When VJ gets fired

jsthomp2007

21 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

King you could say sour grapes easily given his history.  DT was never a press diva. Not once.  Yet ppl wanted to paint him as being unreasonable - ok, just agree to disagree given DT’s record.   All good. 

But Wolfe?  If ppl think he’s the problem and not the coaching staff, I don’t know what to say.  

King was a guy you could easily dismiss.  DT was a pretty iffy call to question.  Wolfe now calling out the coaching staff should seal the deal here.  

Hang on a bit guys, I just read that article for the 4th time to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Bottom line, Wolfe seems to be upset about Wades dismissal and failure to land a quality QB. That probably is the same feeling of every defensive player. He also admits he's still happy with where he is and with the choices he made, just that he'd be happier if they were winning.

My reading comprehensions right up there and nowhere does Wolfe call out the coaching staff, the FO a bit but not the coaching staff. That's strictly speculation on the authors behalf.

Love to see the guys finally talking. This coaching staff and front office deserves to be scorned for the mistakes. Letting Wade walk, signing Case, handing the team to an incompetent yes-man in Vance, etc. Elway needs to start feeling some pressure. Real pressure. The product has gone stale and accountability starts at the top.

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

Hang on a bit guys, I just read that article for the 4th time to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Bottom line, Wolfe seems to be upset about Wades dismissal and failure to land a quality QB. That probably is the same feeling of every defensive player. He also admits he's still happy with where he is and with the choices he made, just that he'd be happier if they were winning.

My reading comprehensions right up there and nowhere does Wolfe call out the coaching staff, the FO a bit but not the coaching staff. That's strictly speculation on the authors behalf.

It is not the first time Wolfe has commented - the defence had a players only meeting after the Jets game - and it looks like Wolfe, Harris and Marshall were responsible for organising it. The basis of the meeting was to discuss the difficulties they were having the the coaches and how to approach them. VJ said he wanted feedback - yet it appears that he promptly ignored what they had to say (and from all the reports we are getting that seems to be a trend).

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

Wolfe is speaking with respect and doing it the right way.   But all of the problems he’s listed fall on the FO and his wish to have kept Wade can only point to the replacements not being up to the job.  I don’t give much weight to King as he wasn’t here even half a season. 

When you add in the players only meeting and DT’s record of being a stand up guy in the press, it doesn’t leave credibility with the coaching staff or FO.   The fact it’s Wolfe only highlights it’s not departing players who see the problems.  I’d put good money the week after VJ gets fired we will get the full extent of how poorly coached the team was.   This is just the polite team-first sanitized version now. 

7 hours ago, BaldyBronco said:

Did you all see the article by Ian Rapoport?  This would change the conversation immensely about what kind of coach we would hire.  Is this a Mike Shanahan tip off?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000988871/article/former-coach-gary-kubiak-might-return-to-sideline-next-year

If anything it’s a tip off that we might look at John Harbaugh if the Ravens mutually agree to part ways with him. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, I am a little confused now on this whole VJ thing.  So I will pose a few questions.

1. Has VJ saved his job?

2. If not, what will it take to save his job?

3. If either of the above are resolved to him being the coach next year, would someone punch me right in my face?

8 minutes ago, BaldyBronco said:

So, I am a little confused now on this whole VJ thing.  So I will pose a few questions.

1. Has VJ saved his job?

3. If either of the above are resolved to him being the coach next year, would someone punch me right in my face?

1. Unclear but no longer a lock he’s gone. 

2.  Playoffs and he’s back.   9-7 but no playoffs unclear.  8-8 or worse I’d imagine it’s curtains.  

3.  There are no Kareem Hunts in the room.  You’re safe. 

9 minutes ago, BaldyBronco said:

1. Has VJ saved his job?

1. No

2. The play-offs - and that might not even do it 

3. We don't know is happening behind the scenes - is the current run the result of Joseph learning his craft as a HC or is it because of the players stepping up despite him or is it because of the rest of the coaching staff etc - we don't know. We also don't know if Elway is waiting to see what coaches become available - Harbaugh - and we don't know if he wants Kubiak as OC. There are a lot of ifs, buts and maybes to pan out yet. 

Personally I think Joseph is gone unless they make the play-offs and go past the wildcard - it would be hard to sack him in that situation.

Unfortunately I think this mid-to-late season rally has actually saved Vance's job, barring a total collapse in the final quarter of the season. I think not just the wins but the fact that we played the Texans, Rams and Chiefs (twice) very close also works in his favor. I don't think it's going to come down to whether we post a 9-7 or 10-6 or even 8-8 record or if we make the playoffs or not, I think the powers that believe the trend lines are pointing in the right direction and they'll bring Vance back for a third year. 

Two other things working in Vance's favor, and we shouldn't discount either of these as they do factor into the decision, Elway would prefer to have a measure of continuity and Ellis has run the team into a financial pickle since he's been unable to find a naming rights partner and he's not going to want to pay out the rest of Vance's contract (and his staff's) and pay a new coach (and his staff's). 

10 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Unfortunately I think this mid-to-late season rally has actually saved Vance's job, barring a total collapse in the final quarter of the season. I think not just the wins but the fact that we played the Texans, Rams and Chiefs (twice) very close also works in his favor. I don't think it's going to come down to whether we post a 9-7 or 10-6 or even 8-8 record or if we make the playoffs or not, I think the powers that believe the trend lines are pointing in the right direction and they'll bring Vance back for a third year. 

Two other things working in Vance's favor, and we shouldn't discount either of these as they do factor into the decision, Elway would prefer to have a measure of continuity and Ellis has run the team into a financial pickle since he's been unable to find a naming rights partner and he's not going to want to pay out the rest of Vance's contract (and his staff's) and pay a new coach (and his staff's). 

New Belgium Brewery at Mile High sounds awfully nice.  Gate Rubber Co at Mile High?  I'd say Coors, but that is taken...hmmm....Lockhead Martin and Mile High? 

1 hour ago, jsthomp2007 said:

New Belgium Brewery at Mile High sounds awfully nice.  Gate Rubber Co at Mile High?  I'd say Coors, but that is taken...hmmm....Lockhead Martin and Mile High? 

Don't know if New Belgium has the $25-$30 million Ellis is reportedly asking for. Plus, they already pay a pretty penny for exclusive rights to all the taps at CSU's Canvas Stadium and the New Belgium Porch on the facility's north end. 

Archived