably would have done what we did in at least the first 3 rounds.

10 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Give it a rest Turtle.  Scott was handed a dumpster fire.  He had to fix the entire roster, he started with the offense first.  The defense was coming next, but he got fired because Bruce Allen threw a tantrum.  

Kind of a dumpster fire... Yes, the skins had two losing seasons in a row, but Shanahan had drafted an all-pro LT & TE and a pro bowl QB and LOLB. He also signed Garçon. Then Allen & Gruden drafted two starting OL, a starting CB and a versatile DE/OLB in Murphy. They also re-signed Baker, signed Djax & Hatcher.

So, a lot of the pieces where there already when McCloughan became GM for the team that went 17-14-1 the last two seasons, it just took Gruden & his coaching staff some time to get those pieces developed and where they needed them.

McCoughan did a lot of good things no doubt but I don't think any of us agreed with the moves to "upgrade" made for the defense last offseason except signing Norman and the drafting Cravens and Fuller. His biggest downfall was be not improving our DL - in fact the DL got worse each year he was the GM - and not upgrading the ILB & FS positions.

15 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Kind of a dumpster fire... Yes, the skins had two losing seasons in a row, but Shanahan had drafted an all-pro LT & TE and a pro bowl QB and LOLB.

Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan were together for four years (2010-2013) and Allen was in total control in 2014. In that five year span, the Redskins had 42 picks.

Of those, only Trent Williams, Ryan Kerrigan, Niles Paul, Kirk Cousins, Jordan Reed, Chris Thompson, and Morgan Moses got a second contract with the team. That's 1/6th, and two of those players are role players. Now, it's possible that the team will keep some combination of Trent Murphy, Spencer Long, Bashaud Breeland, and Ryan Grant, but I would only put a very small bet on Breeland.

It was a dumpster fire of talent.

You yourself have said that this is the most talented roster we've had since 1991-92. Who helped build that?

8 hours ago, Woz said:

Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan were together for four years (2010-2013) and Allen was in total control in 2014. In that five year span, the Redskins had 42 picks.

Of those, only Trent Williams, Ryan Kerrigan, Niles Paul, Kirk Cousins, Jordan Reed, Chris Thompson, and Morgan Moses got a second contract with the team. That's 1/6th, and two of those players are role players. Now, it's possible that the team will keep some combination of Trent Murphy, Spencer Long, Bashaud Breeland, and Ryan Grant, but I would only put a very small bet on Breeland.

It was a dumpster fire of talent.

You yourself have said that this is the most talented roster we've had since 1991-92. Who helped build that?

I said McCloughan helped build it, but most fans act like he's the only one which is not the truth. The truth is it was a combination of Shanahan, Allen, McCloughan, Gruden, Scott Campbell and Doug Williams.

The reason the Redskins have the most talented roster since 91-92 mostly has to do with Shanahan, Allen/Gruden, Campbell and Doug Williams acquisitions this offseason. 

Mccloughan never seemed to get to the defense yet in his rebuild, which IMO will always be his downfall in DC because that was the biggest issue he inherited - besides Griffin - but Gruden had already basically handled that, he just needed some back up.

In one offseason, Allen/Gruden/Williams totally revamped the DL, drafted a top 5 talent to the DL, signed a pro bowl ILB, signed the most talented safety we've had since Landry,  drafted a run stuffing tenacious OLB, drafted a 1st round talent corner in round 3 and drafted a raw but incredibly athletic safety in round 4 that has a lot of upside.

Those 3 did what I had hoped and swore McCloughan was going to do in 2015 & 16.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I said McCloughan helped build it, but most fans act like he's the only one which is not the truth. The truth is it was a combination of Shanahan, Allen, McCloughan, Gruden, Scott Campbell and Doug Williams.

The reason the Redskins have the most talented roster since 91-92 mostly has to do with Shanahan, Allen/Gruden, Campbell and Doug Williams acquisitions this offseason. 

Mccloughan never seemed to get to the defense yet in his rebuild, which IMO will always be his downfall in DC because that was the biggest issue he inherited - besides Griffin - but Gruden had already basically handled that, he just needed some back up.

In one offseason, Allen/Gruden/Williams totally revamped the DL, drafted a top 5 talent to the DL, signed a pro bowl ILB, signed the most talented safety we've had since Landry,  drafted a run stuffing tenacious OLB, drafted a 1st round talent corner in round 3 and drafted a raw but incredibly athletic safety in round 4 that has a lot of upside.

Those 3 did what I had hoped and swore McCloughan was going to do in 2015 & 16.

That is a warped misrepresentation of what actually happened though.  These are the facts:

- You're omitting that Bruce Allen was a major player in the RG3 trade, which basically destroyed the Redskins roster for a few years, and forced Allen out of his position of head of football decisions.

- Mike Shanahan built us a stud offense, but his offense was based on his zone blocking scheme which basically no one else runs.  So when he was fired, we essentially had to replace the majority of the offense.  

- Mike Shanahan's unnecessary switch to the 3-4 is the reason we still don't have a good defense.  Bruce Allen supported the switch.  

- You continue to point at the Murphy, Moses, Long, Breeland draft and say it was a resounding success for Bruce Allen.  Except Bruce Allen hired Scott McCloughan to scout that draft for us and based the picks off of those.  He admitted this was the reason he hired McCloughan in the first place.  

- So when McCloughan was hired he essentially had to rebuild the defense AND offense since we had moved away from zone blocking. 

- The 2014 draft with Murphy, Moses, Long & Breeland was essentially the first year of McCloughan's rebuild even though he wasn't here in official capacity.

- McCloughan was handed a rebuild needing 5-years.  He concentrated on upgrading the offense primarily at first.  He was fired before he could complete his rebuild. 

- The draft this year that focused heavily on defense was based on McCloughan's scouting reports again.  The team has said as much.  

- Bruce Allen wants to ride the success of McCloughan's picks and take all the credit for himself.  

- Bruce Allen needs to be fired.  

Archived