1st Quarter Mock 2019

Madmike90

Retain all the staff that we can…I think that as a collective this group have done a great job both schematically and in teaching and developing our players.

Resign…

RB…Benny Cunningham

FB…Michael Burton

WR…Kevin White

WR…Josh Bellamy

OG…Eric Kush

OLB…Aaron Lynch

CB…Bryce Callahan

CB…Adrian Amos

P…Pat O'Donnell

LS…Patrick Scales

Cunningham is the perfect #3 back in the NFL because he does everything well as a back and is an excellent special teamer…Burton is a solid FB for when we need one…White I still feel is worth keeping around…he is still a big strong and physically talented WR and although he will never be what we wanted him to be if it’s kept simple for him he could still have his uses…Bellamy would survive a nuclear blast at Halas Hall…I don’t know what his job is in the locker room but it must be one of the most important…I expect him to continue to back up the slot and play teams…Kush is a solid interior player who can step up at two different spots…Lynch might jump somewhere for bigger money but if he is smart he will want to stay with Fangio who clearly understands how to get the best out of him…Callahan has been really good in the slot this year but I still feel there is a ceiling for what slots make on the open market and we should be able to bring him back…Amos doesn’t have elite playmaking ability which will diminish his market but he is a very solid run player with excellent range…I think we can retain him by cutting some guys with bigger numbers…O’Donnell and Scales are both solid on teams and continuity is never a bad thing.

RFA

TE…Ben Braunecker

OT…Rashaad Coward

DE…Roy Robertson-Harris

OLB…Isaiah Irving

S…DeAndre Houston-Carson

I would retain every one of these guys.

Let Walk…

OG…Bryan Witzmann

OT…Bobby Massie

DE…Nick Williams

CB…Marcus Cooper

Witzman probably won’t make the end of the season…Massie is over priced and unless we could bring him back for about half of what he is making now we move on…Williams is just a body…Cooper has been passed by guys currently on the roster let alone who else we bring in.

Release…

TE…Dion Sims

OT…Bradley Sowell

ILB…Danny Trevathan

OLB…Sam Acho

Sims is as obvious a cut as Glennon last season…Sowell can be upgraded and potentially already has by Coward…Trevathan is the tough cut for me…with Smith growing by the game I just can’t justify paying an ILB $6 million when he will soon be a #2 ILB who has an extensive injury history at a plug and play position…Acho is been a sneaky good pickup for us but with his cap figure and some of the young guys we have at the position we move on.

Free Agents…

OT…Jake Fisher…6-6” 305lbs…

If Massie being left to walk we can look for cheaper replacements who fit our scheme…Fisher coming out of Oregon was seen as a somewhat of a stud but it never went right in Cincinnati…whither that be him not working hard enough, the scheme or the coaching it has just never clicked and he has lost his starting job to Bobby Hart…not a ringing endorsement I know but there are a few things going in his favour…still only 25 years old and with a ton of physical tools that a coach like HH can mould…also gets him back into a scheme more reminiscent of the Oregon one under Helfrich that make him look like such a prospect in the first place…he competes for a starting spot at RT and if he misses out he becomes one of the better backup LTs in the NFL…smart move for both.

C…Brain Schwenke…6-3” 318lbs…

Think of this pick up as planning for the future after Kyle Long…I think that with our cap situation in 2020 Long will be gone given that he saves us $8.1 million if we cut him…that kind of figure will make it tough not to move on especially with Whitehair needing to be resigned…if we do move Long I would think Whitehair moves to RG…Daniels could stay at LG meaning a C is going to be needed…Schwenke would fill a gap for a year or so until we draft a longer term replacement…year one he would be a quality backup.

ILB…Deone Bucannon…6-1” 220lbs…

This one is tricky to gauge…Bucannon was a tackling machine for the Cardinals when they played a multiple front defence and I think most felt he would be a star moving to OLB under Steve Wilks in a 4-3 but he has been completely lost in the shuffle and barely started games let alone had an impact on them…getting back into a 3-4 D that is attacking and has so much talent in front of him would kickstart his career…Bucannon and Smith inside would give us the most athletic and best coverage duo in the NFL.

Draft…

Round 3…

OT…Max Scharping…6-6” 320lbs…Northern Illinois…

With how well the defence has been playing and if we can retain Amos we are in an excellent position to pick up a talented tackle in this year’s draft…Scharping has been outstanding for NIU winning All Conference awards at both left and right tackle…he brings excellent size and length for the position and excels in pass protection where he would be a huge benefit to Trubisky…as a run blocker he has the ability to win with both intelligence and brute force as well…could he play LT long term?…potentially…but there is no doubt he would present an upgrade at the RT spot…adding him to a competition of Fisher & Coward would make for an intriguing battle and leave us with an excellent backup LT position.

