When VJ gets fired

jsthomp2007

Haha.  Here is what sucks if Joseph is fired (which he will be) there doesn’t appear to be any names that should get anyone excited.  There really isn’t a hot coordinator at this point.  None of the defensive guys are popping and the few offensive minds aren’t even really coordinators as they don’t call plays on game days and are essentially position coaches with a more prestigious title.

The veteran coaches also seem to be staying in place based on recent reports.

Unless Denver’s able to pull a college coach (they’d all be stupid to leave their positions) or get Mike Shanahan (another boneheaded move IMO) there isn’t greener pastures here.

7 hours ago, germ-x said:

Haha.  Here is what sucks if Joseph is fired (which he will be) there doesn’t appear to be any names that should get anyone excited.  There really isn’t a hot coordinator at this point.  None of the defensive guys are popping and the few offensive minds aren’t even really coordinators as they don’t call plays on game days and are essentially position coaches with a more prestigious title.

Unless Denver’s able to pull a college coach (they’d all be stupid to leave their positions) or get Mike Shanahan (another boneheaded move IMO) there isn’t greener pastures here.

Doug Pederson was considered the least qualified candidate by Mike Lombardi. And was the last ranked coaching candidate of that coaching cropped by every major website.  

The hot coach is such a flawed fallacy they're out there. Trust me.

5 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Doug Pederson was considered the least qualified candidate by Mike Lombardi. And was the last ranked coaching candidate of that coaching cropped by every major website.  

The hot coach is such a flawed fallacy they're out there. Trust me.

It’s not really a fallacy, it’s how the NFL HC search goes.  We all know the names of guys who will be considered for HC gigs.  From those names there aren’t any that really get me excited or is a guy I’d be banging the table for.  

Not saying there isn’t a great coach in there, but all come with very real concerns.  Whether it be minimal experience as a coordinator or not calling plays on gamedays.

Because of Elway's influence both in terms of dealing with the media/fans, and also the fact he runs all the personnel department, the whole "CEO"/leader of men factor is a bit overrated here and for the first time since the McDaniels hiring, I think we should look at a hot co-ordinator. In particular I'd like to look at some kind of QB guru, given the success of your Matt Nagy's and your Sean McVay's and your Doug Pederson's in the last few years. My preferences are:

Pete Carmichael Jr: Big part of the reason why Drew Brees has had a late career resurgence. Works well with an offense which features both passing and running games. Long pedigree in the NFL and deserves his head coaching shot.

Matt LaFleur: Maybe a year early but this could be a case where you want to grab him before someone else does. Was the right hand man to Sean McVay last year and has done well as the playcaller in Tennessee this time.

Mike McCarthy: Outstayed his welcome in Green Bay but there is no doubt that he's a very well respected offensive mind

Eric Bienemy: The mastermind behind Patrick Mahomes MVP calendar year and good to poach someone off a division rival

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

Because of Elway's influence both in terms of dealing with the media/fans, and also the fact he runs all the personnel department, the whole "CEO"/leader of men factor is a bit overrated here and for the first time since the McDaniels hiring, I think we should look at a hot co-ordinator. In particular I'd like to look at some kind of QB guru, given the success of your Matt Nagy's and your Sean McVay's and your Doug Pederson's in the last few years. My preferences are:

Pete Carmichael Jr: Big part of the reason why Drew Brees has had a late career resurgence. Works well with an offense which features both passing and running games. Long pedigree in the NFL and deserves his head coaching shot.

Matt LaFleur: Maybe a year early but this could be a case where you want to grab him before someone else does. Was the right hand man to Sean McVay last year and has done well as the playcaller in Tennessee this time.

Mike McCarthy: Outstayed his welcome in Green Bay but there is no doubt that he's a very well respected offensive mind

Eric Bienemy: The mastermind behind Patrick Mahomes MVP calendar year and good to poach someone off a division rival

Carmichael and Bienemy are both going to be hot names, but incredibly risky.  Neither has called plays on gamedays even though their title is offensive coordinator.  It’s also hard to know how big of a part they really are to the success of their teams offensively.  Sean Payton and Andy Reid are arguably the brightest offensive minds in the NFL today, who really knows how much say, pull, or decision making these guys have in their current position.  Another obstacle with both of these candidates is if they will want to call plays on gamedays.  IMO that would be a knock against them.  They’ve never been an HC before or called plays before, seems like biting off more than one could chew considering the lack of experience in these areas.

LaFluer has been a name for awhile and has had his 1st shot at calling plays this season in Tennessee.  He hasn’t been great there, granted his starting QB is overrated and often injured.  But overall the Titans are 26th in total offense and score less than 20 points a game on average.  

McCarthy is a good coach, IMO who ended up in a tough spot as his QB basically controlled the team and Rodgers is reportedly very easily offended, so McCarthy was in a tough spot.

15 hours ago, germ-x said:

This should be pretty entertaining @germ-x. Definitely need to keep a sense of humor. 

3 hours ago, germ-x said:

Carmichael and Bienemy are both going to be hot names, but incredibly risky.  Neither has called plays on gamedays even though their title is offensive coordinator.  It’s also hard to know how big of a part they really are to the success of their teams offensively.  Sean Payton and Andy Reid are arguably the brightest offensive minds in the NFL today, who really knows how much say, pull, or decision making these guys have in their current position.  Another obstacle with both of these candidates is if they will want to call plays on gamedays.  IMO that would be a knock against them.  They’ve never been an HC before or called plays before, seems like biting off more than one could chew considering the lack of experience in these areas.

LaFluer has been a name for awhile and has had his 1st shot at calling plays this season in Tennessee.  He hasn’t been great there, granted his starting QB is overrated and often injured.  But overall the Titans are 26th in total offense and score less than 20 points a game on average.  

McCarthy is a good coach, IMO who ended up in a tough spot as his QB basically controlled the team and Rodgers is reportedly very easily offended, so McCarthy was in a tough spot.

McCarthy would be like hiring John Fox.  He would get the Broncos back to some level of respectability, and might thrive if Elway can do some fancy FA signings, or the young guys continue to progress.  The best HC candidate is DeMarcus Ware, and I don't even think it is close. 

15 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Isn't he working for the Bronco's in some capacity?

I think he works with the LBs in the off season. But, all I'm saying about him is that if Elway is looking for that leader among men, who would be better than Ware? Look how he turned Von around. Plus, he is smart...he knows what to do during a game. Give him some quality assistance and he can't be worse than Radio...you know players would work there a$$ of for Ware...there is no question about that. 

5 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I think he works with the LBs in the off season. But, all I'm saying about him is that if Elway is looking for that leader among men, who would be better than Ware? Look how he turned Von around. Plus, he is smart...he knows what to do during a game. Give him some quality assistance and he can't be worse than Radio...you know players would work there a$$ of for Ware...there is no question about that. 

It's worth giving some thought to. Interesting idea.

A name that isn’t getting talked about,  but will soon is New Orleans TEs coach Dan Campbell.  He has HC experience in the interim with the Dolphins in 2015 and went 5-7.  While the TEs coach he also serves as the Saints Assistant HC.

Aside from being a coordinator, he checks a lot of boxes.  Has experience managing an entire team, even if it is 12 games.  Former player that understands what guys are going through, also is well respected by his players.  Has experience under multiple HCs (Tony Sparano, Joe Philbin, Sean Payton) all of whom have different approaches to the game.  

Campbell is probably my favorite candidate right now.

Archived