When VJ gets fired

jsthomp2007

11 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

Yeah the discussion escaped my initial point. I don’t disagree that coordinators and the overwhelming majority of college coaches would jump at the opportunity to be a HC in the NFL.

Luring away a Dabo, Riley, etc is an entirely different animal and one that all sober-minded Broncos fans can admit isn’t a realistic expectation with the condition of the organization currently. 

Yup, I missed that. IMO guys like that would be absolute idiots to ever leave the college ranks in almost any circumstance.

9 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Yup, I missed that. IMO guys like that would be absolute idiots to ever leave the college ranks in almost any circumstance.

Agreed- only makes sense for them if an outlier opportunity were to present itself (i.e. Andy Reid retiring mid-Mahomes' peak, Gruden-level money, leash & control, etc).

18 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

But that's a different argument - and for what it's worth, I agree with you.

My point was that incoming coaches place a premium value on the QB position - because poor QB play is a death sentence for coaches. 

Denver's QB situation is about as bad as it gets. An overpaid aging journeyman, no young prospects on the roster, a weak upcoming QB FA class, not a ton of cap space anyway, an early/middle-of-the-road draft pick in a QB weak draft, and a roster promising enough to insure that we're not in prime QB selection territory any time soon. That matters to coaches. 

To your point, after a good draft and some nice picks in the next one, I'm actually somewhat optimistic about our roster moving forward - but I'm not optimistic about our appeal to potential coaches around the league. 

New Orleans and San Diego have been successful in their own right with long term QB's because of good drafts. At the end of the day, a team needs a QB and needs to draft well. I'm envious of KC, not laughing at their 'future' problems. We signed Von Miller to a huge contract and that's great, but we don't have a QB and we had some terrible drafts so it's all moot. Even if we nailed the 2016 and 2017 drafts we'd still have a huge hole at QB that, IMO, wouldn't get us another ring. We'd be perennial playoff and AFCCG contenders, but nothing more.

25 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

New Orleans and San Diego have been successful in their own right with long term QB's because of good drafts. At the end of the day, a team needs a QB and needs to draft well. I'm envious of KC, not laughing at their 'future' problems. We signed Von Miller to a huge contract and that's great, but we don't have a QB and we had some terrible drafts so it's all moot. Even if we nailed the 2016 and 2017 drafts we'd still have a huge hole at QB that, IMO, wouldn't get us another ring. We'd be perennial playoff and AFCCG contenders, but nothing more.

It is like the story of the victoria secret model getting her rear-end whipped by a limp garden hose in your backyard. 

1 hour ago, The Helicopter said:

You mean, outside of one year for NO, we'd be just like the Saints and Chargers?

Just a glimpse at how quick coaching can change.  Teryl Austin as the DC for the Lions had numerous HC interviews over the last 2-3 years and was thought of as an eventual NFL HC.  He left Detroit and went to Cincinatti as their DC and was just fired after giving up multiple 500 yard games and being last in points allowed.  Obviously he isn’t the only problem there and he may very well end up getting an HC gig at some point, but this is a prime example of why these guys take gigs when they’re offered regardless of roster structure and who is the VPO or GM.  It’s a fickle business where you never really know where you stand.  Austin just went from an HC candidate last year to job hunting for a DC or potentially even position coach job.

26 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

AKRNA, I'm not following what you're saying. What's the, "one year"?

You'd referenced NO and SD as successful franchises with long term QB's. Then mentioned that unless we had a long term solution we can be no more than perennial playoff contenders and nothing more.

My point is, outside of the one SB year when NO won, the Chargers and Saints are at best occasional playoff contenders, and nothing more. 

My point is, outside of the one SB year when NO won, the Chargers and Saints are at best occasional playoff contenders, and nothing more

Taking Super Bowl aspirations out of the picture, at least having a long-term QB gives you much more watchable football. If I am guaranteed the same results, I still take the franchise QB because they inject much more enjoyment in watching the game.

2 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Taking Super Bowl aspirations out of the picture, at least having a long-term QB gives you much more watchable football. If I am guaranteed the same results, I still take the franchise QB because they inject much more enjoyment in watching the game.

Yeah, but how frustrating is it do you think for Packer's fans?  They have had a HOF caliber QB since the early 90's  and have won what two Super Bowls and have been to just four during that time???  I mean, I guess with Rogers you have a shot every year and someone will pick the Packer's to be in the Super Bowl because of him...but man...fans there have to get disappointed every year and his window is only closing.  

Corrugated metal or concrete barrier walls installed around a basement window to hold back the earth

I can't disagree with that at all. I loved it when we finally got Elway, that kid was fun to watch. He was also good enough to carry a team, something only the real elite can do.

https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Article/Marquette-King-unloads-on-Broncos-for-causing-injury-release-124693388/Amp/

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/11/14/derek-wolfe-denver-broncos-2/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

First DT, now 2 more players are starting to sound off, and it's exactly what I was expecting to hear. There's a serious problem going on with this organization, and if Elway wants to save his skin, he better hit a home run with his coaching staff this offseason. Another great draft wouldn't hurt either. 

1 hour ago, 1234567 said:

https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Article/Marquette-King-unloads-on-Broncos-for-causing-injury-release-124693388/Amp/

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/11/14/derek-wolfe-denver-broncos-2/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

First DT, now 2 more players are starting to sound off, and it's exactly what I was expecting to hear. There's a serious problem going on with this organization, and if Elway wants to save his skin, he better hit a home run with his coaching staff this offseason. Another great draft wouldn't hurt either. 

King you could say sour grapes easily given his history.  DT was never a press diva. Not once.  Yet ppl wanted to paint him as being unreasonable - ok, just agree to disagree given DT’s record.   All good. 

But Wolfe?  If ppl think he’s the problem and not the coaching staff, I don’t know what to say.  

King was a guy you could easily dismiss.  DT was a pretty iffy call to question.  Wolfe now calling out the coaching staff should seal the deal here.  

Archived