Stock Investing

rickyt31

18 hours ago, patdt13 said:

1. No

2. Recent college grad looking for work

3. No debts

I think it has to be vanguard 

Either way it'll be Vanguard.  Just trying to figure out if you should put it in a rothIRA or regular brokerage account.  The first grows tax free (retirement account).  The second you'll have to pay taxes on.

If you don't have enough earned income this year to put it in a retirement account, the answer is clear.

As to which fund, i can't answer at the moment because my company has blocked those sites haha.  I'll try to remember to look later.  In general, one of the ETF's that mirrors the S&P 500.  I believe they have some for large, medium and small cap, plus some whole market ones.  I'd either go large cap or whole market.

20 hours ago, ninerfanwheelz said:

I will have my car paid off in a year or so...if I am already putting the max % that my company will match to my 401k, should I use the money I'm currently putting towards my car to increase my contribution to my 401k or open a Roth IRA? I'm guessing the latter but can't hurt to ask.

Unless your company offers a roth401k and has a good selection of funds, go with the rothIRA.

7 minutes ago, theJ said:

Either way it'll be Vanguard.  Just trying to figure out if you should put it in a rothIRA or regular brokerage account.  The first grows tax free (retirement account).  The second you'll have to pay taxes on.

If you don't have enough earned income this year to put it in a retirement account, the answer is clear.

As to which fund, i can't answer at the moment because my company has blocked those sites haha.  I'll try to remember to look later.  In general, one of the ETF's that mirrors the S&P 500.  I believe they have some for large, medium and small cap, plus some whole market ones.  I'd either go large cap or whole market.

VTSMX is total US market fund, VGTSX is the total international, and VBMFX is the total bond fund.

14 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

VTSMX is total US market fund, VGTSX is the total international, and VBMFX is the total bond fund.

@patdt13

So i'd probably go with the VTSMX (total US market fund).  You don't need to go heavy into bonds.  Having an international account is good to diversify, but with the amount of money you have, it doesn't make much sense.  When you get a little bit more put away, putting some in the international fund makes sense.

5 hours ago, theJ said:

@patdt13

So i'd probably go with the VTSMX (total US market fund).  You don't need to go heavy into bonds.  Having an international account is good to diversify, but with the amount of money you have, it doesn't make much sense.  When you get a little bit more put away, putting some in the international fund makes sense.

Just looked, right now it is in a VGTSX fund

On 8/21/2017 at 10:01 AM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm sure no one else is looking at those numbers on wall street, definitely not the Ivy League grads doing analyst internships working 100 hour work weeks. And I'm also sure that no one has done their own modeling to project unemployment and what type of drop down impact that has.

Brilliant. Can't believe no one has thought of this before and already reallocated their money well in advance of this.

Actually they aren't. Wall Street doesn't work that way. Almost all of them are spending almost all those hours studying the legal codes and regulations. They do not exist to perform long term forecasting. They exist to understand and manipulate complex and sophisticated financial instruments for short term gains. There are a few who do long term planning like IRAs, 401k, etc. But those managers are brought up through the same system as the "shorts" and have the same mentality. The shorts look at things day to day. The longs look at things year to year. Nobody looks decade to decade.

1 minute ago, TVScout said:

Let me rephrase that. The DoL publishes monthly employment stats that can be easily plotted on a graph. 

Which tells you peaks and valleys in the past.  How do you predict peaks and valleys in the future?

Lemme guess, you don't exist to teach us such things.

7 hours ago, TVScout said:

Let me rephrase that. The DoL publishes monthly employment stats that can be easily plotted on a graph. 

ted_20091113.png

And again, anybody who knows how to read a graph can look at statistics from years past. What you were alluding to was the ability to understand the peak.trough when it happens.

If you can read inflection points in DoL data like that, PM me. I can get you a job right now running other folks' money, not your own, and the pay is great.

On 8/21/2017 at 2:58 PM, theJ said:

Unless your company offers a roth401k and has a good selection of funds, go with the rothIRA.

Also if anyone can supplement their work retirement plan with a roth IRA for tax diversification and/or lower fees you should. If you earn over the contribution thresholds and do not have an existing IRA you can do a backdoor Roth pretty easily, I would just work with a qualified tax preparer/CPA to ensure you prepare your returns right.

On 8/22/2017 at 8:49 AM, theJ said:

Which tells you peaks and valleys in the past.  How do you predict peaks and valleys in the future?

Lemme guess, you don't exist to teach us such things.

Similar to how doctors can predict the progression of diseases or how astronomers can predict the positions of objects in space. History repeats itself. Economics isn't as complicated as university professors and talking head economists on TV would have you believe.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Iggles said:

And again, anybody who knows how to read a graph can look at statistics from years past. What you were alluding to was the ability to understand the peak.trough when it happens.

If you can read inflection points in DoL data like that, PM me. I can get you a job right now running other folks' money, not your own, and the pay is great.

I can't get the exact points but I should be able to get them within 90%.

No you can't get me a job right now or ever to that because nobody will pay me to do basically nothing for several years in a row. OTOH if the layoff rate suddenly skyrockets sell you stock because a recession has started and the Dow will crash.

kangfigure1.png

7 hours ago, TVScout said:

I can't get the exact points but I should be able to get them within 90%.

No you can't get me a job right now or ever to that because nobody will pay me to do basically nothing for several years in a row. OTOH if the layoff rate suddenly skyrockets sell you stock because a recession has started and the Dow will crash.

kangfigure1.png

If you can get within 90% of an inflection point, seriously, give me your number. If you can tell the difference between that bump in '03 or call within 10% when the peak in '09 hit, I can get you paid. You're describing an ability almost as rare as being able to drill 50-yard field goals. If you've got that touch for real, I can get you paid.

17 hours ago, Iggles said:

If you can get within 90% of an inflection point, seriously, give me your number. If you can tell the difference between that bump in '03 or call within 10% when the peak in '09 hit, I can get you paid. You're describing an ability almost as rare as being able to drill 50-yard field goals. If you've got that touch for real, I can get you paid.

What are you talking about? 2003 bump? Peak in 2009? The Dow bottomed in 2002 and 2009.