When VJ gets fired

jsthomp2007

On 12/31/2018 at 8:45 AM, paul-mac said:

And that’s almost certainly your lot. Only other opening I think has an outside chance is Garrett in Dallas if they’re one and done but I would be surprised if he is fired.

Jason Garrett has his shortcomings but that's a young team with a staff that is pretty well-regarded top to bottom. I think Jerry gives Garrett at least another year unless he can find a way to pry RIley loose from OU, which doesn't appear likely this year as Riley just signed an extension. 

11 minutes ago, BaldyBronco said:

So what do we think about Zac Taylor?  He passes the charisma test and I would be very happy with him.

Zac Taylor HC

Kubs OC

Joe Woods DC

Thoughts?

Joe Woods as DC would make me throw up in my mouth. He's going to follow Vance to Cincy anyway and we'd be foolish not to let him. Good riddance. 

Taylor has some things going for him but I'd be really nervous hiring someone so young who's only called plays for one year, in college, at Cincinnati in 2016. Given how much Elway talked about the need for experience I would wager that Taylor would have to really blow him away in the interview to be given serious consideration. 

1 minute ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Joe Woods as DC would make me throw up in my mouth. He's going to follow Vance to Cincy anyway and we'd be foolish not to let him. Good riddance. 

Taylor has some things going for him but I'd be really nervous hiring someone so young who's only called plays for one year, in college, at Cincinnati in 2016. Given how much Elway talked about the need for experience I would wager that Taylor would have to really blow him away in the interview to be given serious consideration. 

As much as I don't disagree that Joe is a question mark.  The defense did play well relative to the offensive woes and the personnel losses.  When we talk about experience, Surrounding a young kid with what may be the It factor with two experienced, and more so, guys with history and familiarity with the players might be a good fit. 

I want a coach who has the ability and the I.Q. to be with us for a long period of time if he is in fact that guy.  Invest in a young guy.

Do you have a target got SC AAA?

On 12/31/2018 at 8:44 AM, 1234567 said:

With all the front office turmoil and no qb, you'd have to be crazy to want to come coach this team. And since Ellis isn't going to allow Shanahan to return, we're gonna have to roll the dice yet again on some unproven young coordinator. I hope this isn't the beginning of one of those cycles in purgatory you see teams like the Lions get trapped in. 

To me, the concern about ending up in purgatory has more to do with Case than with whomever we hire as HC. I said it last year, and I believe @Broncofan did as well, that Case, coupled with the rest of the talent on the current roster, is enough to keep us out of the top-five but not anywhere close to enough to make us serious contenders. Last spring, I said, if Vance improves, if we stay almost entirely healthy, if we get a few breaks in a few games, we can post a 9-7 or so record and maybe sneak into the playoffs. None of that happened but we were good enough that we kept ourselves out of the top five. 

Secondly, I don't think we're going to roll the dice on some unproven "hot coordinator" type. Aside from Rooney Rule candidate Brian Flores and wunderkind Zac Taylor, so they can say to the fan base, "hey we tried to find the next Sean McVay this time," our candidates are all long-experienced and all but Fangio have prior HC experience. As I've been saying, they know they can't afford to screw this up so they're going to go the John Fox-route - competent if unspectacular, safe and conservative. Given the dire straights the franchise is in with the ownership debacle they can't afford to blow it all up take the lumps with a 3-13 season as a rookie QB and young coach learn on the job, they have to return to respectability. 

It's going to Chuck Pagano as HC, Gary Kubiak as OC and John Pagano as DC - or some familiar, equally-experienced triumvirate like that. 

10 minutes ago, BaldyBronco said:

Do you have a target got SC AAA?

???

If you're asking what I would do if I were in Elway's shoes, I'd swing for the fences. I would see what Baltimore wants for John Harbaugh and seriously consider it. I would reach out to David Shaw at Stanford, offering him almost whatever he wants to leave Palo Alto. I'd certainly bring Mike McCarthy in for an interview even though I think he's going somewhere with a young, highly-drafted QB (NYJ, Cleveland or Arizona). I would also want to talk to Matt LaFleur as he checks an awful lot of the boxes on paper. 

I'm not wildly excited about the five we're bringing in, the only one on whom I am an absolute no is Flores (no f***ing way to the f***ing Patriot Way). I think Pagano paired with Kubiak would be the best lot of who we're talking to. I also could get on board with Pagano as HC and Zac Taylor as an empowered OC but the handwriting is on the wall that Kubiak is going to be the OC so that's probably not a realistic option. 

1 minute ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

???

If you're asking what I would do if I were in Elway's shoes, I'd swing for the fences. I would see what Baltimore wants for John Harbaugh and seriously consider it. I would reach out to David Shaw at Stanford, offering him almost whatever he wants to leave Palo Alto. I'd certainly bring Mike McCarthy in for an interview even though I think he's going somewhere with a young, highly-drafted QB (NYJ, Cleveland or Arizona). I would also want to talk to Matt LaFleur as he checks an awful lot of the boxes on paper. 

I'm not wildly excited about the five we're bringing in, the only one on whom I am an absolute no is Flores (no f***ing way to the f***ing Patriot Way). I think Pagano paired with Kubiak would be the best lot of who we're talking to. I also could get on board with Pagano as HC and Zac Taylor as an empowered OC but the handwriting is on the wall that Kubiak is going to be the OC so that's probably not a realistic option. 

Sorry, I did not mean to send that.

My past post on my targets included most of these guys.  I am a big Lincoln Reily fan, but his name is going nowhere.  If we assume the Broncos draft Lock, Grier, or Jones, we need a coach who relates to him and can groom him.  Zac absolutely fills that roll IMO.

I really think Elway is afraid of taking a risk on a coach who could be the next great thing, and frankly why he has created so much turnover.  Retreads or assistants with NFL experience pisses me off so much. 

The three guys I am super bummed we are not talking to are Riley, Shaw and Chris Petersen.

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

???

2 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

Yay nepotism!!

I would hire my sister if she could manage games better than VJ.  LOL. 

I don't think it's a problem as long as it's a fit.

Some of these coaches have assistants that might as well be family, given the amount of time they spend together.

14 minutes ago, BaldyBronco said:

Along with Munchak and Pagano, I could definitely get on board with Zac Taylor. He's very green but having someone with Kubiak's experience as his right-hand man would make me more comfortable. We would have to find a good, proven DC because that side of the ball is our meal ticket. 

2 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

Yay nepotism!!

The gift that keeps on giving. If you can't give Kubiak a role, just keep promoting his kid! On what planet does Klint Kubiak "deserve" a promotion to be QB coach when this team is going through a critical crossroads in finding (yet another) QB?

Archived