When VJ gets fired

jsthomp2007

9 hours ago, germ-x said:

Obviously who knows.  There will be some solid names out there.

Honestly, why not Pete Carmichael Jr if he doesn’t get an HC gig?  He’d need to swallow some pride, but if he continues not getting HC interviews or an HC job the biggest reason would be because he doesn’t call plays and his actual ability as an OC is in question under Sean Payton.   Campbell could make him his OC and give him an assistant HC title to pry him from New Orleans.

Mike Nolan is the New Orleans LB coach.  He’d make sense as a guy Campbell could bring as a DC as well if Nolan wanted another opportunity in that role.

If that’s the case why not just get Carmichael in as the HC and Campbell as OC?

We need a playcaller HC, not another “CEO”

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

Why?  We need whoever is going to be the best HC, who cares if they call plays.

6 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I think a CEO-type HC is exactly what we need. As I've said several times, this franchise needs an adult in the room just like we did in 2010/11 when we hired John Fox. 

You say "another" and I guess Vance could be viewed that way since he doesn't call plays but, come on, I don't think Vance has any control over his staff, Sullivan and Woods left the reservation a long time ago and both are entirely inept at coordinating their units. 

If we wanted a HC/OC/play-caller/de facto GM, we should have hired Kyle Shanahan as that's what he is in San Fran. 

2 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think a CEO-type HC is exactly what we need. As I've said several times, this franchise needs an adult in the room just like we did in 2010/11 when we hired John Fox. 

You say "another" and I guess Vance could be viewed that way since he doesn't call plays but, come on, I don't think Vance has any control over his staff, Sullivan and Woods left the reservation a long time ago and both are entirely inept at coordinating their units. 

If we wanted a HC/OC/play-caller/de facto GM, we should have hired Kyle Shanahan as that's what he is in San Fran. 

Yep, or going with McCarthy who has experience doing both.

I get some of these younger guys are having success coming in and not only being the HC, but calling plays on gamedays as well.  However, Matt Nagy is the only one of that group that didn’t call plays as a coordinator and while the Bears are getting a lot of love that offense isn’t good, yet.  They may take a big leap next year.

The candidates this year who are getting hyped to do this are Carmichael and Bienemy.  Neither have been HCs or called plays on gamedays.  Seems like it could be a huge disaster having them do both right out of the gate.

8 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Yep, or going with McCarthy who has experience doing both.

I get some of these younger guys are having success coming in and not only being the HC, but calling plays on gamedays as well.  However, Matt Nagy is the only one of that group that didn’t call plays as a coordinator and while the Bears are getting a lot of love that offense isn’t good, yet.  They may take a big leap next year.

The candidates this year who are getting hyped to do this are Carmichael and Bienemy.  Neither have been HCs or called plays on gamedays.  Seems like it could be a huge disaster having them do both right out of the gate.

To me the most apt comparison to the two you mention is when Miami hired Joe Philbin. The Packers were fresh off a Super Bowl and he was the current "hot coordinator" flavor of the month. Yet, just like Carmichael and Bienemy, he didn't call plays and benefited from having a strong organizational structure, an excellent (at the time) head coach and an all-time great QB. Philbin wasn't a total disaster in Miami, a la Vance or Mac, but he was at best a middling HC who finished 24-28 and was fired in the middle of his fourth season. 

I just want Denver to hire someone competent and not go in with preconceived notions. It's interesting to wonder where we'd be if Dave Toub was coach instead of Joseph. Frankly I think Toub impressed Elway quite a bit because he got a second interview which seemed unlikely at the time.

7 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I just want Denver to hire someone competent and not go in with preconceived notions. It's interesting to wonder where we'd be if Dave Toub was coach instead of Joseph. Frankly I think Toub impressed Elway quite a bit because he got a second interview which seemed unlikely at the time.

Yeah, at this point I'm okay with competent and not sure I want to go for the home run.

Like...I think what McCarthy did with Aaron Rodgers was a complete joke...but he'd be competent with the basic duties as a head coach and I wouldn't be upset. I certainly wouldn't be excited either. 

