Why Don't We See More Star Players Demand to be Traded in the NFL

MKnight82

Star NBA players are selfish egomaniacs. There are some of those in the NFL but not nearly as bad. Plus the NBA doesn't have a franchise tag so the players really have their teams by the balls. 

For an NFL player to force a trade they'd have to be willing to refuse to play which could cost them a lot of money. And most good organizations don't want players who'd be willing to just not play.

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

It happens all the time in the NBA.  If a team is pretty terrible with a star player, you'll see him demand a trade and the team will move him.  That rarely happens in the NFL.  

There's a bunch of factors that play into this so I'll bullet point them.

1. The players worth, The difference between what one team thinks Ex: Kirk Cousins is worth and another is totally different.

2. The Players salary, players on their rookie contracts are easier to trade but if a player has guarenteed $$ on their contract they're hard to trade since the new team would have to pay them and give up compensation.

3. Scheme fit, some players just simply don't fit a teams schemes.

7 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

It happens all the time in the NBA.  If a team is pretty terrible with a star player, you'll see him demand a trade and the team will move him.  That rarely happens in the NFL.  

The NFL has a hard cap, lots of non guaranteed money. A player would probably want to be cut so they can dictate where they sign, and a team would be more inclined to cut them due to little financial ramification. 

The NBA has a whacky cap. Bird rules and luxury taxes and super max contracts - I don't think they have a function to cut someone to even begin with (they can amnesty guys, but think that's once a season) so if you want out, gotta move em.

2 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

There's a bunch of factors that play into this so I'll bullet point them.

1. The players worth, The difference between what one team thinks Ex: Kirk Cousins is worth and another is totally different.

2. The Players salary, players on their rookie contracts are easier to trade but if a player has guarenteed $$ on their contract they're hard to trade since the new team would have to pay them and give up compensation.

3. Scheme fit, some players just simply don't fit a teams schemes.

This.  Also, there are simply way fewer player trades in the NFL relative to the NBA (largely for the difficulty in moving across teams, which is far more seamless in the NBA).

Simply, because in the NBA 1 player can have a much bigger impact on how good a team is than the NFL. 5 guys on a basketball court always touching the ball that have an influence each possession on the outcome of the game. Its essentially having 5 guys with equal importance of a QB that ALL need to be effective to become great. In the NFL there are 22 players on offense and defense. Probably close to 30 per game that receive playing time. 

Roster size is the biggest reason. In the NFL more than just 1 or 2 really good players dictate how good a team is. Plus really good teams usually have a high payroll maxing out their hard cap cant afford a disgruntled star who makes 10 million per season.

I think it's mostly because of how little power NFL players have compared to basketball players. Star players in basketball generally have much bigger egos - which is expected, given the dynamics of the game - and if they aren't content with where they are, in can have a huge detrimental effect on their current team. Having an elite player can completely flip the dynamic of a team's culture, and the players know it. They can't be tagged and, in my opinion, are generally less passionate about their teammates than most football players. I'd also add that assets in the NBA are generally more valuable as well, because of the different success rates. A future 1st from the Brooklyn Nets is incredibly different from a future 1st from the Jets. Just the whole system is different.

That, and if another team hear's that so-and-so wants to be traded, they'll likely pony up to get him. As others have said, transitions in the NBA are easier and less scheme specific, which gives front offices more confidence in a player fitting in on their squad. 

NFL teams really value draft picks and that is usually what is requested when trading a player so they are just rare for big name players compared to other leagues where draft picks aren't seen as valuable and prospects are seen as more valuable. Player for player trades are harder for cap penalties as mentioned above. There are many factors I suppose.

I agree with the cap impacts.  In the NBA, the team trading away the player has no impact on their cap, as the swap has to match salaries.  In the NFL, the team trading away the player still has the impact of the guaranteed money for the player being traded on their cap and they don't necessarily get a player in return for it that matches.  It's just simply easier to move players in the NBA and the players know it.    

Because they can actually get traded. NFL players have no say in whether they get traded regardless of how much they demand. That and there's pretty much never a way to get equal or even 60/40 value for a trade in the NFL.

NBA players have egos that are off the charts. NFL players seem more blue collared. Star players waste their entire careers in the NFL playing for teams that are completely hopeless. There are tons of examples. I think at least a minor part of it is how big the teams are too. It's probably easier to abandon a team of handful of guys that you view as inferior, while when you're one of 53 moving parts that all need to work together in one way or another, it's kind of a different feeling.

Ego plays a role, but parity does too.

Star players in the NBA understand that they need to band together and make super teams if they want any postseason success. In the NFL, a team can basically come out of nowhere and have a great year.

But mostly, its because football is simply more of a team sport where you are ingrained from a young age to view the moving parts rather than the sum. In the NBA you have 16 year olds who go to school online and travel to tournaments with random teammates to show their personal skills. Its far less of a team sport, at least these days.

Archived