When VJ gets fired

jsthomp2007

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

It would be so Mike Tannenbaum to give a high draft pick for Harbaugh - he certainly doesn't fall into the "GM with a clue" category lol.    I think the most likely scenario is Harbaugh staying in BAL.   That's certainly a team that's surging.    We would be nuts to get into any bidding war, any team wants a coach that badly, don't get in their way. 

I’m not sure that’s a decision Tennenbaum would be able to make without Ross’ approval. From what I understand Ross is still a believer in Adam Gase, why I don’t know, but he reportedly is. 

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

He took the trouble to go scout him in person.  There are literally only 2-3 guys he goes to that trouble for each year.   It shows his natural tendency of what he looks for - Lock fits his history to a T.    No one is saying he's going to pick Lock right now.   But Lock was literally 1 of the only 2 guys he wanted to see in person.   If that doesn't show his natural preferences and what he's looking for....well,  I think you're reading way more into that statement.   

I don’t think there’s any question that Lock is Elway’s type. But your logic jump of ‘he’s the only guy Elway watched, therefore he’s Elway’s target’ is clearly off the mark. 

12 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I don’t think there’s any question that Lock is Elway’s type. But your logic jump of ‘he’s the only guy Elway watched, therefore he’s Elway’s target’ is clearly off the mark. 

Dude - read the post again - top target in pre-draft evaluation.  He only went to see 2 guys.   He only wanted to see those 2 guys early on - that’s the predraft evaluation.   Like I said before it’s public knowledge not a statement of who he’s going to pick. 

Honestly you are reading way more into that statement.   Elway only had 2 guys he wanted to see in person early.   Who fit his mold.  Jeez. 

One name that some of us here have talked about, in a positive light,  as a HC candidate is Matt LaFleur.

I was thinking about this today. Given his ties to Kubiak and both Shanahans, we should know early in the process what his chances are. If we request an interview with him, his odds to get the job have to be pretty solid but if we choose not to interview him, there are probably a few red flags. Also, I heard on Mile High Sports that the Ravens reportedly want two first round picks and maybe more for John Harbaugh. 

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

One name that some of us here have talked about, in a positive light,  as a HC candidate is Matt LaFleur.

I was thinking about this today. Given his ties to Kubiak and both Shanahans, we should know early in the process what his chances are. If we request an interview with him, his odds to get the job have to be pretty solid but if we choose not to interview him, there are probably a few red flags. Also, I heard on Mile High Sports that the Ravens reportedly want two first round picks and maybe more for John Harbaugh. 

Good news is the Titans have been eliminated to is LaFleur is a potential suitor then we should be able to bring him in for an interview later this week. 

IMO it would be madness to spend anything like that kind of draft capital to get Harbaugh. If the Broncos were willing to give up two first rounders plus - then they should have done that last year to swap with the Gisnts and taken Darnold. 

I will say this again - we need to steady the ship - a 2/3 year period of solid drafts and rebuilding the roster - and the best options for that at the moment are a Shanahan / Kubiak combo. That would get us back into the play-offs and solve some of the cash flow problems (assuming Ellis is remotely competent). Harbaugh won't stay in Baltimore forever (and definitely not Miami if they trade for him)  - and by then the Broncis may be able to get him - or some other candidate who can get the job done.

1 hour ago, jolly red giant said:

IMO it would be madness to spend anything like that kind of draft capital to get Harbaugh. If the Broncos were willing to give up two first rounders plus - then they should have done that last year to swap with the Gisnts and taken Darnold. 

I will say this again - we need to steady the ship - a 2/3 year period of solid drafts and rebuilding the roster - and the best options for that at the moment are a Shanahan / Kubiak combo. That would get us back into the play-offs and solve some of the cash flow problems (assuming Ellis is remotely competent). Harbaugh won't stay in Baltimore forever (and definitely not Miami if they trade for him)  - and by then the Broncis may be able to get him - or some other candidate who can get the job done.

I think thete is something to be said about Shanahan and Kubiak at least understand the culture and the ownership structure, and maybe out of respect for Bowlen they work without those distributions.

19 minutes ago, germ-x said:

So we have Denver, Miami, Tampa Bay, Arizona, New York Jets, Cleveland, Green Bay, Cincinnati all looking for new HCs.  

Arizona, NYJ, Cleveland, Cini and Green Bay are all set at QB. Which puts us in the bin with Miami & TB as teams with no QB / no HC. *Pending resolutions with Tannenhill / Winston*

8 minutes ago, Royal_VT said:

Arizona, NYJ, Cleveland, Cini and Green Bay are all set at QB. Which puts us in the bin with Miami & TB as teams with no QB / no HC. *Pending resolutions with Tannenhill / Winston*

Also no owner. We're in a tough spot, but maybe Elway can work his magic. 

10 minutes ago, Royal_VT said:

TAM already said they are renewing the Winston option this weekend - barring some crazy off the field event between now and March I think we can safely cross them off the list.  

It’s no coincidence teams with 5th year option guys are sitting tight for 2019 - either they extend them later or gear up for 2020.   

With all the front office turmoil and no qb, you'd have to be crazy to want to come coach this team. And since Ellis isn't going to allow Shanahan to return, we're gonna have to roll the dice yet again on some unproven young coordinator. I hope this isn't the beginning of one of those cycles in purgatory you see teams like the Lions get trapped in. 

24 minutes ago, germ-x said:

So we have Denver, Miami, Tampa Bay, Arizona, New York Jets, Cleveland, Green Bay, Cincinnati all looking for new HCs.  

And that’s almost certainly your lot. Only other opening I think has an outside chance is Garrett in Dallas if they’re one and done but I would be surprised if he is fired.

Archived