Round 4…

CB…Amani Oruwariye…6-0” 203lbs…Penn State…

Adding CB talent and depth has to be a priority this offseason…we have some good front line guys and Toliver looks like he could develop into a steal as an UDFA but we need to continue to add talent to a spot which is extremely important in today’s NFL…Oruwariye brings excellent size and length to the position along with physicality when matched up with bigger WRs…his ball skills are impressive along with his body control to pick off errant passes…he could go higher than this if he runs well but his pure speed is the one thing that would let him down as well as the fact he is only a 1 year starter as a RS senior but I feel with more experience he is an excellent fit for Fangio’s scheme.

Round 5…

DL…Kingsley Keke…6-4” 305lbs…Texas A&M…

I feel like we have stole a quality rotational DL in the 5th round of this draft in Nichols and we should try and do the same again this year…we have seen just how important pass rush is to our team and adding to that is never a bad thing…Keke is very much so in the same vain as Nichols in terms of being a height/weight/speed guy who with proper coaching could develop along the same route.

Round 7…

CB…Jordan Wyatt…6-0” 193lbs…SMU…

This far down the board your just looking for BPA at a position where you are going to carry a lot of bodies…CB will always be a need and Wyatt brings a similar skill set to the type of CBs Fangio seems to like…good size/speed and ball skills…could bring something on teams as well.

Depth Chart…

QB…Mitch Trubisky…Chase Dainels                        

RB…Jordan Howard…Tarik Cohen…Benny Cummingham

FB…Michael Burton                                                        

WR…Allen Robinson…Kevin White                          

WR…Taylor Gabriel…Javon Wims                            

WR…Anthony Miller…Josh Bellamy                         

TE…Trey Burton…Adam Shaheen…Ben Braunecker

LT…Charles Leno…Jake Fisher                   

LG…James Daniels…Eric Kush                     

C…Cody Whitehair…Brian Schwenke                      

RG…Kyle Long                                                 

RT…Max Scharping…Rashaad Coward                                   

LE…Akiem Hicks…Bilal Nichols                    

NT…Eddie Goldman…Kingsley Keke                        

RE…Roy Robertson-Harris…Jonathan Bullard                      

LOLB…Khalil Mack…Kylie Fitts                    

ILB…Roquan Smith…Nick Kwiatkoski                       

ILB…Deone Bucannon…Joel Iyiegbuniwe                             

ROLB…Leonard Floyd…Aaron Lynch…Isaiah Irving

NB…Bryce Callahan…Sherrick McManis                

CB…Kyle Fuller…Amani Oruwariye…Jordan Wyatt

CB…Prince Amukamara …Kevin Toliver                  

SS…Adrian Amos…Deon Bush                    

FS…Eddie Jackson…Deandre Houston-Carson                    

P…Pat O'Donnell

K…Cody Parkey

LS…Patrick Scales

27 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

The Bears still haven’t proven to have an organized defense while Trevathan has been out. I wouldn’t cut him until there is a better replacement, and I don’t think Bucannon is that replacement. 

I feel by the end of the season Smith will be that leader and signal caller as well as our leading tackler.

40 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

The Bears still haven’t proven to have an organized defense while Trevathan has been out. I wouldn’t cut him until there is a better replacement, and I don’t think Bucannon is that replacement. 

Agree. If Bucannon was that good, he’d be playing a lot more. I think he played 4 snaps vs the Bears in week 3.

12 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I’m surprised how many people devalue Bobby Massie. It’s hard to find a really solid RT in this league.

i would actually like to keep him.

I would like to keep him at around $3 million a year...but more than that we are overpaying for what he is...maybe we pull a Marcus Copper but I struggle to see it.

If Buchannon could return to form that could be a dynamic pairing. My concern is size. This week we got LBers swallowed up with too much regularity. 

I like it overall. 

Quick question - Jordan Morgan isn't on the depth chart, how do you feel about him? I'm hoping he becomes the Kush replacement at OG, and Kush moves to backup C and 3rd string OG (in my head, not on your mock I mean). 

7 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Why on earth would they re-sign Kevin White, but let Bobby Massie go? You know Massie's a starter, right? O.o

White can't really justify more than get min and while Massie has been improved this year I think that was more of an aberration than what his baseline will be  

Massie would be good at $3 mil or so, a solid swing option. But IMO a pretty poor starting option. 

13 hours ago, Sugashane said:

If Buchannon could return to form that could be a dynamic pairing. My concern is size. This week we got LBers swallowed up with too much regularity. 

I like it overall. 

Quick question - Jordan Morgan isn't on the depth chart, how do you feel about him? I'm hoping he becomes the Kush replacement at OG, and Kush moves to backup C and 3rd string OG (in my head, not on your mock I mean). 

Morgan signed with the Titans after being cut.

Archived