Packers Roster Talent?

hoekd0250

46 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

And then there's stuff like Colledge isn't a special color despite being a plus starter for 4 years... and Randall and Hyde are blue despite being meh or injured while here in GB.

idk man I was just going off of memory if they played meaningful minutes / ended up being good while limiting the color pallette. 

EDIT - I added a key.

9 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We have arguably the best tackle duo in the league.

We're getting league average guard production at league low resource investment. 

Graham has two more years on his deal. That's not a stop gap. 

We've got a solid #1 receiver in Adams. Allison is league average and dirt cheap. 

Cobb is really the only bad contract on this offense and the premiums are very solid. 

That's a nice way of looking at it.

An alternative way of looking at is that our O-Line has gradually got worse over the years (barring LT of course). We have replaced our Guards with UDFAs or unwanted free agents. That's not knocking Lane Taylor who is a decent player but he isn't Sitton or a Lang. Bulaga is a good RT but its extremely naïve to expect Bulaga to last a season and when he goes down, the line could look pretty weak indeed. Which isn't ideal when Rodgers clearly cannot take hits any more.

With the exception of Adams, all of the receivers and tight ends are either old and in decline or are late round punts that might work out. Allison is dirt cheap and useful depth but isn't going to scare anyone.

Running Back is the only position on offense that we can be truly comfortable at currently (well obviously a healthy number 12 and we are comfortable but that's becoming wishful thinking).

4 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

That's a nice way of looking at it.

An alternative way of looking at is that our O-Line has gradually got worse over the years (barring LT of course). We have replaced our Guards with UDFAs or unwanted free agents. That's not knocking Lane Taylor who is a decent player but he isn't Sitton or a Lang. Bulaga is a good RT but its extremely naïve to expect Bulaga to last a season and when he goes down, the line could look pretty weak indeed. Which isn't ideal when Rodgers clearly cannot take hits any more.

With the exception of Adams, all of the receivers and tight ends are either old and in decline or are late round punts that might work out. Allison is dirt cheap and useful depth but isn't going to scare anyone.

Running Back is the only position on offense that we can be truly comfortable at currently (well obviously a healthy number 12 and we are comfortable but that's becoming wishful thinking).

I think most GMs given the choice between paying 2 all pro guards 22 million, or paying 2 average guards 6 million would take the latter.

If Bulaga goes down, Spriggs is waiting. Give the man some reps and let's see what we have going forward.

Even at receiver, when you're talking non premiums, decent and cheap is a way of life.

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think most GMs given the choice between paying 2 all pro guards 22 million, or paying 2 average guards 6 million would take the latter.

If Bulaga goes down, Spriggs is waiting. Give the man some reps and let's see what we have going forward.

Even at receiver, when you're talking non premiums, decent and cheap is a way of life.

Spriggs was waiting- he was carted off from practice today, so he will wait a bit longer it seems.

15 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Which is fine and I wouldn't disagree with that. But lets not say the offense is full of talent because I don't think it is. And I don't think Rodgers is the superstar make everything right quarterback he once was. 

Re Spriggs - if he isn't crocked, you are right that we need to see what he can do. If he can't cut it now in year 3 then RT should be priority 1 next off-season whether via draft or FA

11 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Spriggs went down in practice today. 

When I take off my green and gold glasses and give the roster a cold, objective stare, there's just not a lot of talent on it right now. 2-2-1 seems about right. Until some of the young talent matures (Alexander, Jackson, Burks, MVS, EQ, Tonyan) and more is added next year, this group will struggle to finish above .500. Next year's draft must rebuild the OLB group (Gilbert seems like the only one with a future), and add depth to OL and DL. Getting Matthews' contract off the books should allow for a FA safety signing (I would let HaHa walk). By the end of 8 games, it should be clear if this team is capable of even a wild card spot. If not, no use sitting the young talent at that point. I would play Breeland (to see if he can earn a contract extension) and Jackson at CB, Alexander in the slot, and J. Jones (over HaHa) at safety. Likewise Gilbert over Matthews, Burks (over Morrison), and M. Adams should get a lot of snaps. On offense, get Tonyan on the field over Kendricks, and play Kumerow and the rookies at WR. That way, going into the 2019 season, they will be ready to play! 

This does NOT mean I'm saying we should tank the season. I think on a purely physical talent level they may be better than the aging vets. They may make mental errors the vets wouldn't, but those will diminish as time goes on. And those mental errors will be balanced by them winning more physical battles. I believe the record would end up being about the same. But the experience gained by the rookies will hopefully mean a faster start in 2019 and a real shot at a deep play off run. 

I wish they could turn it around and win the super bowl this year, but I'm beginning to doubt it. Guys like T. Williams, Cobb, and Matthews are past their prime. I love 'em, and I love what they've done for the Packers over the years, but it's time to move on. Graham and Bulaga are fast moving into that territory too. (HaHa, my gut tells me, never wanted to play in Green Bay.)

23 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We have arguably the best tackle duo in the league.

We're getting league average guard production at league low resource investment. 

Graham has two more years on his deal. That's not a stop gap. 

We've got a solid #1 receiver in Adams. Allison is league average and dirt cheap. 

Cobb is really the only bad contract on this offense and the premiums are very solid. 

Yes, our tackles are great.  Graham has 2 more years but he isn't a long term solution.  Cobb's contract isn't great but he is sorely missed when he isn't in there.

6 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Yes, our tackles are great.  Graham has 2 more years but he isn't a long term solution.  Cobb's contract isn't great but he is sorely missed when he isn't in there.

2 years after this one is "Long term" in the NFL.

NFL team misses 10 million dollar receiver isn't exactly news. MVS will be fine with reps.

Archived