Game Day Thread: Rams @ Broncos

champ11

3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I've been in "please lose" mood since after the KC game, and I stopped feeling guilty about it in the second half last week. This season is just a waste of time. 

I'm here as well. The team is awful, no young QB to develop, and we have a lame duck situation at HC. This is a lost year.

4 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I've been in "please lose" mood since after the KC game, and I stopped feeling guilty about it in the second half last week. This season is just a waste of time. 

56 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

We also had nearly 10,000 no shows today, something the local media made note of as being a bad sign for Vance.

It's been pretty lonely having been this way since the spectre of getting a top 3 pick to secure Darnold/Rosen was in our sights from the IND game last year.   Can't say it's a good feeling, but in the end it's clearly better for us in the long run to be picking as early as possible, and to be not committing resources into win-now players.    At least we're a better young-talent rostered team than last year when I was in future-mode-must-happen now mode.   

ThuNF will be crucial - ARI is a bad team, and much like SEA/OAK, they're clearly less talented overall, and their OL just stinks (which is why their O doesn't produce). And as we all know, Mike McCoy is an incompetent OC - and for some reason, ARI decided to go with this retread selection, which compounds a lot of their problems (like not using David Johnson enough in key situations).   But they have a decent D, and they have a top 4-5 RB in DJ and some talent at their skill positions, and of course, they have a bright young QBOTF (who will be still learning on the job year 1, so presents a vulnerable target to attack, but in the long run offers so much more hope then we currently have) in Josh Rosen, so they pose a very even matchup, given they are at home.   This will be a huge game to decide our fate as far as when Elway fully embraces 2019+ mode.   A L there and @KC would go a long way in putting 2019 in the forefront our weekly planning entering our bye week, rather than waiting until late November / early December..   Here's hoping.

I wonder if elway has a fire sale by the trade deadline I'm sure a team like philly could use Darian Stewart at safety considering they lost a safety for a season. 

I'm also sure theres a team out there that can use a pass rusher and we have a ton at that position. I feel like 2 and 4 is a sell sell record.

Obviously our run Defense is a mess. This week was a lot more concerning than last week, where we gave up absolutely massive chunk plays on missed tackles and poor contain. This week, it seemed every single run went for at least 7 yards. Our interior DL just kept going East and West on those zone runs from 11 personnel; any Bronco fan should know (having ran them nonestop the entire Shanahan era) that you don't go East and West vs a zone run - you have to get vertical to force the RB into his cut, rather than letting him choose it. That's where having a game wrecking DT (3-4 DE in our base) is vital.

People will, and have, pointed the finger at Davis and Marshall but when the LOS gets reset 2 yards beyond the actual LOS within a second of the ball being snapped, it's rather difficult to play LB in the NFL. You have to give the Rams OL and of course Gurley praise; they are excellent on those stretch zones.

Case was terrible. I am sorry, but that 2nd half is irrelevant in my eyes. Whey do we have to be down 17 points for him to start throwing deep, sideline passes that our guys actually have a chance of making a play on the ball? Sometimes I think NFL teams overcomplicate the game. If a team is playing a lot of Cover 1, just run go routes across the board and launch it deep to the side of the field that the deep Safety can't get to. As soon as we did that, we started getting chunk plays either via a catch or a penalty.

But that said, it was that 3rd down pass to Heuerman that genuinely made me angry. You have a guy who is 6ft 5 being covered by a 5ft 9 corner in a ton of space and Case throws it 5 feet over his head. GIVE. THE. GUY. A. CHANCE. The mentality of, "well it's now a one score game" just about sums up the mentality of this Coaching staff. Did anyone really doubt that the Rams were going to march up the field the next drive for a FG to make it a 2 score game again? Score the TD, hold them to a FG and you've (somehow) got a drive to potentially go and win the game. But no, we take the safe option of basically just throwing it away and taking the FG. Pathetic.

Forgetting the yardage totals, our Defense did fantastic to hold this team to 23 points. If you'd have told me that before the game I wouldn't have believed you. It's just a shame our QB gives us no chance to win against any team other than teams that s n a t c h defeat from the jaws of victory like the Raiders. 

Man this doesn’t even incorporate sacks allowed and hurries.   And frankly the last 2 games the DE/EDGE’s weren’t even close to elite players.   

I get he has the physical tools but the risk he just has ingrained the bad habits that lead to such poor pass protection is really high, especially given 2 offseasons, his work ethic (it’s not like he’s not trying to learn, and it’s not a Q on effort) and his age.   A move to RT and getting LT next draft with its depth would seem wisest, he’s a run block foundation piece but pass pro has seen zero growth. 

10 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

We also had nearly 10,000 no shows today, something the local media made note of as being a bad sign for Vance.

