On 7/24/2021 at 2:40 AM, Tugboat said:

Not really stock investing per se, but anybody care to weigh in on the best way to store ~$20k for ~6 months and collect a bit of interest?  Everything "safe" seems pretty much like a waste of time right now.  But i'm not really looking to fold it into a bunch of speculative investment or anything.  Just annoying to have it sit there doing nothing.

Just put it into SPY. Not as "safe" as a high yield savings account, but it's still a very safe ETF and a good rate of return. It's my main workhorse for my Roth, HSA and regular brokerage.

Edited by biggie.
10 hours ago, biggie. said:

Anyone else gonna jump on Alibaba or are they in the no go zone?

Nope. I would never put any sizable sum of capital into a Chinese stock. You need to know exactly what you are buying:

1. Quote

1. Integrity of Accounting: Chinese companies are not subjected to anything like the same level of regulatory oversight as US or European listed businesses. You only have to look as far as very high profile frauds such as Luckin’ Coffee, the ‘Starbucks of China’; that turned out to be built entirely on fabricated numbers – wiping out billions of investor’s dollars in the process. There are countless others. Sadly, we just cannot have confidence in the numbers we are presented with when it comes to Chinese companies.
    2. The Variable Interest Entity (VIE) Structure: Almost every listed Chinese company we can buy outside of China is listed through a VIE structure. Through this structure investors (usually unwittingly) don’t actually own any part of the actual underlying Chinese company. While that might sound ridiculous, sadly its true. Investors who buy shares in Chinese stocks such as JD.com, Alibaba, Tencent, etc., do not technically have any ownership of the underlying business whatsoever.

The reason is that under Chinese law, foreign ownership in certain (most) Chinese industries is prohibited. As a result, it is illegal for Chinese companies like JD.com and Alibaba to have any non-Chinese shareholders. Back in the early 2000s, as the China growth engine was really beginning, Chinese companies growing quickly looked longingly at the huge amounts of capital available in the US and wanted to access it. At the same time, US investors and Wall Street firms looked longingly at the huge growth rates in China and wanted to access that. But Chinese law prevented them both from doing so.

https://gci-investors.com/chinese-vie-structure-wall-street-continues-to-ignore-the-risks/

• Like 1
On 8/20/2021 at 7:02 AM, Shockwave said:

Nope. I would never put any sizable sum of capital into a Chinese stock. You need to know exactly what you are buying:

https://gci-investors.com/chinese-vie-structure-wall-street-continues-to-ignore-the-risks/

Tbf though if you are going to invest in a Chinese company, Alibaba is probably your safest bet given its scale and dependence on foreign trade

16 hours ago, mission27 said:

Tbf though if you are going to invest in a Chinese company, Alibaba is probably your safest bet given its scale and dependence on foreign trade

But on the flip side the Chinese government and their general business environment as mentioned is a major turn off.

10 minutes ago, biggie. said:

But on the flip side the Chinese government and their general business environment as mentioned is a major turn off.

Absolutely. If they can squash a major IPO like ANT and disappear Jack Ma for 3 months for disparaging speech then they can take down any company they so please at any time.

Whats up with Labor Smart? Seeing a rumor theyll stop being traded on TDAmeritrade and maybe others this Thursday until they become current.

Down 20% today. Might grab 10k shares (90 bucks lol) for no other reason than the upcoming stoppage.

19 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Whats up with Labor Smart? Seeing a rumor theyll stop being traded on TDAmeritrade and maybe others this Thursday until they become current.

Down 20% today. Might grab 10k shares (90 bucks lol) for no other reason than the upcoming stoppage.

Any non pink current stock is gonna get delisted at a handful of places where you will then only be able to sell, not buy. It's only a lottery ticket at this point. Know you're likely to lose 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2021 at 7:37 PM, kingseanjohn said:

I bought into NXE March 30th. It's gone up 42% since then, up to $4.98 today. It's performed well above the other ones that I looked into.

Up ~59% so far. Not sure why, but I like it. Just wish I would've bought more.

• Like 1

I sold some positions on Ameritrade the funds show in my account value but not in my cash available for withdrawl, Why is this? Does it take a few days to be able to withdraw the money into a bank account or what?

Thanks in advance

18 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

I sold some positions on Ameritrade the funds show in my account value but not in my cash available for withdrawl, Why is this? Does it take a few days to be able to withdraw the money into a bank account or what?

Thanks in advance

Is it in the fdic part you mean? 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

Thanks in advance

Yea stock trades take 2 days to settle (T+2), options settle overnight. So if you sold today the funds should be able to withdraw Wednesday.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bcb1213 said:

Is it in the fdic part you mean? 

tbh Im not too sure what you mean I apologize Im using the Ameritade app and I go under the account section and scroll to the bottom under "Fund your account" part

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

Yea stock trades take 2 days to settle (T+2), options settle overnight. So if you sold today the funds should be able to withdraw Wednesday.

I sold on yesterday (I think) or Saturday