When VJ gets fired

jsthomp2007

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

The bigger story here is the Elway/Ellis dynamic. 

So, you got me interested. That is quite a dynamic. Do you have any info on the trust and Ellis role in that?

From what I've read we're stuck with Ellis making football decisions for another 4 years. Brittany seems to be the front runner and I'm curious what her relationship is like with Elway.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7119833-afternoon-drive-les-shapiro-reports-on-the-mike-shanahan-joe-ellis-john-elway-triangle

Link to Les Shapiro's report on the Shanahan/Elway/Ellis dynamics. Les kind of sidesteps some of the Elway/Shanahan issues but considering those two have made amends in the past year, it isn't really relevant information. For those who don't know, Les is good friends with Mike Shanahan and you can bet almost anything he knows is coming from Mike himself. 

11 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I get the dysfunction at the top of the organization.  But, this team in my mind was 3 poorly coached games away from the playoffs  Texans, Niners, Browns. 

They win those 3 like they should of and are 9 and 5 sitting pretty. 

On the flip side we were gifted the OAK / LAC / PIT wins.   We had our share of breaks.   None of which changes how bad VJ has been as HC though.   Being 6-8 unfortunate but overall we’ve played like a .500 team.   We just have no hope of legitimate contention with VJ as HC and Keenum as QB.    

Another year of building the roster will do wonders long term to be real contenders with staying power.  But ultimately a new HC will be needed so we can win close games.  I don’t think anyone disagrees at all there.  

35 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

On the flip side we were gifted the OAK / LAC / PIT wins.   We had our share of breaks.   None of which changes how bad VJ has been as HC though.   Being 6-8 unfortunate but overall we’ve played like a .500 team.   We just have no hope of legitimate contention with VJ as HC and Keenum as QB.    

Another year of building the roster will do wonders long term to be real contenders with staying power.  But ultimately a new HC will be needed so we can win close games.  I don’t think anyone disagrees at all there.  

Oh I completely agree, I'm not advocating for VJ or Keenum trust me. But at the same time I don't see us as the browns from 1999 to 2017 either. We're somewhere in between right now.

I also don't think this team Is as bad as the 2010 Broncos when Mcdaniels got fired. People listed VJ as a worse coaching hire than Mcdaniels. That's ludicrous.  I get it Back to back losing seasons make fans get emotional first time thats happenedin forever.  But McDaniels screwed up this team and organization so much more than VJ. Now If VJ was making personnel moves he'd have an argument being worse then McDaniels. 

I could actually get behind a Shanahan / Kubiak combo - I think people would be surprised what they could do with the young talent on the offence.

Shanny is 66 years old. He wouldnt be here more than 2-3 seasons at best. That could make sense if this team had Super Bowl talent, or if one of those few seasons he wasnt handicapped with Case Keenum at QB, but that isnt this team. Shanny might be a nice 'go all in' hire for a team contending. We are not that team.

We need a long term answer at HC just like we need a long term answer at QB. Its like saying 'Phil Jackson could really do some damage if he coached this Bulls team'. No, he couldnt. The bulls are young and suck, just like Denver.

20 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Shanny is 66 years old. He wouldnt be here more than 2-3 seasons at best. That could make sense if this team had Super Bowl talent, or if one of those few seasons he wasnt handicapped with Case Keenum at QB, but that isnt this team. Shanny might be a nice 'go all in' hire for a team contending. We are not that team.

We need a long term answer at HC just like we need a long term answer at QB. Its like saying 'Phil Jackson could really do some damage if he coached this Bulls team'. No, he couldnt. The bulls are young and suck, just like Denver.

Suck is probably too strong.  Our QB and HC suck.  Our roster depth sucks.  The core is actually our best reason reason for hope.  We certainly aren’t legit contenders.  Just stuck in mediocrity until we get a long term QB and HC upgrade.

But yeah Shanny is the wrong fit for what we need now.   If he came with our QB solution at a discount, maybe.   It’s why passing on Kyle hurts so much.   That was the epitome of a long term solution and we passed on it for a so called leader of men who couldn’t lead his way out of a box.   Oh well. 

Shanahan is a year younger that Pete Carroll, the same age as Bill Belichick, and just six years older than Andy Reid. Marv Levy coached until he was 72.

The average lifespan of an NFL head coach is just over four seasons.  21 of the current HCs have been in the job for less than 3 years. According to the report Shanahan was being offered a three year contract.

As has been mentioned, the biggest mark against Shanahan was his decisions as GM - he wouldn't be making any of those decisions As a coach (particularly with Kubiak) was one of the significantly better coaches. 

Irrespective of who is coach next year we are, in all likelihood, will have Keenum as QB - and there is nobody other than Kubiak that I would want calling plays for Keenum. Shanahan and Kubiak can get the offence working, and if Elway has another good draft and maybe even picks up a QB, Shanahan and Kubiak could lay the groundwork for the development of a roster over the next 2/3 years.

1 hour ago, jolly red giant said:

Shanahan is a year younger that Pete Carroll, the same age as Bill Belichick, and just six years older than Andy Reid. Marv Levy coached until he was 72.

The average lifespan of an NFL head coach is just over four seasons.  21 of the current HCs have been in the job for less than 3 years. According to the report Shanahan was being offered a three year contract.

As has been mentioned, the biggest mark against Shanahan was his decisions as GM - he wouldn't be making any of those decisions As a coach (particularly with Kubiak) was one of the significantly better coaches. 

Irrespective of who is coach next year we are, in all likelihood, will have Keenum as QB - and there is nobody other than Kubiak that I would want calling plays for Keenum. Shanahan and Kubiak can get the offence working, and if Elway has another good draft and maybe even picks up a QB, Shanahan and Kubiak could lay the groundwork for the development of a roster over the next 2/3 years.

While I'm not completely on board with the elder Shanahan, I do see the logic if Keenum is the QB for next year trying to get a John Fox type coach.  Coach up the talent we do have, draft well again and just improve the team talent and culture while looking for the QBOTF

1 hour ago, jolly red giant said:

Parcells and Kubiak. 

I've not been too impressed with Woods either.

On 12/17/2018 at 11:50 PM, AnAngryAmerican said:

I wonder why Elway went so public with his support of Ellis a few months ago when Beth Bowlen Wallace stated she wanted to take control of the team? Circle the wagons I guess.

Truth be told, if it ends up an Ellis-Elway battle, I think Elway wins as he is far more likely to get the backing of both factions of the Bowlen family than is Ellis. Especially coupled with today's news, the stories from the WSJ and NYT from last week, it really appears that Joe Ellis is a piece of crap of human being. Knowing that, and not just that he's incompetent, makes the decisions to hire Mac and retain Matt Russell make all the more sense. 

Let us be honest, Elway is a great politician...we knew this day 1 when he threatened to play baseball over football way back in 1983.

Archived