Stock Investing

rickyt31

6 hours ago, TVScout said:

Real estate will never crash again?

In any case, the real point was that the graph isn't at all applicable.  And throughout this thread you claim to be able to perceive these trends and peaks before they happen.  It didn't line up.  I'm just wondering what evidence you have for a looming housing crash on similar levels to the one in 2008/2009.

On 8/27/2017 at 11:46 AM, TVScout said:

Are you concerned about the new housing bubble?

Case-Shiller-SF-natl5-15.png

Not really, all my properties have 25-30% equity at least and a nice buffer with rents covering the debt service easily. 

If it does happen I'll be waiting to pick up a bunch of properties for cheap.

Wish I had the money and knowledge I do today in 2008. 

Edited by Pats#1

20 hours ago, theJ said:

In any case, the real point was that the graph isn't at all applicable.  And throughout this thread you claim to be able to perceive these trends and peaks before they happen.  It didn't line up.  I'm just wondering what evidence you have for a looming housing crash on similar levels to the one in 2008/2009.

What are "these" trends. I wrote about the Dow. Historically it has peaked months after a recession has started and bottomed out after the economy has started growing again. Predicting when a recession will happen is impossible. But determining if a recession has started is not that difficult. I have already posted a chart showing how unemployment rates alwas soar when recessions start.  So do oil prices:

recessions-and-oil-spikes.png

When oil prices and unemployment rates increase sharply the economy is surely in a recession. When oil prices and layoff rates fall for at least three months the recession has ended. At that point the Dow is near bottom.

19 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

Not really, all my properties have 25-30% equity at least and a nice buffer with rents covering the debt service easily. 

If it does happen I'll be waiting to pick up a bunch of properties for cheap.

Wish I had the money and knowledge I do today in 2008. 

The rental income is a great buffer. That income effect is why much of my money is in dividends. The Dow will go up and down but my dividend returns don't change very much.

3 hours ago, Axiomatic52 said:

I have been investing in crypto for the last 2 years. I got Bitcoin at $400, Ethereum at $4, and Litecoin at $6

Today

Bitcoin = $4600

Ethereum = $369

Litecoin = $62

And it's still early in the crypto game. 5 years the prices will be much higher. 

Didn't Etherium drop like 90% in a day a little while ago due to a big trade or Something? 

I might buy some just for fun, but I couldn't convince myself to put a good bit of my money into it.

19 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

Didn't Etherium drop like 90% in a day a little while ago due to a big trade or Something? 

I might buy some just for fun, but I couldn't convince myself to put a good bit of my money into it.

Yes, someone sold like 30 million worth of ETH. They probably sold to cause the crash and to buy it back at the low prices. Lol, wish I could have picked some up during the crash myself!

3 hours ago, Axiomatic52 said:

Yes, someone sold like 30 million worth of ETH. They probably sold to cause the crash and to buy it back at the low prices. Lol, wish I could have picked some up during the crash myself!

Crazy stuff. Is the crypto market currently regulated by any type of governing body? I can't imagine doing something like that is strictly speaking "legal".

Gordon Gekko up to his old tricks lol

On 8/29/2017 at 4:19 PM, Axiomatic52 said:

I have been investing in crypto for the last 2 years. I got Bitcoin at $400, Ethereum at $4, and Litecoin at $6

Today

Bitcoin = $4600

Ethereum = $369

Litecoin = $62

And it's still early in the crypto game. 5 years the prices will be much higher. 

Where do you normally invest at?

4 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

Crazy stuff. Is the crypto market currently regulated by any type of governing body? I can't imagine doing something like that is strictly speaking "legal".

the point of crypto is that it is not regulated by any type of 'governing body' :)

32 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

the point of crypto is that it is not regulated by any type of 'governing body' :)

Yea, I knew that no gov't regulates it, but wasn't sure if there were like any rules/regulations by those who run the trading platforms to stop people from doing possible schemes like Scout pointed out.

Then again, even if there were rules, since no legal governing body enforces it, I guess it would be pointless anyways.

Crypto is really cool and really scary all at the same time for me looking at it from an investment standpoint.

On 8/30/2017 at 7:52 PM, Pats#1 said:

No, but regulations apply when getting into ICOs.