Will Eli be benched again this season?

Elky

5 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Also to add, you’re unlikely to get 7 great years out of any player regardless of position other than positions like QB.  I mean Revis was elite at corner and he only had 8 if you wanna include his rookie season.  Sherman only had 5 or 6.  

RB just gets held to a different standard for some reason.  It’s unlikely you’ll see 7+ great seasons from any one player.  7 great seasons is usually a HOF career.

Sherman is actually playing pretty well right now. Revis fell off at around age 30, but I can name a ton of corners that kept up quality play beyond that age. Can't name very many runningbacks. They just take way too much abuse for the snaps they're involved in. 

16 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Also to add, you’re unlikely to get 7 great years out of any player regardless of position other than positions like QB.  I mean Revis was elite at corner and he only had 8 if you wanna include his rookie season.  Sherman only had 5 or 6.  

RB just gets held to a different standard for some reason.  It’s unlikely you’ll see 7+ great seasons from any one player.  7 great seasons is usually a HOF career.

4-6 years from a RB should be expected same with CB. DT, DE can expect 6-8 good to great years. 

But even if Barkley is only great for 5 years that's valuable. If his peak is the best RB in the league that pick was solid. 

I don't hate it but the clock is already ticking. You as the Giants need to improve the overall quality of your roster first in the next offseason. When you have done that you pick your QB in the 2020 draft and need to hit that. 

From then on you have a solid roster, 3-4 years of prime Barkley and 3-4 years of a QB on a rookie deal. Then you are able to seriously compete.

But turning over the roster in the next 2 offseasons including getting a great rookie QB on a rather cheap deal in 2020 will be a challenge. 

Overall I like the idea to improve your roster first before you get your rookie QB. That strategy works, see Seattle, Philly and now maybe the Bears. The Rams laid a similar foundation with first Donald, then Gurley and then Goff.

If the Giants can have Barkley and then Oliver/Bosa and then draft the right QB in 2020 it can work.

But a lot will depend on how good and how healthy Barkley will be. I like the pick just like how I liked the Gurley pick in 2015 but Barkley needs to be really special to be worth the selection longterm over the next 4-6 years and hit 2,000 scrimmage yards consistently.

27 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

But a guard helps protect your quarterback. He can also play there for potentially 15 years. 

1. How well is Luck being protected right now? 

2. 15 years?  Potentially, sure, but the likelihood of that happening are a lot lower  than you seem to think.  15 good/great years from any NFL player is unlikely. Hutchinson for example only played 12, and he wasnt nearly the same caliber player by his 9th season.

25 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

1. How well is Luck being protected right now? 

2. 15 years?  Potentially, sure, but the likelihood of that happening are a lot lower  than you seem to think.  15 good/great years from any NFL player is unlikely. Hutchinson for example only played 12, and he wasnt nearly the same caliber player by his 9th season.

1. Better than he would be if Nelson wasn't there.

2. But it can happen is the point. Or at least when the 30 year mark hits your player isn't most likely done. That's highly likely for a runner. Much more than a corner or offensive lineman that also sees a lot of snaps maintain their quality of play at that mark and beyond. 

9 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

If they'd benched Eli for an unknown, I doubt there'd have been as much fuss about it. But all they did was kill Eli's starting streak. For no reason.

There have been polls taken by Giants beat writers that prove the fans were more pissed about Geno playing than Eli getting benched. I said it before- if Mcadoo benched Eli for Webb, he'd still be our head coach.

6 hours ago, jaa1025 said:

All but potentially Mayfield which we will never know.

Gettleman made an interesting comment after the Barkley pick. He said something along the lines of after he saw Cleveland take Mayfield, he just took Barkley. I think the Giants would have taken Mayfield if the Browns didn't. Marc Ross, former VP of football ops, came out and said Mayfield was his #1 QB. 

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

And there have been great guards on terrible teams.  There have been great players, regardless of position, on terrible teams.  I mean for example, OT is a valuable position and yet what did a Thomas ever help the Browns win?  The Rams sucked for awhile even with Donald. 

LIS, RB is the only position held to this  standard of holding team success against them when determining their value.  QB is the only position in the NFL where their ability correlates with win/losses.

How does Nelson make the Giants better than Barkley does?  The Colts got Nelson and still suck at blocking and running.  And guards can be found later in the draft too. Panthers have been fine at guard for years without investing more than a 3rd round.  RB isn’t the only position you can find good players at later in draft.

No 1 player is ever moving the needle on a terrible team unless it’s a QB.  Are y’all really that sure Darnold was that guy?

I owe you a like tomorrow.

The guard we drafted in the 2nd is easily our best OL and is playing very well. Barkley is generational. Watch him and try telling me differently.

Archived