2018-2019 NCAAB Thread

11sanchez11

I would sign a deal with the devil right now to keep Jeff Capel here for the next 10 years no matter what.

Our athletic department managed to take a basketball program that was ranked number 1 in the country and a number one seed in the tournament more than once in the 00's, move it to the best basketball conference in the country, and tear it down to the ground to the point where the football program was a few years ago.  Any coach that brings pitt some success will start getting job offers and its gonna feel like any other job is a better opportunity than Pitt.  Pitt hasn't played anybody yet, but we lost to several nobodies last year and we will have it tough enough in conference play.  For the second year in a row we are playing several freshmen big minutes because any upper classman with any talent transferred as a result in one way or another of the idiotic hiring of Kevin Stallings.

On 11/24/2018 at 10:03 AM, grubs10 said:

I would sign a deal with the devil right now to keep Jeff Capel here for the next 10 years no matter what.

Our athletic department managed to take a basketball program that was ranked number 1 in the country and a number one seed in the tournament more than once in the 00's, move it to the best basketball conference in the country, and tear it down to the ground to the point where the football program was a few years ago.  Any coach that brings pitt some success will start getting job offers and its gonna feel like any other job is a better opportunity than Pitt.  Pitt hasn't played anybody yet, but we lost to several nobodies last year and we will have it tough enough in conference play.  For the second year in a row we are playing several freshmen big minutes because any upper classman with any talent transferred as a result in one way or another of the idiotic hiring of Kevin Stallings.

Jeff Capel is a great recruiter but he's a below average head coach. In his 9 years as a head coach, he made the tournament 3 times. He recruited fairly well at Oklahoma and still had very subpar success. In 5 years at OU the only 2 years, he made the tournament where the years he had Blake Griffin. In his other 3 years at OU he went 43-51 overall and 15-33 in Big XII play. Pittsburgh is 6-0 yet they're ranked 118th on KenPom with the 130th offense in the country. 

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Jeff Capel is a great recruiter but he's a below average head coach. In his 9 years as a head coach, he made the tournament 3 times. He recruited fairly well at Oklahoma and still had very subpar success. In 5 years at OU the only 2 years, he made the tournament where the years he had Blake Griffin. In his other 3 years at OU he went 43-51 overall and 15-33 in Big XII play. Pittsburgh is 6-0 yet they're ranked 118th on KenPom with the 130th offense in the country. 

Lol I get where your coming from but I'm gonna wait and see how things go before I base my expectations off of his time in Oklahoma.  He spent the last chunk of his coaching career under the best college coach in the game.  I'm sure it seems like I'm trying to big Pitt up but I'm really not, and I have no actual expectations of success for this team this year.  For the second year in a row, the majority of the guys getting playing time are new to the Pitt program.  ACC play will be ugly for this team no doubt.  St. Louis wasn't a bad win though especially early in the year.  Its very possible that 2 to 3 years from now I will be over Capel but I am not gonna act like its a guarantee he will be the same guy here that he was in Oklahoma.  Pitt was win-less in the ACC so if he can turn them into a tournament team in his second year that could open up some opportunities for him.

Its funny for a Duke guy to act like a coach spending 7 years in their program wouldn't have an effect on his coaching ability.  Not saying he will be great guaranteed because he spent time at Duke, but I've liked his approach with the program so far and I'm gonna enjoy any brief optimism I can find as a Pitt fan.

34 minutes ago, grubs10 said:

Lol I get where your coming from but I'm gonna wait and see how things go before I base my expectations off of his time in Oklahoma.  He spent the last chunk of his coaching career under the best college coach in the game.  I'm sure it seems like I'm trying to big Pitt up but I'm really not, and I have no actual expectations of success for this team this year.  For the second year in a row, the majority of the guys getting playing time are new to the Pitt program.  ACC play will be ugly for this team no doubt.  St. Louis wasn't a bad win though especially early in the year.  Its very possible that 2 to 3 years from now I will be over Capel but I am not gonna act like its a guarantee he will be the same guy here that he was in Oklahoma.  Pitt was win-less in the ACC so if he can turn them into a tournament team in his second year that could open up some opportunities for him.

Its funny for a Duke guy to act like a coach spending 7 years in their program wouldn't have an effect on his coaching ability.  Not saying he will be great guaranteed because he spent time at Duke, but I've liked his approach with the program so far and I'm gonna enjoy any brief optimism I can find as a Pitt fan.

Capel is one of the best recruiters in the country, that's what made him valuable for Duke, not his coaching. He filled in for Coach K for brief stints and didn't really impress anyone. I haven't kept up with his career so far but it will be important for him to surround himself with good assistant coaches. If he can get some good tacticians on his staff he could do very well at Pitt because he most certainly will recruit well. Realistically if he can turn the Pitt program around very quickly and make some noise in the ACC, I wouldn't be surprised to see him hired as Duke's next head coach.