Stock Investing

rickyt31

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

I hope the Robinhood IPO absolutely bombs. I look forward to making money shorting it...

Looking like this is going to be a bloody kind of day.

12 mins into market open

YZyuN0O.png

Im thinking I can get some deals, double down, and it wont continue to sink. Ya know.. Cause Im an idiot.

• Like 1

Yea I'm totally in cash in all my trading accounts. I make my small day trades and scalps. Although I did make a nice chunk on a Coinbase put I bought on Friday afternoon right before the close and held it over the weekend. Had a feeling this morning would be bloody.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

If this is all coming from Covid/Delta fears, It's going to be a interesting week. 

Combination of the Delta variant, inflation fears, FED considering tightening, OPEC+ increasing barrels per day, and an extremely overbought and overheated market that was overdue for a correction. That said I'm not putting any capital to work yet.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Combination of the Delta variant, inflation fears, FED considering tightening, OPEC+ increasing barrels per day, and an extremely overbought and overheated market that was overdue for a correction. That said I'm not putting any capital to work yet.

I don't blame you. I buy shares weekly for the long term companies I love, so this is working in my favorite in terms of averaging down as I buy. I actually needed this. Gives me a chance to buy more and buy at a lower rate as I switch accounts. 

• Like 1

Yea I do the weekly thing too. But everything just seems so overbought and overvalued right now I can't square putting capital to work right now. The EPS on most equities is ridiculous. I'm waiting for a 10-20% pullback before I put capital to work. I'm perfectly comfortable just keeping assets in cash until I feel the market has corrected enough. 

Edited by Shockwave
  • Like 1

I can't argue about being overvalued. A lot of renewable energy stocks are way up there. It wouldn't surprise me if we have a red week with all the different factors into play. 

A company I'm hoping drops is ChargePoint. They are pretty heavy here in Atlanta. If they don't drop low enough, I may go with EvGo. 

I wish I could buy into Apple and Disney. Something is going on with Samsung and they stopped shipping their phones, so there aren't a lot of upgrades available. So a lot of people maybe switching over to Apple. That on top of the possibility of landing A24 could really make this jump by the fall ER. 

Not really stock investing per se, but anybody care to weigh in on the best way to store ~$20k for ~6 months and collect a bit of interest?  Everything "safe" seems pretty much like a waste of time right now.  But i'm not really looking to fold it into a bunch of speculative investment or anything.  Just annoying to have it sit there doing nothing.

13 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Not really stock investing per se, but anybody care to weigh in on the best way to store ~$20k for ~6 months and collect a bit of interest?  Everything "safe" seems pretty much like a waste of time right now.  But i'm not really looking to fold it into a bunch of speculative investment or anything.  Just annoying to have it sit there doing nothing.

A high yield savings account is safe and guaranteed. Although the rates aren’t great right now. 

Anything you put into stocks you have to be prepared to lose. I’m guessing this is a house down payment and that isn’t something that I’d personally gamble with. 

If you want to YOLO it, buy GME. This is not financial advice of course. 

14 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I'm in cash in all my trading accounts and waiting for a significant pullback. Honestly I thought the sell off on Monday was the beginning of a nice correction but the market recovered remarkably. My advice is to sit and wait. While the market can be quite stubborn. The last thing you want to do is establish new positions here at all time highs. Certain brokers like Fidelity pay a dividend on liquid cash in their accounts. I'd look into that and wait for a significant pullback before putting capital to work.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2021 at 3:36 PM, kingseanjohn said:

A high yield savings account is safe and guaranteed. Although the rates aren’t great right now. 

Anything you put into stocks you have to be prepared to lose. I’m guessing this is a house down payment and that isn’t something that I’d personally gamble with. 

If you want to YOLO it, buy GME. This is not financial advice of course. 

Yeah, it's not real "gamblin' money".  I wish i were financially prudent enough for it to be a house down payment lol, but instead...it's more like..."**** i hate what i do, i'm going back to school" money.  Because the only solution to overeducation, is more education maybe.

Would be nice to do capitalism and "put my money to work", to pad stuff out a little bit.  But just kinda seems like any of the high yield savings, GICs, etc and anything else stable or mostly safe are basically a waste of time right now.  6 month yield is basically a bottle of tequila.  So that's the plan i guess.  Gonna arrange my finances around a bottle of tequila i'll celebrate with whenever i graduate again.