Dak Prescott's ceiling McNabb/Hasselbeck?

Malik

Curious about everyone's opinion on this. We've all seen a good handful of Cowboys games because they get like 8 primetimes games every season. I'm probably higher up on Dak than most people who aren't Cowboys, but so far it looks like his ceiling is in that Matt Hasselbeck and Donovan McNabb range. I mean that in the best possible way because they were both QBs who had a good amount of winning seasons and had like dozen playoff games each. They were consistent and good enough at their best to be Pro Bowl caliber QBs, but never really good enough to be in second team All-Pro or MVP considerations. When they had good overall teams around them they took their teams to the playoffs and eventually a Super Bowl. They were still limited enough that they weren't going to elevate a limited roster. Maybe Dak takes a huge jump in the rest of this season + next season, but so far that's all I see from him. He's a guy that's definitely talented enough to be an unquestioned starter, but won't amount to much without other pieces around him. 

His floor is probably a middle class Alex Smith though.

The biggest obstacle that holds Dak back is his accuracy. Otherwise I believe he could easily be a Top 10 even Top 5 QB. He has poise, toughness, getting better at reading coverages and making audibles at the line. But it's his accuracy that makes him look almost pedestrian and I'm not sure he can make a big leap in that area even with practice. You can teach mechanics, throwing motion, set up, and a thousand other different things but his release is where all the problems are. You would think that it's an easy thing to fix considering the release point between throwing the ball 10 yards over the receivers heads or hitting them in the numbers all occur in a area that is just a few inches apart. His hand to eye coordination is what effects when the thumb releases it's grip on the ball and the other 4 fingers follows through with delivering that last bit of force to give the ball it's greatest amount of velocity coming out of the hands. Dak has good mechanics, and a over the head release that coaches like to see. He uses his hips and lower body to generate to give himself the amount of throwing power necessary to get the ball down field. But it's his hand and when his brain is informing it to follow through with the pass that is where the greatest amount of erratic throws comes from. I'm not sure that's fixable.

Right now he resembles a young McNabb who was also a bit erratic in his passing.

2 hours ago, August4th said:

I think his ceiling is 2007 David Garrard

Thats probably not a bad comparison really. Someone good enough to run but not a run-first QB. Can make the short/intermediate throws and is safe with the ball but takes little chances. Like a poor man's Alex Smith before his last year in KC

Dak looked good and took shots down field in 2016.  Then, Garrett finally got his hands on Dak for a full offseason and "coached him up". Kellen Moore as a QB coach is also doing wonders... 

Whether Dak is the starter next year or not, all I know is that Garrett shouldn't be allowed to have another QB.  Jason's weak, play to not lose, risk-adverse philosophy should be nowhere near a young QB that needs real mentorship. 

1 hour ago, game3525 said:

Yeah,  but I think people who were saying that were just fishing for hot takes. 

Yep. It was a silly take at the time and hasn't aged well.

6 hours ago, August4th said:

I think his ceiling is 2007 David Garrard

This. Perfect comparison.

Archived