Stock Investing

rickyt31

So I'm doing year-end wrap up crap, and one of the things on my to-do list was move my HSA from HSABank to Fidelity since Fidelity has no fees and because I have all my other tax advantaged accounts with them anyway so it's just easier to have almost everything there. So I get the transfer set up, sell everything in my HSA on Monday, and have it all ready to move over today.

And the market goes up 5% in the one goddamn day that my HSA was all cash.

30 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

So I'm doing year-end wrap up crap, and one of the things on my to-do list was move my HSA from HSABank to Fidelity since Fidelity has no fees and because I have all my other tax advantaged accounts with them anyway so it's just easier to have almost everything there. So I get the transfer set up, sell everything in my HSA on Monday, and have it all ready to move over today.

And the market goes up 5% in the one goddamn day that my HSA was all cash.

lol

Just keep it in cash and you wont know the difference...

Might be a dumb question but figure I'll ask anyways:

Will be done paying off my student loans hopefully in the next 6 months. Trying to decide what to do with the monthly payments I'm currently making once that money is freed up.

For context, I am contributing above the max my employer matches currently to my 401(k) with a Vanguard Target Fund. My first thought is opening a RothIRA with Vanguard and using the 3-fund portfolio, but would it make more sense to open a general brokerage account? Or up my 401(k) contribution even more?

Any advice would be much appreciated

16 hours ago, Madridista said:

Will be done paying off my student loans hopefully in the next 6 months. Trying to decide what to do with the monthly payments I'm currently making once that money is freed up.

For context, I am contributing above the max my employer matches currently to my 401(k) with a Vanguard Target Fund. My first thought is opening a RothIRA with Vanguard and using the 3-fund portfolio, but would it make more sense to open a general brokerage account? Or up my 401(k) contribution even more?

Max out a Roth IRA

20 hours ago, Madridista said:

We'd probably need more information. Do you want to buy a house, need to beef up the emergency fund, or have any other short term savings needs? If this is just for retirement, I'd suggest taking your tax bracket now versus what you'd expect in retirement, and if it's higher now, max out a tIRA, if not a rothIRA. If you can do that and still have some left over, then dump that in the 401k.

• Like 1

Any tips for someone who doesn’t have a clue on how to buy/sell stock? 

I’m 31 years old, I dont Make a ton of money, about average for Missouri standards, and my Girlfriend makes a little less than I do. I wouldnt Say we have a ton of debt (around 45-50k). We’re expecting a 2nd kid in June and my 2-year goal is to buy a house. 

I dont have ave a ton of money saved right now and I don’t think I could Comfortably afford anything over $1k. 

Edited by holt_bruce81

29 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I’m 31 years old, I dont Make a ton of money, about average for Missouri standards, and my Girlfriend makes a little less than I do. I wouldnt Say we have a ton of debt (around 45-50k). We’re expecting a 2nd kid in June and my 2-year goal is to buy a house. 

I dont have ave a ton of money saved right now and I don’t think I could Comfortably afford anything over $1k. 

Save more money first, then index funds.

• Like 2

On 12/31/2018 at 11:41 PM, holt_bruce81 said:

Focus your energy on paying off your debts, then dive into the investments.  You'll be able to put more money in, and you'll be on a more secure financial foundation.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, theJ said:
On 12/31/2018 at 10:41 PM, holt_bruce81 said:

Focus your energy on paying off your debts, then dive into the investments.  You'll be able to put more money in, and you'll be on a more secure financial foundation.

Yep, 100% agreed. We'd probably need a little more detail @holt_bruce81, such as what kind of debt. Is it student loans which might be able to be forgiven, or medical bills that might be negotiable? If it's credit card debt or other really high interest debt, then that changes how aggressively you'd want to tackle it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yep, 100% agreed. We'd probably need a little more detail @holt_bruce81, such as what kind of debt. Is it student loans which might be able to be forgiven, or medical bills that might be negotiable? If it's credit card debt or other really high interest debt, then that changes how aggressively you'd want to tackle it.

I would say 80% of it is Student Loans. 

2 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I would say 80% of it is Student Loans. 

That's good. Hopefully the remainder is fairly low interest?

I would start here:

As much as it's reddit and fairly broad, this is a solid place to start thinking about how you want to handle your money. The first thing you would want is to get a detailed plan of what you make, what expenses you have, and how much debt you have (exact amounts and interest rates). That way you've got everything in front of you and can start planning accordingly.

IIRC, you've got surgery coming up and a kid on the way, so priority number 1 needs to be your emergency fund, unless you have any debts that are at like 25% interest. Investing doesn't do you any good if you're adding on debt due to missing work or having some expected or unexpected healthcare expenses come up.

Once we get that emergency fund where you feel comfortable (with 2 young kids, I'd think you would probably want at least 3 months expenses), then you can start crushing debt. Here's a good site to help with that type of planning: https://unbury.me/ Enter in the info, say how you want to tackle things (snowball or avalanche - there's more detail in the reddit post above), and it will start giving you timeframes. I think if the goal is to get you into a house, the snowball method would probably make more sense.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2018 at 11:41 PM, holt_bruce81 said:

Buying index funds before your debt is paid?

Not sure that's the best approach