BDL 2018 Week 6 - Long Beach Leprechauns @ Oklahoma City EF5s

ny92mike

Long Beach Leprechauns @ Oklahoma City EF5s  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Long Beach Leprechauns
    • Oklahoma City EF5s

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/17/2018 at 04:00 PM

BDL 2018 Week 6

Match:  Long Beach Leprechauns @ Oklahoma City EF5s

Away Owner:  @Counselor

Home Owner:  @Whicker

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both.

Long Beach Leprechauns

Offense

QB- Aaron Rodgers

RB- Christian McCaffrey

WR- DeAndre Hopkins

WR- Marvin Jones

WR- Cooper Kupp

TE- George Kittle

LT- Terron Armstead

LG- Andrew Norwell

C- Max Unger

RG- Joe Thuney

RT- Bryan Bulaga

RB- Mark Ingram

RB- Isaiah Crowell

FB- Andy Janovich

QB- DeShone Kizer

WR- Devin Funchess

WR- Keelan Cole

OL- Charles Leno Jr

OL- Quinton Spain

Defense

LE- Cam Jordan

NT- DJ Reader

DT- Jarran Reed

RE- Trey Flowers

SLB- Joe Schobert

WLB- Jayon Brown

CB- Artie Burns

CB- EJ Gaines

Nickel- Budda Baker

FS- Tyrann Mathieu

SS- Landon Collins

DE- Preston Smith

DT- Vita Vea

DE- Sam Hubbard

DT- Deadrin Senat

LB- Jarrad Davis

LB- Avery Williamson

CB- Bradley Roby

CB- Beshaud Breeland

Oklahoma City EF5s

QB: Cam Newton
RB: Melvin Gordon III
WR: Adam Thielen
WR: Robert Woods
WR: Kenny Stills
WR: Taywan Taylor
LT: David Bakhtiari
LG: Zach Fulton
C: Rodney Hudson
RG: Michael Schofield III
RT: Morgan Moses

RB: Joe Mixon
RB: Alex Collins
WR: Anthony Miller
WR: D.J. Moore
TE: Mark Andrews

QB: Josh Rosen
OL: Jesse Davis
OL: Brian O'Neill

LOLB: Von Miller
DT: Cameron Heyward
DT: Stephon Tuitt
ROLB: Ryan Kerrigan
SLB: Lorenzo Alexander
MLB: Darron Lee
WLB/S: Adrian Amos
CB: Patrick Peterson
CB: Shaquill Griffin
CB: Bene' Benwikere
FS: Malik Hooker

OLB: Nick Perry
OLB: Matt Judon

NT: Eddie Goldman
DL: Tyeler Davison
LB: Cory Littleton
CB: Trevor Williams
CB: Fabian Moreau
S: Jordan Poyer

Long Beach Leprechauns

Gameplan Offense:

Our Strategy this week is to play a ball control offense against an undefeated OKC team. We will line up predominantly in two wide sets with Hopkins and Kupp as the Receivers. We will have a two back offense this week featuring all three of our top backs. If Crowell is not healthy enough to go we will feature our top two backs. Janovich will play in power run formations and in three back formations. We will motion frequently whether it is to get Hopkins in the slot on a two wide side while motioning McCaffrey out wide to the other side, or motioning McCaffrey into the slot to spread out the defense. Bottom line is we will have a lot of movement pre snap.

Run Game:

We want to run down their throats in this game, to take advantage of their undersized back end defenders. We will run right at Von, and pull often to his side as well as lead with the Fullback right at him. We want to tire down their one true pass rusher. This OKC team has a pretty solid interior up front. We will not back down as we trust our line to get movement. We want to power our way to eating up clock. We would ideally like to get McCaffrey, Ingram, and Crowell 12 carries each. Each back provides a different style of runner. If Crowell can’t go this week we will split between Ingram and McCaffrey the same bulk of carries. Kittle will line up on whatever side Von is lined up on as part of our motion pre snap, if not already lined up in front of him. We will frequently move our zone blocking in a slant towards Von and if they line up Heyward next to Von like they did last week we will be forcing Heyward to two gap and providing cut back lanes towards Tuitt and the over aggressive Lee who will likely have ran himself out of position. Having two backs in the backfield allows us to run misdirection with a pitch or toss option, further spreading out the defense setting up our inside run game.

