Will Eli be benched again this season?

Elky

18 minutes ago, jaa1025 said:

If you don't see a QB then go something else. This draft had some very good talent elsewhere. If I don't have a QB that I like then I either trade down for a ransom or draft Chubb or Ward, which I liked a lot. Considering the Giants line problems, Id try to trade back maybe go Nelson at G. The one pick, regardless of need or rankings that I don't take is RB at #2.

I was in agreement with you as well. Mayfield was the only QB that I thought was worthy of a top 5 pick and he had question marks. I liked Rosen if he wasn't a potential headcase and made of glass. I didn't like Darnold at all. Allen was intriguing because of his arm strength but I figured his accuracy would be his downfall. 

Again, dont really disagree, but like I said, I think they thought that Barkley would not only be a great all around player himself, but also help take the pressure off of Eli and make him better.   By that logic, I understand why they did it.

In general though, we seem to be on the same page in regards to RBs.     Im just saying that I dont think it was a horrible decision BASED ON the logic I believe they had....but their liklely assessment of how it would affect Eli seems to have been wrong.

8 hours ago, jaa1025 said:

I cannot believe they passed on QB for a RB. So dumb. Said it at the time and I'll say it again until they find one.

Did you watch the game?? Saquon is absolutely amazing. I’ve seen running backs as fast as him. I’ve seen running backs as big as him. I’ve never seen one that’s both. When Barry Sanders and Gale Sayers are your comps, except you’re 30 pounds bigger, its okay to draft a running back #2 overall.  think Troy Aikmen legit announced that entire game with a chub. He’s the only reason I’m still excited to tune in and watch the Giants this year. 

It’s not like we passed on a Peyton Manning or a Andrew Luck qb prospect. There will be prospects equal to, or better than Darnold in upcoming classes. The Giants will be in position to draft a top QB next year, or go after Carr. A certain 5-0 team in the NFCW drafted their franchise running back before drafting their franchise quarterback. It’s not like the Giants made a franchise crippling move.  They got a top 3 running back in the league, and that’ll make life much easier for whoever is our QB moving forward.

The Giants would be picking top 5 next year even with Darnold starting this year.  So the real question is would you rather have..

A. Sam Darnold and Nick Bosa 

B. Saquon Barkley and Justin Herbert

Keeping in mind that only one of these players is already a star in the NFL...

6 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

But replacing him with pretty much the same awful QB was asinine.

Wasn't it Eli who insisted that he shouldn't start if they intended to pull him at some point in the game? I remember hearing something about that.

Still, starting Geno over Davis Webb was beyond dumb.

2 minutes ago, Gmen said:

The Giants would be picking top 5 next year even with Darnold starting this year.  So the real question is would you rather have..

A. Sam Darnold and Nick Bosa 

B. Saquon Barkley and Justin Herbert

Keeping in mind that only one of these players is already a star in the NFL...

Honestly Sam Darnold has been kinda meh for the Jets so far and I don't see him doing any better behind the turnstile that is the Giants OL so I think they probably made the right call.

24 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Wasn't it Eli who insisted that he shouldn't start if they intended to pull him at some point in the game? I remember hearing something about that.

Still, starting Geno over Davis Webb was beyond dumb.

Yea, McAdoo was just starting Geno over Eli to be a Richard. Then he insults his dignity with that pathetic offer to artificially maintain the streak.

Giants fans would’ve been sad if Webb replaced Eli but we would understand. McAdoo is just a giant turd.

none of this years QB draftees are blowing up the place

the one with the most success is riding a Browns team with 3 takeaways every game

I know everyone wants their pick to be the people that turn into Watson & Mahomes are now. or Wentz & Goff were

I'm sure there's a stats guy somewhere that can plot the likelihood of a high pick draft QB becoming a franchise QB 10-15%?

going back 10 years, looks like 2~ make it every year. most years 2, some years none, others 4

4 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Then take Nelson. Or take Ward. Pick one of the premier positions like QB, CB, OT, or EDGE. A runningback at #2 overall when you are in the place the Giants are right now, in this era, isn't a huge need. Maybe you don't find generational talents in the later rounds, but you can still find good players that can replicate production. 

You can find good corners later in the draft too. Panthers are doing just find with non first round CBs.  And what EDGE player are you taking over Barkley?  Or OT, which was even more lacking?  You’re suggesting they reach on a position just because.  Barkley is a far better RB prospect than Chubb is a pass rusher.  And there wasn’t a single OT with taking at #2.  Not even close.

