Game Day Thread: Rams @ Broncos

champ11

Sunday 10/14, 2:05 MST, Whatever the Stadium is Named, Denver CO

My questions for this week:

1. Is Vance fired this week? My money is on after the Arizona game like what @BroncoBruin said

2. Is Von going to get a sack this week? 

3. Is Roby's season going to tail spin or will he bounce back? 

4. How quick does the crowd boo Case Keenum? 

5. Are they serious about benching McGovern for Garcia? That seems so random and dumb to me

6. Can we get Royce Freeman the ball in situations that he can succeed? 

Any hope this week boys? 

I expect them to keep it close for a few quarters but the Rams pull away late. Wouldn't be shocked if Denver covers but thinking about the matchup between Sean McVay vs. Joe Woods is just laughable. Chess vs. checkers.

I think this will be the "last gasp" 100% effort game before guys start quitting, benchings, firings etc. 

42 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I expect them to keep it close for a few quarters but the Rams pull away late. Wouldn't be shocked if Denver covers but thinking about the matchup between Sean McVay vs. Joe Woods is just laughable. Chess vs. checkers.

I think this will be the "last gasp" 100% effort game before guys start quitting, benchings, firings etc. 

This game is the eye to the storm gonna get real bad micheal Jackson. 

Three things in our favor:

1.  It's going to be cold (32 at starting kickoff, and 20's for most of the game).   That could really limit the Rams O.  Goff has very few weaknesses, but small-average hand size QB's in cold weather, well there's opportunity there.

2.  It's also possible it snows, that would again help DEN try to shorten the game.

3.  The Rams D is quite vulnerable to power run, we saw what SEA did to them.

Several things working against us:

1.  That same cold, bad weather won't help Keenum play any better.   There's zero excuse, he's just been plain awful.

2.  The snow risk also means missed tackles hurt more - and against Gurley & the Rams WR's, that means chunk plays. 

3.  For some reason, the coaches want to make G McGovern the scapegoat for last week...when Leonard Williams is an absolute beast, and the Jets D killed us with JAG's in other areas on our OL.  But yes, let's bench the cheap, young player who's actually played decently (against bad competition, but still, played far better than anyone on OL except Paradis - SMH x 100000).    So yeah, we get Max Garcia vs. Suh/Donald...carnage.

4.   It looks like the Rams are getting their trio of game-breaking WR's back, as Brandin Cooks and Cooper Kupp are practicing.  To say that's a mismatch vs. our secondary is a massive understatement. 

5.  Their OL is just a bad matchup vs. our suddenly leaky run D.   Gurley is a beast.  

6.  Our coaches are benching the wrong guys, the D is holding a players-only meeting, and frankly, it looks like VJ is a dead man walking.

Unless the weather intervenes, I could easily see a 38-24 type L, with the last 10-14 points as garbage time.   LAR is just such a good team, and their only weakness on D (no EDGE rush), well we saw what a team that had no EDGE's did to our OL last week.    So it's hard to be optimistic.   The only blessing is a big L hurts that day, but long-term is what we need so Elway can get on with the much-needed rebuild we need to get underway.

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

McGovern has been the teams best OL.  Even with some mishaps in pass pro, he’s mauled in the running game.  The fact that Garcia could possibly even get a chance is why this staff needs to go.

Garcia at RG is a disaster.

Yeh, this just isn't a good matchup for us. McVay is the best in the league at isolating a lack of talent in man coverage (see Anthony Barr in the Vikings game) and we've got plenty of that out there. Sure, our pass rush has the talent to cause issues, but the Rams aren't a traditional 5 step drop Offense that gives opportunities for pass rushers; they use so much misdirection and more importantly, presnap motion to a) read Defenses and b) create distractions for Defenders.

What I would say is that I thin the thin air in Denver could cause issues for the Rams Offense later in the game because they really do ask a lot from their WR's before the play has even started. Question is, will we even still be in the game at that point? Likely not.

Like most QB's, Case tends to struggle when his interior line get pushed back into him, but I feel  Case does so more than most because he struggles to see over them when the Linemen are close to him. This can lead to him not getting through his progressions as efficiently as this Musgrave Offense requires.

I foresee a comfortable defeat unfortunately.

Archived