Packers Roster Talent?

hoekd0250

I have to admit I truly believe it was time for Ted Thompson to step down. My only question was do people think he did that poor at drafting the past few years or was he just bad at evaluating the talent once they were on the team?

Casey Hayward

Mycle Hyde

Even Lawrence Guy

The problem was that he was only good on one side of the ball and that's offense. He get's an A plus on that side for not having to spend high draft picks on OL and WR talent and getting pro bowl performance. On the Defense he's taken many swings on higher draft picks and has more misses than hits. His bad draft and develop  philosophy left the roster thin with talent before Gute took over. I have faith in Gute that he'll finally get a SB worthy defense in GB. Had no problem moving on from Hyde. After ATL we all wanted more speed on defense and the Bills offered way more money than we would've. Heyward hurts because he was finally figuring it out at CB in his first contract year and was becoming an productive player. But we got fooled by Rollins in his rookie year, he played so good we gave him a nickname San Quentin and felt confident letting Heyward walk. Guy is just what his name is, a Guy. He was a 7th rounder who's bounced around the league as a solid depth player nothing special ala Dean Lowey. 

But is the talent on offense all that wonderful?  We have a great QB of course and the tackles aren't bad but we are in need of more talent inside.  Adams is good but the rest of the WR corps is average or so green that you can't really tell.  TE is still an issue.  Graham might still come around but he's just a stop-gap.  J.   I like our 3 RBs but Adams is being underutilized.  I don't know if it Mac not calling his name or if AR is changing the play at the LOS.

I like our D line but our pass rush is still a work in progress.  OLB is a big need still.  I like King but I think Ted screwed up big time not taking TJ Watt.  Our secondary is very young.  Our CBs have promise but safety is an issue.  I too am hoping our new DC will get these kids up to speed soon.

2 hours ago, hoekd0250 said:

I have to admit I truly believe it was time for Ted Thompson to step down. My only question was do people think he did that poor at drafting the past few years or was he just bad at evaluating the talent once they were on the team?

Casey Hayward

Mycle Hyde

Even Lawrence Guy

Murphy was a couple years late in asking TT to step down.  His last few drafts were poor, and the decisions to let guys like Hayward and Hyde leave caused the organization to expend a ton of draft capital in the secondary.  Now we will be in a bind at safety if we let HHCD walk.  Part of the problem there was the Packers giving up on Randall and shipping him off.  No doubt that the poor drafts have set us back a bit.  Gute's seemingly strong draft this past offseason is paying dividends already. 

I would say we have a solid roster overall ... no real huge holes, but not as productive as you'd like at OLB, Safety, and maybe Oline.  I think Gute hit on a couple of corners in the draft, and Burks should help give us a coverage backer for years to come.  I like the trio of wideouts he added.  MVS looks like he could be a real weapon down the line, and EQ is a good football player who could wind up being a great fit in this offense.  J'mon showed an ability to get open in the preseason .. just needs to mature as a pro.  We are going to have to hit OLB, S, and Oline this next offseason and draft.

With the new approach of being more aggressive in the offseason we should be able to quickly get this roster improved .. Gute hasn't hit on everything, but he's got us set up with (2) 1st round picks for this next draft and the solid salary cap situation should allow us to be a player in free agency.  Improving the pass rush, and solidifying the Oline should be the priorities for 2019.

3 hours ago, hoekd0250 said:

Casey Hayward

Mycle Hyde

Even Lawrence Guy

No idea who Mycle Hyde is ... wish I could remember that miss. 

3 hours ago, hoekd0250 said:

Casey Hayward

Mycle Hyde

Even Lawrence Guy

Wow what a list! I get what you're trying to get at but please do a little more research than throwing out three names. Guy? He's played with 5 different teams in 7 years. All of a sudden he is playing with NE and people want to blame Ted.

16 minutes ago, Pugger said:

But is the talent on offense all that wonderful?  We have a great QB of course and the tackles aren't bad but we are in need of more talent inside.  Adams is good but the rest of the WR corps is average or so green that you can't really tell.  TE is still an issue.  Graham might still come around but he's just a stop-gap.  J.   I like our 3 RBs but Adams is being underutilized.  I don't know if it Mac not calling his name or if AR is changing the play at the LOS.

I like our D line but our pass rush is still a work in progress.  OLB is a big need still.  I like King but I think Ted screwed up big time not taking TJ Watt.  Our secondary is very young.  Our CBs have promise but safety is an issue.  I too am hoping our new DC will get these kids up to speed soon.

We have arguably the best tackle duo in the league.

We're getting league average guard production at league low resource investment. 

Graham has two more years on his deal. That's not a stop gap. 

We've got a solid #1 receiver in Adams. Allison is league average and dirt cheap. 

Cobb is really the only bad contract on this offense and the premiums are very solid. 

TT's Drafts for reference - 

I don't think he did a bad job. His Defensive "hits" were important, but had less impact than his offensive "hits"

That being said, I would only tag him with having 7 bad picks in the 1st - 2nd round out of 29 possibilities. (With the potential for 10 if Rollins / Spriggs / Jones continue to suck.)