For some weird reason people act like an elite RB doesn’t make a difference.  I’m taking Barkley over Ward every day of the week.  Barkley is putting up insane #s right now in an awful offense.  Acting like that is easy to find is really underrating him.

RBs get an unfair shake on this site.  There’s a reason guys like Gurley, Barkley, CMac, Zeke, etc went so high.  They are difference makers.  

I mean we see late round WRs put in work every season, more so than RBs, and yet nobody ever says anything about them going in the 1st.  Only RBs.  It doesn’t make much sense to me.

Fact of the matter is the Giants would suck no matter who they took at 2.

9 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

You can find good corners later in the draft too. Panthers are doing just find with non first round CBs.  And what EDGE player are you taking over Barkley?  Or OT, which was even more lacking?  You’re suggesting they reach on a position just because.

For some weird reason people act like an elite RB doesn’t make a difference.  I’m taking Barkley over Ward every day of the week.  Barkley is putting up insane #s right now in an awful offense.  Acting like that is easy to find is really underrating him.

RBs get an unfair shake on this site.  There’s a reason guys like Gurley, Barkley, CMac, Zeke, etc went so high.  They are difference makers. 

But corners are more important than runningbacks. Not OT, I meant OL. Namely Nelson. Chubb wouldn't have been a worst pick over Barkley either. They could have also traded back. Giants need a boatload of players right now, more than a fancy toy. Runningbacks probably don't get a fair shake as high value picks due to teams using more guys be committee, and these guys just don't last that long. You're lucky to get 7 good non injury years out of one. Once they hit 30, they're done. Barkley looks great, but there have been great runners on teams that have won 2 or 3 games. 

Just now, PapaShogun said:

Barkley looks great, but there have been great runners on teams that have won 2 or 3 games. 

And there have been great guards on terrible teams.  There have been great players, regardless of position, on terrible teams.  I mean for example, OT is a valuable position and yet what did a Thomas ever help the Browns win?  The Rams sucked for awhile even with Donald. 

LIS, RB is the only position held to this  standard of holding team success against them when determining their value.  QB is the only position in the NFL where their ability correlates with win/losses.

How does Nelson make the Giants better than Barkley does?  The Colts got Nelson and still suck at blocking and running.  And guards can be found later in the draft too. Panthers have been fine at guard for years without investing more than a 3rd round.  RB isn’t the only position you can find good players at later in draft.

No 1 player is ever moving the needle on a terrible team unless it’s a QB.  Are y’all really that sure Darnold was that guy?

Also to add, you’re unlikely to get 7 great years out of any player regardless of position other than positions like QB.  I mean Revis was elite at corner and he only had 8 if you wanna include his rookie season.  Sherman only had 5 or 6.  

RB just gets held to a different standard for some reason.  It’s unlikely you’ll see 7+ great seasons from any one player.  7 great seasons is usually a HOF career.

1 minute ago, iknowcool said:

And there have been great guards on terrible teams.  There have been great players, regardless of position, on terrible teams.  I mean for example, OT is a valuable position and yet what did a Thomas ever help the Browns win?  The Rams sucked for awhile even with Donald. 

LIS, RB is the only position held to this  standard of holding team success against them when determining their value.  QB is the only position in the NFL where their ability correlates with win/losses.

How does Nelson make the Giants better than Barkley does?  The Colts got Nelson and still suck at blocking and running.  And guards can be found later in the draft too. Panthers have been fine at guard for years without investing more than a 3rd round.  RB isn’t the only position you can find good players at later in draft.

No 1 player is ever moving the needle on a terrible team unless it’s a QB.  Are y’all really that sure Darnold was that guy?

But a guard helps protect your quarterback. Same with an offensive tackle from maybe the 2nd most important position, an EDGE player. You're right, Thomas was stuck on a lackluster Cleveland team for a long time. But I don't think they ever really invested in acquiring a quarterback as much as they should have once he was taken. Which was the huge problem. 

Nelson will be there once a quarterback, hopefully next season, is taken early by the Giants. He can also play there for potentially 15 years. Not 7 or 8. The Colts would be in worse shape without someone like Nelson there to help them protect their most important player. Yes guards can be found later in the draft. Any player can. That's not the point. The point is value at the position when you have the #2 pick, and are at a crossroads like the Giants are. Also, like I said, the Giants could have traded back to try and get more players. Their roster overall is not good right now. 

Archived