Re: McCarthy his 2 biggest strengths were in QB development and in pre-game weekly planning for the O.   Sadly I think that would be lost with Keenum lol.   He'd be a good bridge guy to get our O improvements and our QBOTF in good hands.   He'd be a terrible choice to help us get over the top as a contender to title-land.   Think of him as an O version of John Fox (pre-CHI version, the game passed him by then).     He wouldn't last once we were actual contenders (or at least I hope Elway would see that by then lol).

As actual HC's who influence actual game outcomes, McCarthy & Jason Garrett are probably 2 guys literally living off name recognition.  They're actually pretty weak IMO at the HC-responsible stuff on gameday (Garrett is literally one of the worst of all time, this NFCE crown is actually a Pyrrhic victory IMO for them, he's bought himself 2019-21 now with them - I think he's up to 21 games lost with leads at halftime.   Wow).   But as much hope as we have in our youth, we just need to rebuild the foundation of our team - another good draft (can't bank on the returns from 2018 to repeat themselves, good is fine lol), and establishing an O foundation that actually works would be key steps...so whenever we find a decent QB, the rest is there for the team to continue contending.    McCarthy could certainly help with QB and the O scheme's successful development.

So in that respect, while my initial reaction to Mike McCarthy was a huge no thx, given what we need for the next 2-3 years, it won't excite me, but I'd see some much-needed positives come out of it (provided we actually find a legit QBOTF he could help develop in his time here, and the realization much like Fox he'd be serving as the necessary veteran bridge HC and not the missing piece).

TBH the bigger issue with MM is that I suspect he'll go where there's already a QBOTF in place.   Basically pick which QBOTF and O he overhauls.   I don't think Keenum & our team's roster will entice a guy like MM with us as plan A, even with the idea of going rookie QB Rd1 (which is a scary prop given who's likely there right now).

You guys know far more about the available coaches than I so I’ll just listen for a while. That said, in our search for a HC, DC and OC it’d be nice if we don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater. I think we’ve got a few great position coaches that I’d hope we can retain.

On defense I’d definitely like to see us retain Bill Kollar and his assistant. I’m really becoming a fan of his. He seems great at bringing out and developing talent.  Gotsis and Harris are great examples.  He also spent a lot of time this year with the OLB’s so much of Chubbs development can be laid on his lap. Despite spending only 75% of league average on the DL he’s produced a very good, well coached NFL product out of a rag-tag assembly of talent. I like him.

As far as the LB coaches and DB coaches I don’t really see anything special there. I think they’re easily replaceable. Our LB’s and DB’s as groups are among the highest paid (2nd and 7th respectively)in the league but their performance doesn’t indicate that to me.

On offense the Kugler / Strausser experiment on the OL seems to be paying off.  Bolles has come along quite nicely as have the other kids on that unit. Despite being the 25th highest paid OL in the NFL we’ve got a very respectable group there with once again, a rag-tag talent group and our two best O Linemen out for the year.  Keep both coaches if at all possible!

Basically the entire offensive position staff did fairly well in talent development (outside of QB)with rookies and cheap FA’s filling the roster at WR and RB. I’m inclined to put Chryst in with that group but with all the injuries at TE it’s a bit hard to judge.

I think I’d be reluctant to let our strength/conditioning staff go also. They probably had a lot to do with our game day second half performances.

Basically, replace the tip of the spear, HC, OC and DC. I’ve seen nothing from any of them to warrant keeping them.  Outside of LB’s and DB’s retain as many of the position coaches as possible.

Team success in the FA era requires good performance rapidly from young players. Great position coaches go a long way towards accomplishing that.

34 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Assuming the Broncos can't afford to pry Chris Peterson or Lincoln Riley out of college, and also won't spend big on coordinators to surround Dave Toub, Matt LaFleur is my guy. A ton of time coaching with the Shanahans and Sean McVay is real tough to ignore. 

Wow, welcome back.

2 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Assuming the Broncos can't afford to pry Chris Peterson or Lincoln Riley out of college, and also won't spend big on coordinators to surround Dave Toub, Matt LaFleur is my guy. A ton of time coaching with the Shanahans and Sean McVay is real tough to ignore. 

LaFleur has risen up my list quite a bit the more I've looked into potential candidates. 

Archived