Game Day Thread: Rams @ Broncos

champ11

2 hours ago, champ11 said:

We're gonna need a thread boys. @iLikeDefense jump on it fam 

Definitely - I enjoy doing a writeup, but I'm out.  And let's face it, we know the issues at this stage, it's like a MP4 playing on repeat.

@jolly red giant, @thebestever6, @champ11 & I are out - we might need 10 more before it's all done with, anyone step up!  @iLikeDefense, @lomaxgrUK (You've done enough work already, just post the OP lol), @AnAngryAmerican, @jsthomp2007, @Counselor, @germ-x, @BroncoSojia, @Royal_VT, whoever - it's all good (we know @AKRNA's tied up until Nov to start one).   

Doesn't need to be a big writeup for here.

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Definitely - I enjoy doing a writeup, but I'm out.  And let's face it, we know the issues at this stage, it's like a MP4 playing on repeat.

@jolly red giant, @thebestever6, @champ11 & I are out - we might need 10 more before it's all done with, anyone step up!  @iLikeDefense, @lomaxgrUK (You've done enough work already, just post the OP lol), @AnAngryAmerican, @jsthomp2007, @Counselor, @germ-x, @BroncoSojia, @Royal_VT, whoever - it's all good (we know @AKRNA's tied up until Nov to start one).   

Doesn't need to be a big writeup for here.

The "We're Gonna Kick Their ***" Game (that secretly everyone wants us to lose so VJ can be fired ).

Joseph was asked about the run defence yesterday - talked about using the nickel against the 11 personnel (about 4 mins in)

Phillips knew that the there were issues with nickel and Woods made adjustment last season - Joseph seems to have stuck his nose into to what the defense is doing since the start of the season and seems determined to keep going.

5 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Totally forgot we're playing tomorrow. Highly doubt I am going to be able to get any more than the 2nd quarter analysis done before the Arizona game. I suppose I will have 10 days to do them both afterwards ....

Doubt it mate, you’ll be analysing head coaching candidates if we lose tomorrow.

2nd Quarter Notes

-          Massive gain for Gurley on the 1st play of the Quarter. Threat of Woods in motion at the snap of the ball causes hesitation from Ray at DE in our Nickel and Davis at LB. Creates a huge gap for Gurley to cut back into. We then proceed to miss 3 tackles

-          Rams run the same play but to the other side the next play. It’s another well blocked play, Stewart comes in to make the play but still a 4 yard gain

-          Missed tackle by Barrett turns a no gain play into 10 yards

-          People just don’t seem to go backwards when Marshall hits them anymore. Am I the only one who thinks this?

-          A flat out terrible defensive fill read by Davis on the Gurley TD on 4th and 1. He reads the hole as being the pile of people on the floor, rather than the B gap to the left. Davis would’ve had a chance to make this play had he read the gap right

1.jpg 

-          Didn’t agree with the DPI call on Peters at the time (the fluttering ball one), and I don’t now. It’s a 3 route play and none of them are remotely open. Lucky to not be sacked or then intercepted. I swear sometimes I missing something with blocking assignments. Rams are in their base 3-4 with Brockers at LE, Westbrooks at NT, and Donald at RE. We decide to double Westbrooks with Garcia (RG) and Paradis leaving Donald 1v1 with Leary, who he subsequently wrecks. WHY is someone not sliding the protection to double Donald? Christ.

2.jpg

-          Nice peel to the 2nd level by Turner for a big gainer on the ground

-          I actually think the hold against Bolles is a tad unfortunate, to be honest. He’s in decent control and when Brockers goes to turn, he needs to release from the chest and he doesn’t. Aaron Donald had beaten Garcia within a second anyway, as we decided to double Suh rather than Donald. Absolute madness

-          Case doesn’t spot a wide open Brian Parker (I know) on the next play. Tries Lindsay on a slant from the slot but the Ramsa re all over it

-          Hold on Garcia. And why? Because we left him 1v1 with Donald again

-          Rams run the same play they ran twice in a row earlier, but this time they hand it off to the motion WR. The base of this Offense is so simple, but the different plays they run from the same looks make it so difficult to defend

-          Shelby Harris with maybe the first interior pressure of the game for us

-          Rams then run the same play AGAIN, but this time they run play action out of it. That’s the same alignment and same blocking scheme with 4 different plays. Amazing. We actually get a sack, though. Simmons doesn’t a great job as the deep Safety in splitting the two routes that are ran and it’s Bradley Chubb who destroys a double team that forces the eventual sack by Miller and Stewart

-          Bolles fails to get his man on the floor for an attempted to slot screen to Sanders. Case does well to save the play

-          Case running for his life here in the 2 minute drill. Donald 1v1 vs Leary. ZzZ

-          Nice block by Hamilton to spring Lindsay on the WR screen (Lindsay motioned out)

-          The level of incompetence is actually hysterical now. This time we actually do go to double Donald, but the play action is inexplicably coming from the side Donald is on, thus when Paradis goes to double Donald, he runs into Booker and can’t get to Donald ………….. Leary is playing with outside leverage because he thinks he has help to the inside, hence Donald getting in on Case to the inside. It’s a simple read for Case – if Donald is on the same side as the RB for that play, MOTION HIM TO THE OTHER SIDE

