Stock Investing

rickyt31

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know all the details of it yet but wanted to ask some questions somewhere.

I'm allowed to invest with some of the money in my HSA, anything over $2000 actually. I'm only slightly over that threshold and don't know exactly what the investment options are. Is this worth doing, even if it's only a small amount?

On September 21, 2017 at 11:16 AM, skywindO2 said:

I don't know all the details of it yet but wanted to ask some questions somewhere.

I'm allowed to invest with some of the money in my HSA, anything over $2000 actually. I'm only slightly over that threshold and don't know exactly what the investment options are. Is this worth doing, even if it's only a small amount?

Does the 2k cover your out of pocket max or deductible?

Generally speaking if it's only a couple hundred bucks it's not going to matter much.

On 9/21/2017 at 11:16 AM, skywindO2 said:

It's a nice option, but more useful for the high income crowd whose tax free growth investment options are limited. Most people are better off limiting their hsa contributions to what they really need, and doing their retirement savings in their Roth IRA or Roth 401k. 

Also, what @LETSGOBROWNIES said and was alluding to. It's not going to make much difference, and you probably don't want to invest the money that's covering your deductible. 

16 minutes ago, theJ said:

It's a nice option, but more useful for the high income crowd whose tax free growth investment options are limited. Most people are better off limiting their hsa contributions to what they really need, and doing their retirement savings in their Roth IRA or Roth 401k. 

Also, what @LETSGOBROWNIES said and was alluding to. It's not going to make much difference, and you probably don't want to invest the money that's covering your deductible. 

I will have to disagree here.

Many folks whom I speak to every day (I'm an RN for an insurance company) are horrifically underfunded for health costs, or potential costs. 

Some things to keep in mind;

1. Your deductible and out of pocket max are per CALENDER year.  Get in a bad car accident at the end of December and you'll have two deductibles to meet. Same for surgery, etc.

2. Copays aren't commonly applied to deductibles.  Sure, your copay may only be $25-50, but factor that in for 3x per week chemo or PT and it adds up quickly.

3. If you have kids, a spouse, etc, apply 1 & 2 to them as well.

Imo max that HSA every year.  It's tax free money that you can either save indefinitely or eventually use for retirement.

On 9/22/2017 at 8:48 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I will have to disagree here.

Many folks whom I speak to every day (I'm an RN for an insurance company) are horrifically underfunded for health costs, or potential costs. 

Some things to keep in mind;

1. Your deductible and out of pocket max are per CALENDER year.  Get in a bad car accident at the end of December and you'll have two deductibles to meet. Same for surgery, etc.

2. Copays aren't commonly applied to deductibles.  Sure, your copay may only be $25-50, but factor that in for 3x per week chemo or PT and it adds up quickly.

3. If you have kids, a spouse, etc, apply 1 & 2 to them as well.

Imo max that HSA every year.  It's tax free money that you can either save indefinitely or eventually use for retirement.

Definitely agree to max your HSA. I needed a dental implant which is not covered by insurance at all - my deductible didn't mean squat. Putting the max in my HSA has allowed me to pay for it pre-tax. Almost anyone in and HDHP will use there deductible and then some over the years. If you somehow do not the funds go on forever and could always be used during retirement for nursing home costs and such.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mission27 said:

Nah too many competitors with much greater resources even once they get access to the capital markets, I'm stilling betting on the real Apple TV.

I've had some pretty nice success with IPO's in the past. They almost always open and go parabolic. Great for short term turnaround trades. I'll buy it at open for as close to the $14 as possible and I'll flip it by the end of the day or tomorrow before it crashes.