Passing Game:

We will primarily have our two wide looks and get Hopkins and Kupp sufficient work on the outside or in the slot after motioning. If Peterson shadows Hopkins the motions will be much more frequent to get him into the slot. We will be picking on Shaq Griffin early and often regardless of who he lines up on, if he gets the start at the number 2. Kittle will chip Von often and eat up the middle of the field on his routes as well as stretch the seam opening up some of the underneath coverage. McCaffrey will be a pass catcher out of the backfield and split out. Ingram or Crowell will provide the extra pass blocker against Von. If they go to cover one when I split out McCaffrey we will be working Kupp on crossing routes running combos with Hopkins taking advantage of Griffin trying to cover Kupp.

Defense:

• Line up in a nickel against their 3 wide sets

• Jarran Reed is new to the defense and gets the start inside at DT

• Vea and Senat rotate in at NT and DT to keep the interior fresh

• Budda Baker is in the slot

• We will be playing predominately zone to mask the weakness of our outside corners

• Zone will consist of Cover 2 and Cover 3 looks

• Schobert will spy Cam Newton

• In Man Collins has one of the OW and Brown has the other.

• Mathieu plays over the top at all times to eliminate any big plays

Oklahoma City EF5s

This week we take on the Long Beach Leprechauns, a fierce division rival with a very strong offense. Fortunately for us, they come in struggling on the defensive side of the ball, and we believe we can move on them all day with our dynamic offense and let our talented defense get enough stops to win.

Offense:

Long Beach has come out in primarily zone defenses in the past couple of weeks. To best counter this, we are going to use bunch formations and flood concepts to overload zones and create open receivers. Even against man coverage, we believe that we can win our individual matchups from these formations and attack at all levels of the field.

One player we have a lot of respect for in the Long Beach secondary is Landon Collins. We will use pre-snap motion and shifts to identify his assignment on each play. We'll come to the line with two plays: one for deep safety Collins and one for box Collins. Against deep safety Collins, our playcalling will be 65/35 in favor of the run. When running against this lighter box, we will use power concepts to mainly run inside against a weak interior defense. Against box Collins, our playcalling will be 80/20 in favor of the pass. Our runs in these situations will look to attack edges and use our bunch receivers to create extra blocks.

We will utilize 2 RB formations and feature both Melvin Gordon and Joe Mixon as receivers both split out and out of the backfield. We want to give both of them plenty of opportunities to run at a soft interior as well as get the ball in space. Ideally, Gordon will see about 75% of snaps with Mixon receiving about 50%.

Unless he sees double teams, Adam Thielen will be our featured receiver in this game. We believe that he is at or approaching matchup proof status and we trust him to win against any individual on Long Beach's roster. He will line up both in the slot and out wide and, as usual, there will be no limits to his route tree. Kenny Stills will once again keep the defense honest with his deep game. We will take our deep shots against any Long Beach corner if Stills doesn't receive safety help over the top. Taywan Taylor will be utilized on screens, shovel passes, jet sweeps, etc. in order to get him the ball on the move. Robert Woods, in addition to working as our #2 WR, will also have his number called on a couple of manufactured touches.

Cameron Jordan is another important highlight on the Long Beach defense, and we will look to provide help to our right side when passing. We will alternate between most forms of additional pass protection, including sliding our line, RB blocks, WR chips from close formations, delayed routes, and QB rollouts.

Defense:

This week we're going to utilize a man-heavy Cover-1 scheme with a middle zone out of a 2-4-5 base formation.

One reason we think a Cover-1 scheme will be successful for us is our cornerback, Patrick Peterson. Peterson might be the only corner who can shut down someone like DeAndre Hopkins with no help, and we plan on using that ability in this game. Peterson will follow Hopkins everywhere. Shaquill Griffin, then, will cover Marvin Jones Jr.

With Peterson requiring no safety help, we can line Amos up in the box where he does his best work. Amos is going to play a middle zone and disrupt passes over the middle. We also want him to be especially aware of Christian McCaffrey coming out of the backfield. Malik Hooker will play in the Cover-1 zone which will be shaded away from Patrick Peterson. Like Amos, we want Hooker to keep an eye on McCaffrey. Darron Lee will be the main man in coverage on McCaffrey or Ingram.

Bene' Benwikere will cover Cooper Kupp and Lorenzo Alexander will cover George Kittle. We want both to maintain outside leverage against their opponent, influencing the call of in-breaking routes towards Amos' zone. If Kittle stays into block, Alexander will rush.