3.jpg

-          Sods law that when we do get it right upfront (by doubling Donald), there’s nobody open downfield. And the same thing happens the next play. Can’t blame Case or the OL for how that drive stuttered. Poor play design and good Defense by the Rams on the back end

-          THIS is Musgrave’s play call on 4th and 3. One player looking back for the ball. One. On 4th and 3. Why are 3 guys running routes of over 15 yards when it’s 4th and 3 and you’re playing Wade Phillips? You KNOW he’s going to blitz. Atrocious call

4.jpg

-          It’s Shane Ray who gifts Chubb his 2nd sack in 2 plays, but it’s the play that Ray hurt himself and it’s a dirty play by Saffold. He’s beaten like a drum and he pulls Ray down in a really awkward way

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

2nd Quarter Notes

-          Massive gain for Gurley on the 1st play of the Quarter. Threat of Woods in motion at the snap of the ball causes hesitation from Ray at DE in our Nickel and Davis at LB. Creates a huge gap for Gurley to cut back into. We then proceed to miss 3 tackles

-          Rams run the same play but to the other side the next play. It’s another well blocked play, Stewart comes in to make the play but still a 4 yard gain

-          Missed tackle by Barrett turns a no gain play into 10 yards

-          People just don’t seem to go backwards when Marshall hits them anymore. Am I the only one who thinks this?

-          A flat out terrible defensive fill read by Davis on the Gurley TD on 4th and 1. He reads the hole as being the pile of people on the floor, rather than the B gap to the left. Davis would’ve had a chance to make this play had he read the gap right

1.jpg 

-          Didn’t agree with the DPI call on Peters at the time (the fluttering ball one), and I don’t now. It’s a 3 route play and none of them are remotely open. Lucky to not be sacked or then intercepted. I swear sometimes I missing something with blocking assignments. Rams are in their base 3-4 with Brockers at LE, Westbrooks at NT, and Donald at RE. We decide to double Westbrooks with Garcia (RG) and Paradis leaving Donald 1v1 with Leary, who he subsequently wrecks. WHY is someone not sliding the protection to double Donald? Christ.

2.jpg

-          Nice peel to the 2nd level by Turner for a big gainer on the ground

-          I actually think the hold against Bolles is a tad unfortunate, to be honest. He’s in decent control and when Brockers goes to turn, he needs to release from the chest and he doesn’t. Aaron Donald had beaten Garcia within a second anyway, as we decided to double Suh rather than Donald. Absolute madness

-          Case doesn’t spot a wide open Brian Parker (I know) on the next play. Tries Lindsay on a slant from the slot but the Ramsa re all over it

-          Hold on Garcia. And why? Because we left him 1v1 with Donald again

-          Rams run the same play they ran twice in a row earlier, but this time they hand it off to the motion WR. The base of this Offense is so simple, but the different plays they run from the same looks make it so difficult to defend

-          Shelby Harris with maybe the first interior pressure of the game for us

-          Rams then run the same play AGAIN, but this time they run play action out of it. That’s the same alignment and same blocking scheme with 4 different plays. Amazing. We actually get a sack, though. Simmons doesn’t a great job as the deep Safety in splitting the two routes that are ran and it’s Bradley Chubb who destroys a double team that forces the eventual sack by Miller and Stewart

-          Bolles fails to get his man on the floor for an attempted to slot screen to Sanders. Case does well to save the play

-          Case running for his life here in the 2 minute drill. Donald 1v1 vs Leary. ZzZ

-          Nice block by Hamilton to spring Lindsay on the WR screen (Lindsay motioned out)

-          The level of incompetence is actually hysterical now. This time we actually do go to double Donald, but the play action is inexplicably coming from the side Donald is on, thus when Paradis goes to double Donald, he runs into Booker and can’t get to Donald ………….. Leary is playing with outside leverage because he thinks he has help to the inside, hence Donald getting in on Case to the inside. It’s a simple read for Case – if Donald is on the same side as the RB for that play, MOTION HIM TO THE OTHER SIDE

3.jpg

-          Sods law that when we do get it right upfront (by doubling Donald), there’s nobody open downfield. And the same thing happens the next play. Can’t blame Case or the OL for how that drive stuttered. Poor play design and good Defense by the Rams on the back end

-          THIS is Musgrave’s play call on 4th and 3. One player looking back for the ball. One. On 4th and 3. Why are 3 guys running routes of over 15 yards when it’s 4th and 3 and you’re playing Wade Phillips? You KNOW he’s going to blitz. Atrocious call

4.jpg

-          It’s Shane Ray who gifts Chubb his 2nd sack in 2 plays, but it’s the play that Ray hurt himself and it’s a dirty play by Saffold. He’s beaten like a drum and he pulls Ray down in a really awkward way

The big thing to me on the 4th down call aside from the bonheadedness of running 3 15+ yard downfield routes is the spacing of the receivers. They're literally all 10 yards apart, leaving no secondary option for Keenum. They're obviously running a clear out to hit the crosser over the middle of the field, who was properly re-routed by the linebackers leaving nowhere for Case to go with the ball. Just asinine. 

Archived