Stock Investing

rickyt31

54 minutes ago, biggie. said:

So I'm shifting gears a bit. My Roth is 100% SCHD but I'm torn if I should do 100% VOO, 100% QQQ or a mix of those two in my taxable.

VGT is also in play because it has a cheaper expense ratio than QQQ and better returns, but it's even less diverse becsuse it is strictly a tech ETF whereas QQQ is mostly tech.

Guess the big question is with a stable dividend based ETF in my Roth, should I have riskier high growth based ETFs or another stable one in my taxable?

Aren’t you a youngster?  Like, 25 or whatever?  If so, I’d be 100% growth. 

Dividend stuff is cool, but the trade off typically means less growth.  You don’t need the income from the dividends and won’t for like 40 years.

Imo…

As far as which fund?  Eh, just pick one. Expenses and such don’t mean all that much unless there’s some absurd difference. It’s a few bucks a year and irrelevant long term.

43 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Aren’t you a youngster?  Like, 25 or whatever?  If so, I’d be 100% growth. 

Dividend stuff is cool, but the trade off typically means less growth.  You don’t need the income from the dividends and won’t for like 40 years.

Imo…

As far as which fund?  Eh, just pick one. Expenses and such don’t mean all that much unless there’s some absurd difference. It’s a few bucks a year and irrelevant long term.

31, wasn't sure if that's considered "old". That's why I have a dovodend ETF in my Roth because that has zero hance of being touched for a VERY long time.

7 minutes ago, biggie. said:

31, wasn't sure if that's considered "old". That's why I have a dovodend ETF in my Roth because that has zero hance of being touched for a VERY long time.

There’s nothing wrong with dividend funds, but generally speaking they’re designed for income more than growth. That’s not to say you won’t get growth, but it likely won’t keep up with growth funds over the course of years/decades even when factoring in the income from the dividends being reinvested.

33 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

There’s nothing wrong with dividend funds, but generally speaking they’re designed for income more than growth. That’s not to say you won’t get growth, but it likely won’t keep up with growth funds over the course of years/decades even when factoring in the income from the dividends being reinvested.

Ironically SCHD has had SP500 like growth the past 10 years, hence why I made the switch. My line of thinking is have a safer dividend fund in the Roth because a retirement account is much more sensitive then your taxable, which you fund with money you can afford to lose.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, biggie. said:

Ironically SCHD has had SP500 like growth the past 10 years, hence why I made the switch. My line of thinking is have a safer dividend fund in the Roth because a retirement account is much more sensitive then your taxable, which you fund with money you can afford to lose.

As long as you’re getting growth you’re good 

On 11/10/2022 at 8:57 AM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Hope you tried today. Gonna be a fun one.

Heh actually that day wiped me out. I was short an MES future in the account and that massive green fed candle that morning led to auto liquidation. Only lost $500 but it was quite the learning experience. Luckily on Tradovate you can trade the micros with only $50 in collateral per contract. So after that debacle I put another $500 in and have already doubled it. But yea.. no more FED candles for me.

Futures are interesting though. Highly liquid, very small commission on Tradovate (.25 per micro), low margin requirements, no PDT rules. Instant settlement. I'm done with stocks and options for daytrading purposes.

If anyone wants to give it a go you really only need like $500 in the account to trade the micros. The MES micros (S&P) pay $5 per point. The MNQ (Nasdaq) pays $2 per point. Typically a buy and a sell round trip comes out to about $1.32 in commission and fees. If anyone is interested I'll go further into details.

• 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

This made me laugh

~247mil volume in a single day and up ~290%. I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens once they issue their dividend and what, if anything, happens with the naked shorting investigation.

I bought some GNS this morning thinking I'd sell tomorrow for a gain. But now I may buy a little more and let it ride.

Gave up on stocks TBH. Been trading futures on the Nasdaq and S&P so less stressful. Don't have to worry about all low float market shenanigans. 😎

Superior to options. No time decay no IV crush.
Superior to stocks. Can short the index same as long. No need for margin. 
Low commission if you use the right broker. 
Available in mini and micro depending on your available capital. 

Edited by Shockwave
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Tracking banks yesterday. Afternoon, after hours..

Fighting not to buy in to sit for the a small bounce. And it finally hit me. "Theyre down. GOLD!"

Went Yamana over GoldFields. Up over 2%. (GoldFields 4% but cost more per)

Then Kinross Gold and just sold at a 4% gain.

Followed by an old friend. Denison Mines. Mentioned them before in plays. Cheap stock, looked over their market movement and blindly bought. Completely forgetting they mined Uranium. Down 5.3% lol

Disagree completely on the lack of necessity for high dividend yields.

Dividends are the most underrated aspect of investing, especially when young.

Put thousands into high dividend yield stocks and ETFs at a young age and set whichever account you have to auto reinvest dividends.

Especially now in this market.

Big, big, big fan of dividends.

• Like 1

I’m just playing the aggressive compound interest game over time. Maxing out my employer match, doing $250-$500 a month into a side account, and hoping these things mathematically balance out like they have since 1980 when I’m ready to retire in 24-26 years.

Getting my house at a 2.250% rate right now is really what I’m thankful for because I doubt we’d be able to afford a house at all right now otherwise.