jsthomp2007

When VJ gets fired

11 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

Yeah the discussion escaped my initial point. I don’t disagree that coordinators and the overwhelming majority of college coaches would jump at the opportunity to be a HC in the NFL.

Luring away a Dabo, Riley, etc is an entirely different animal and one that all sober-minded Broncos fans can admit isn’t a realistic expectation with the condition of the organization currently. 

Yup, I missed that. IMO guys like that would be absolute idiots to ever leave the college ranks in almost any circumstance.

9 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Yup, I missed that. IMO guys like that would be absolute idiots to ever leave the college ranks in almost any circumstance.

Agreed- only makes sense for them if an outlier opportunity were to present itself (i.e. Andy Reid retiring mid-Mahomes' peak, Gruden-level money, leash & control, etc).

Edited by bMiller031

18 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

But that's a different argument - and for what it's worth, I agree with you.

My point was that incoming coaches place a premium value on the QB position - because poor QB play is a death sentence for coaches. 

Denver's QB situation is about as bad as it gets. An overpaid aging journeyman, no young prospects on the roster, a weak upcoming QB FA class, not a ton of cap space anyway, an early/middle-of-the-road draft pick in a QB weak draft, and a roster promising enough to insure that we're not in prime QB selection territory any time soon. That matters to coaches. 

To your point, after a good draft and some nice picks in the next one, I'm actually somewhat optimistic about our roster moving forward - but I'm not optimistic about our appeal to potential coaches around the league. 

New Orleans and San Diego have been successful in their own right with long term QB's because of good drafts. At the end of the day, a team needs a QB and needs to draft well. I'm envious of KC, not laughing at their 'future' problems. We signed Von Miller to a huge contract and that's great, but we don't have a QB and we had some terrible drafts so it's all moot. Even if we nailed the 2016 and 2017 drafts we'd still have a huge hole at QB that, IMO, wouldn't get us another ring. We'd be perennial playoff and AFCCG contenders, but nothing more.