Against a 2 RB set with both McCaffrey and Ingram in the game, Cory Littleton will come onto the field for Benwikere and be responsible for Ingram. Against I-formation with a fullback, we will take Benwikere off the field for Eddie Goldman and go with a heavier front.

With Rodgers hurting, we aren't as afraid of him breaking the pocket and making a play as we usually would be. Therefore, we want Von Miller and Ryan Kerrigan to be aggressive off the edge and test his mobility.

Long Beach O

If you plan on playing mostly out of the 2 backs sets, why not put it on your starting line-up?

I do like the plan to run the ball a lot. Would have prefered it with OKC defense split out (w/o Goldman) assuming Goldman comes in in 2RB sets. Good rotation and good OL for LB should make this work though.

The cutback and misdirection approach would work great against an aggressive DL. Curious on how Whicker planned it.

This offense has so many weapons. They have a great shot here.

Extra protection for Von is smart. Rest of the OL can handle well OKC front.

OKC D

Peterson vs Hopkins. What a matchup. Hopkins is so good right now I think he can win some. PP will limit him though. Love Kupp vs Griffen though.

Amos in the middle + Alexander in man. I don't see Kittle having a big game. Though it's a lot of resources on a guy chipping Von on a fair amount of plays.

2 downsides on Lee getting McCaffrey. First, while he's having a great year, I think McCaffrey may be too much to handle for him. Second, when he's split out, the run D loses its MLB. I would have prefered Amos on man coverage and Lee in middle zone.

Littleton in on 2RB sets, not goldman. Helps the pass D, weakens the run D. Not sure if there's a good choice here for OKC. 

Don't see Kerrigan having an impact at all vs Armstead.

Summary: looking good for LB.

OKC offense

4WR. Interesting. I know LB corners aren't good, but I doubt they play man. We'll see.

Apparently Whicker is also expecting zone coverage. I like the plan, not sure I trust Cam to execute it.

I feel like OKC underestimates LB DL in the run game. Don't think they can open huge holes inside and they don't have enough resources to block at the second level. Assuming LB has 2LB on the field of course. 

If Collins is in box and LB plays zone, which likely means a cover 3, targeting the sidelines is a good idea.

I like the 2RB sets. Curious on how LB defends Gordon split out. He's had success there in LA this year.

Thielen could have a good game. Stills is too involved and Woods not enough imho.

LB D

I do like Sneat and Vea as rotation pieces. 

Zone coverage of course. No other option for Counselor

Cover 3 and cover 2. Fits what Whicker expected.

Schobert spying the QB and playing middle zone. What happens if Cam slides out of the pocket? Big play opportunities in the middle for OKC.

Not loving Collins in man, but it's not a big part of LB gameplan

Well that was easy.

Summary: Schematically, I think Whicker hit the right points. It comes down to the execution. And I don't love Cam vs zone and I don't like OKC interior OL.

LB ends OKC undefeated year with an emphatic win 37-23

I really like the pairing of Reader and Reed as both have been quietly very good this year, and I think they win regularly again the OKC OGs.  However, Burns isn't an NFL starting caliber CB, much less a BDL one.  

I don't think that OKC can slide their OL like they want.  Also, with no TE, their plan of chipping Jordan becomes much more difficult.  I think he would lock up a RB or chipping WR more than OKC is expecting.  

Both teams have very good plans, but I think OKC underrated the DL of LB which costs them.  

Patrick Peterson shadowed Hopkins with Tom Savage at QB last season and still got beat a few times including for a TD. A limping Rodgers hurts but Vom Miller may very well have to injure Aaron for Hopkins to lose that battle. I like the road teams offense. They won’t score at will but points won’t be hard to come by. 

I’m beginning to understand why Counselor needs CBs. Trumaine’s absence is huge here. Cam does have some issues here and there but that running game should keep down and distance at manageable rates. The key here is can Cam get the ball to his weapons enough.

A healthy Rodgers would be enough, but I think the home team deserves respect as the final undefeated team in BDL. Counselor brings some high level weapons and an unappreciated OL (love their tackle group, their OL in general) to nullify a terrific pass rush. I think the road team pulls off the upset this week.

I like the OKC offensive gameplan of bunch formations and inside running, I think both can be pretty successful. I dislike a 2-4-5 scheme against a heavy rushing game plan from LB but I do think that with LB targeting to run right at one of the better run defenders in the league that OKC can have some defensive success and with Malik Hooker shaded to help Griffin I think that will be a battle all game.

Overall I like OKCs gameplan to take this one at home against a division rival.

Archived