When VJ gets fired

jsthomp2007

1 hour ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I wonder if Dabo Sweeny could be an option...or is he too southern to make it in Denver? 

Jim Bob Cooter made it in Detroit (so far), so anything's possible. Especially if the guy helps you win.

Honestly the Broncos need somebody, anybody, who can inject some energy and confidence back into their team. Granted they have not had the easiest schedule, but they've got too much talent to be doing this badly. They have a fairly easy 4-game stretch coming up (after the double-barreled shotgun blast of LAC and Pittsburgh), so they just might avoid a losing record.

But even if they do, I agree with the popular opinion here. Vance needs to go.

3 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I wonder if Dabo Sweeny could be an option...or is he too southern to make it in Denver? 

"Hey Dabo,  Nice set up you have over there at Clemson. How interested would you be in taking over as HC of a 6-10 NFL team without an answer at QB and a domineering GM known for his tendency to micromanage?" 

5 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

"Hey Dabo,  Nice set up you have over there at Clemson. How interested would you be in taking over as HC of a 6-10 NFL team without an answer at QB and a domineering GM known for his tendency to micromanage?" 

"Hey Dabo...you did a masterful turnaround job on a college program; how about taking your talents to Denver and turning around one of this historically best NFL franchises in NFL history?" Also, you can hand pick your QBOTF and hopefully that might be Trevor Lawrence in a year or two. 

41 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

"Hey Dabo...you did a masterful turnaround job on a college program; how about taking your talents to Denver and turning around one of this historically best NFL franchises in NFL history?" Also, you can hand pick your QBOTF and hopefully that might be Trevor Lawrence in a year or two. 

Agreed, and heres why a college coach intrigues me so much. Elways a competent gm, him and Kubiak look to have a good thing going with the draft. But having a college coach so close to that game could do wonders. 

Remember how good Snyder's drafts were in Seattle first couple of years? I think that's largely due to Pete Carroll understanding the young players entering the league from the college game .

29 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Agreed, and heres why a college coach intrigues me so much. Elways a competent gm, him and Kubiak look to have a good thing going with the draft. But having a college coach so close to that game could do wonders. 

Remember how good Snyder's drafts were in Seattle first couple of years? I think that's largely due to Pete Carroll understanding the young players entering the league from the college game .

And...he has a year till Lawrence comes out for the draft, so he has a year to build a good, solid, OL to put in front...not to mention the best DLs in college football to draft.  I'd just say...would you like trout with your grits coach Dabo...here is a ski pass, a fly rod, and some edible gummy bears if you coach in Denver. 

2 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

And...he has a year till Lawrence comes out for the draft, so he has a year to build a good, solid, OL to put in front...not to mention the best DLs in college football to draft.  I'd just say...would you like trout with your grits coach Dabo...here is a ski pass, a fly rod, and some edible gummy bears if you coach in Denver. 

Lawrence is a freshman. He isn't eligible till the 2021 draft.

Zero % chance Dabo gives it any thought. Why would he? If we take off our homer glasses we can recognize that we aren't a top-10 coaching destination in the NFL right now - let alone all of football. 

3 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

Zero % chance Dabo gives it any thought. Why would he? If we take off our homer glasses we can recognize that we aren't a top-10 coaching destination in the NFL right now - let alone all of football. 

Maybe dabo might not but the coach from Oklahoma might, or Shaw. Never underestimate a guy wanting to coach at the highest level.

I think this is a top 10 destination the talent definitely outweighs what our record is. Plus, it's better I think to be able to help get a qb in the fold rather than trying to coach an underperforming one or middle of the pack. Pat Shurmer in ny rings a bell, and Gase with Miami.

I think Elway in his end of the year presser has to take the pressure off the next coach to win right away. This is gonna take a year or 2. So the we wanna win from no on modo has to stop.

11 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

Oh so you are close friends with Dabo? 

9 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Also just take a look at Isiah McKenzie today as the poster child as to what this coaching staff lacks. He had a great game in his buffalo debut. And this staff got zero out of him.

4 rushes 33 yards, catch for 14 yards, and a bunch of kick return and punt return yards. 

Yeh, let's slow down with that for a bit. I actually mentioned in another thread that I would like to see McKenzie in a scheme that is more suiting to him (a lot Jet Motion, screens, etc) but it's wayyyyyyyy too soon to start criticising the decision to let him go.

He's built up enough bad credit with his fumbles for me to crown him any time soon.

4 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Yeh, let's slow down with that for a bit. I actually mentioned in another thread that I would like to see McKenzie in a scheme that is more suiting to him (a lot Jet Motion, screens, etc) but it's wayyyyyyyy too soon to start criticising the decision to let him go.

He's built up enough bad credit with his fumbles for me to crown him any time soon.

I'm saying he didn't fumble and looked very competent for them. So I don't think our players are coached well . We will see. The guy came in this week and was very solid.

The problem with college HC's is they are pretty much gods at their current job.  The only reason to take it to the NFL is if they think they can't take the program any further.  It's why David Shaw at Stanford and Jim Harbaugh at Michigan get a lot of love, since those programs are always going to be perennial dogs in their conferences.    Lincoln Riley would be a surprise since OKL actually has national contention hopes...but then again, it's Norman lol.    Swinney at Clemson, he's basically set - top program, he corners the market on recruiting locally and can bring in national recruits (which keeps the powerhouse status), and he's basically teflon, unless you pull off a Paterno-like cover-up, or Urban Meyer-level.  

We do have to stop thinking we're a top destination for coaches, though.   Until Elway is willing to cede some actual control, no hot college coach or pro-OC who's in demand is coming our way.  

12 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I think this is a top 10 destination the talent definitely outweighs what our record is. Plus, it's better I think to be able to help get a qb in the fold rather than trying to coach an underperforming one or middle of the pack. Pat Shurmer in ny rings a bell, and Gase with Miami.

Not to mention the prime NCAAF spots better, here are the spots in the NFL alone. 

Jobs that are indisputably better jobs than the Broncos HG gig right now: KC, LAC, OAK, PIT, CLE, HOU, TEN, IND, JAX, PHI, NYG, LAR, SEA, ARI, SF, CHI, MIN, GB, NO, CAR, ATL

Jobs that are probably better (or comparable): DAL, BAL, CIN, NE, DET

Jobs that are worse: WAS, BUF, MIA, TB

24 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Not to mention the prime NCAAF spots better, here are the spots in the NFL alone. 

Jobs that are indisputably better jobs than the Broncos HG gig right now: KC, LAC, OAK, PIT, CLE, HOU, TEN, IND, JAX, PHI, NYG, LAR, SEA, ARI, SF, CHI, MIN, GB, NO, CAR, ATL

Jobs that are probably better (or comparable): DAL, BAL, CIN, NE, DET

Jobs that are worse: WAS, BUF, MIA, TB

I'd probably put JAX in category 2 because of their cap situation (they spent their way to cap hell and a lot of their high priced talent is getting older).   

But man, that's a REALLY harsh list.

Sadly, it's also fairly on-point.  Take off the hometeam glasses, and add in the fact that Elway as GM won't let a new HC come in with the same kind of control a lot of other orgs would cede...yeah, it's a tall order.

Archived