I'll be honest guys. I went to watch my soccer team play (currently getting over a sprained ankle) over watching this game.

Are we mad at Sanders? What happened 

33 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Man this doesn’t even incorporate sacks allowed and hurries.   And frankly the last 2 games the DE/EDGE’s weren’t even close to elite players.   

I get he has the physical tools but the risk he just has ingrained the bad habits that lead to such poor pass protection is really high, especially given 2 offseasons, his work ethic (it’s not like he’s not trying to learn, and it’s not a Q on effort) and his age.   A move to RT and getting LT next draft with its depth would seem wisest, he’s a run block foundation piece but pass pro has seen zero growth. 

Yeah.  Schlereth pointed out at one point that his technique is just awful.  It’s hard to fathom how he loses the outside so badly when he is such a gifted athlete for an OT.

16 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I'll be honest guys. I went to watch my soccer team play (currently getting over a sprained ankle) over watching this game.

Are we mad at Sanders? What happened 

He taunted the DB after scoring on a 45 yard catch.   Replay showed it was down at 1 yd line so the penalty became 1st and 10 at 16. Instead of 1st and goal at 1.   We got 3 instead of 7 there. 

Before we say that cost us the game - it could have but keep in mind LAR played for the FG knowing they were up 7.   So up 3 very different last drive sequence (and no telling how game flow changed so early).  But yeah unfortunate to say the least.  

1st Quarter Notes

-          Suh and Donald already causing havoc on the first 2 plays we run. 2 runs, 3 yards. Paradis got tossed aside like a ragdoll by Suh on the 2nd play

-          On 3rd and 7, Case fails to see a wide open Sutton because he can’t see over the onrushing DE (who beat a chip from Heuerman and a ‘block’ from Bolles). Aaron Donald also pushes Garcia right back into Case

1.jpg

2.jpg

-          Goff had a widddddde open Kupp right down the middle of the field on their 1st play. Brandon Marshall just ran straight into CHJ, leaving Kupp with nobody within 10 yards of him. Downside of a predetermined read Offense like McVay’s; you don’t come off your #1 and #2 read very often

-          Perfect Cover 1 beat dialled up by McVay on 1st down, knowing we’d be in Cover 1. They have Woods run a deep hook across the keep Simmons in the middle of the field, with Cooks running a post route behind it. That’s a really tough cover for Simmons, but he’s got to stay behind the deep route and come off Woods entirely

-          On 3rd and 6 on our 8 yard line, we bracketed Everett (TE) with Parks underneath and Simmons on top, whilst also bracketing Kupp with Marshall underneath and Stewart over the top. Left Roby 1v1 vs Cooks at RCB, CHJ 1v1 vs Woods in the slot and Brock 1v1 vs Gurley at LCB. Pass was incomplete forcing to Everett. Decent inside push by Wolfe and Gotsis

-          We open our 2nd series with 12 personnel and the two WR are Sutton and Hamilton, both aligned to the same side. We motion Lindsay out of the backfield to their side and throw a screen to Lindsay. Pretty poor play recognition from the Rams to not sniff that out

-          Donald simply abusing Garcia already

-          Brockers beats Turner to the inside the stuff the run

-          We’re doubling Suh on every pass play and leaving Donald 1v1 against Garcia. It hasn’t worked yet. Am I missing something here?

-          Lovely punt by Wadman – 52 yards with no chance of return

-          Rams WR motion causing havoc for our Nickel run Defense. Woods motions from the left of the formation. CHJ, for some reason I don’t know, gestures to Tood Davis to follow Woods. This basically means we’ve replaced Davis with CHJ in the meat of our Defense. Gurley goes for 25 yards up the gut

-          Simple curl route from Woods goes for 35 yards. Roby struggles working through the traffic, with 3 WRs being stacked to the left of the formation. He then takes a horrendous angle to make a 10 yard gain a 35 yard one

-          Zach Kerr with great recognition of the zone run and gets vertical, but his arm tackle misses Gurley and a 4 yard loss turns into a 5 yard gain

-          That’s a hell of a throw by Case to Sanders for the near TD, but it’s a predetermined deep shot. Technically, there is a Safety help but the Safety shows no respect to either Sanders’ ability to run deep or Case’s ability to throw deep (or both)

-          Our OL is getting mullered in the run game. Look at where Donald pushes Turner to on this play; he pushes him 5 yards sideways and it isn’t a zone run …

3.jpg

4.jpg

-          3rd down and Case can’t see a wide open Heuerman for a 1st down. Sorry, but you’re staring straight at him Case. Throw the ball. Pass pro is good as you can expect in this area of the field

5.jpg

Archived