BOLD = Meaningful Starter at One Point
GOLD = HOF
BLUE = Impactful Defensive Player
GREEN = Impactful Offensive Player
RED = Meh in GB, Got Better On A Different Team

2005     2006     2007     2008     2009     2010  
1. Aaron Rodgers – QB 1. AJ Hawk – LB   1. Justin Harrell – DT 2. Jordy Nelson – WR 1. BJ Raji – NT   1. Bryan Bulaga – T
2. Nick Collins – S   2. Daryn Colledge – G 2. Brandon Jackson – RB 2. Brian Brohm – QB   1. Clay Matthews – LB 2. Mike Neal – DE
4. Marviel Underwood – S 2. Greg Jennings – WR 3. James Jones – WR 2. Pat Lee – CB   4. TJ Lang – G   3. Morgan Burnett – S
4. Brady Poppinga – LB 3. Abdul Hodge – LB   3. Aaron Rouse – DB   3. Jermichael Finley – TE 5. Quinn Johnson – FB 5. Andrew Quarless – TE
5. Junius Coston – C   3. Jason Spitz – G   4. Allen Barbre – G   4. Jeremy thompson – DE 5. Jamon Meredith – T 5. Marshall Newhouse – T
5. Mike Hawkins – DB 4. Cory Rodgers – WR 5.David Clowney – WR 4. Josh Sitton – G   6. Jarius Wynn – DE   6. James Starks – RB
6. Mike Montgomery – DT 4. Will Blackmon – CB 6. Korey Hall – FB   5.Breno Giacomini – T 6. Brandon Underwood – S 7. CJ Wilson – DE
6. Craig Bragg – WR   5. Ingle Martin – QB   6. Desmond Bishop – LB 7. Matt Flynn – QB   7. Brad Jones – LB      
7. Kurt Campbell – CB 5. Tony Moll – T   6. Mason Crosby – K   7. Brett Swain – WR            
7. Will Whitticker – G 6. Johnny Jolly – DT   7. DeShawn Wynn – RB                
      6. Tyrone Culver – CB 7. Clark Harris – TE                  
      7. Dave Tollefson – DE                      

2011     2012     2013     2014     2015        
1. Derek Sherrod – T   1. Nick Perry – LB   1. Datone Jones – DE 1. Haha Clinton Dix – S          
2. Randall Cobb – WR 2. Jerel Worthy – DE   2. Eddie Lacy – RB   2. Davante Adams – WR 1.30       Damarious Randall, CB    
3. Alex Green – RB   2. Casey Hayward – CB 4. David Bakhtiari – T 3. Khyri Thornton – DT 2.30       Quinten Rollins, CB           
4. Davon House – CB 4. Mike Daniels – DE 4. JC Tretter – OL   4. Richard Rodgers – TE 3.30       Ty Montgomery, RB          
5. DJ Williams – TE   4. Jerron McMillian – S 4. Jonathan Franklin – RB 5. Corey Linsley – C   4.30       Jake Ryan, LB         
6.Caleb Schlauderaff – G 5. Terrell Manning – LB 5. Micah Hyde – CB    5. Jared Abbrederis – WR 5.11       Brett Hundley, QB    
6. DJ Smith – LB   7. Andrew Datko – T   5. Josh Boyd – DE   6. Demetri Goodson – CB 6.30       Aaron Ripkowski, FB         
6. Ricky Elmore – LB   7. BJ Coleman – QB   6. Nate Palmer – OLB 7. Jeff Janis – WR   6.34       Christian Ringo, DE    
7. Ryan Taylor – TE         7. Charles Johnson – WR       6.37       Kennard Backman, TE    
7. Lawrence Guy – DT       7. Kevin Dorsey – WR                
              7. Sam Barrington – LB              

2016         2017                  

1.27       Kenny Clark, DT                    2.01       Kevin King, CB              
    2.17       Jason Spriggs, T     2.29       Josh Jones, S/LB               
    3.25       Kyler Fackrell, OLB              3.29       Montravius Adams, DT              
    4.33       Blake Martinez, ILB     4.01       Vince Biegel, LB              
    4.39       Dean Lowry, DE     4.28       Jamaal Williams, RB                    
    5.26       Trevor Davis, WR                5.32       DeAngelo Yancey, WR              
    6.25       Kyle Murphy, OL     5.39       Aaron Jones, RB              
              6.29       Kofi Amichia, T               
              7.20       Devante Mays, RB              
              7.29       Malachi Dupre, WR

It'd be pretty hard to find a team with a QB paid as much as Rodgers that also has:

Top 16 Safety
Top 3 LT
Top 16  RT
Top 16 C
Top 12 DL X 2
Three promising corners
Top 10 WR
Top 20 TE

The only thing this team is missing is a legitimate pass rusher. 

Just now, skibrett15 said:
2 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

I mean the bolded played significant snaps and contributed in my opinion.

Yeah it's just the green vs blue which was confusing.  Rodgers is green but so is Jamaal Williams

It took me way too long to figure out that green is offense and blue is defense

Archived