Ups and Downs: Carolina

MikeT14

Ups

1. Defense forcing turnovers - we have seen this defense a lot since the switch to the 3-4. Bend don’t break. Norman bounced back big, and we got some very needed TOs to help our offense. 

2. AP - this dude just balls when given the opportunity. He’s done well when given the rock and executing. 

3. Dustin Hopkins - two clutch FGs including a career long. Atta boy.

4. Doctson - baby steps.

Downs

1. Jay Gruden and the 2nd half gameplay - copy paste from every week. 

2. 2nd half offense - copy paste from every week. 

3. Pass rush - how many times did we get to Cam?

Ups

1. We won.

2. An interception and a forced fumble from Josh Norman. I’m so happy for him!

3. Defense played we’ll for most of the game - unfortunately they fell apart a little in the 4th quarter which made the game closer than it should’ve been.

4.Our running game hummed along well, Peterson with 97 yards despite battling 3 injuries was impressive.

Downs, who cares, we won!

We won against a team I don’t think anyone gave us a chance to beat once again.

I still want our passing game to be more in sync and get bigger chunks of yards but at the same time I can’t be too mad because once again, we won. Not every D we face will be as good as Carolina’s, in fact, most won’t be that good.

Be happy we won and move on.

Ups:

- A win. Feels good whenever we get a win.

- Running the ball. Getting AP started and letting him run wild. Great blocking and Peterson hitting the open holes.

- Doctson. Good route running for the most part, a couple good catches. Definitely better than a blank stat sheet.

- Vernon Davis. Still got it. Good catches and the opening TD.

- Alex Smith. No turnovers. 

- Paul Richardson. He has been impressive to me. Finding soft spots in the defense and making sure to hold onto the ball.

- Josh Norman. Good int and the “Peanut punch”. A much better game than he has had recently.

- Dustin Hopkins. Nailed all his kicks including the 56 yard bomb.

- Run Blocking. Opened holes consistently. 

Downs:

-Pass Blocking. Below average performance. Morgan Moses has looked outmatched at times. Trent Williams wasn’t stellar. Interior O-Line was particularly underwhelming. Gotta give your QB time to go through his reads.

-Alex Smith. Accuracy wasn’t great today. Needed to understand situations better and check down when the pressure is on and nothing is there downfield. Yardage output could have been better with better ball placement on a couple throws.

-Jay Gruden. “We gotta keep our foot on the throttle.” Then you go to conservative play calling... Can’t mince words, play calling needs to be better. Situational football is a real thing. Using a 2nd half timeout before a 4th down and calling a play that took too long to develop. We have seen this happen too often.

-Greg Manusky. Why must we play soft zone defense with a lead? Can we throw a blitz at someone when our front 4 don’t get home? Play calling is horrific with a lead on both sides of the ball.

Watched the game on tape. AP and Turnovers were the difference. What’s the deal with this offense in the second half? Gruden must be the worst 2nd half coach ever. I wonder what he does at halftime as opposed to what high quality coaches do. I think he’s just a super slow thinker with a low intellect  and can’t react and adjust in-game. 

What really stood out to me was that he gets torn a new one about his horrific play calling in the Monday game, adjusts and calls a good first quarter with plays like screens or running plays with motion deception then runs out of gas and goes back to his normal plays and almost craps the bed again in the second half. It’s really no fun being a redskins fan with this leadership team. Gruden is like an anvil around this team that they have to drag around. Today they survived his incompetence. 

A friend said the was 100% sure there were more Panther than Redskins fans in attendance at this Redskins hone game and still at least 20k empty seats. That’s an attention grabber. 

Still I believe we are in first place so congratulations. AP is the mvp so far. What heart this future hall of famer has. Love him

This is such a deeply flawed franchise from a bumbling owner to an incompetent “politician” president, to an under IQ head coach- with our three stooges we should feel very lucky to be leading the NFC East. But sometimes even three stooges win tenor.gif

Ups: 1)No turnovers & we caused 3

2)Played great 1st 1/2

3)Played bend, don't break D. Good, but not great.

4)Played smart

5)ran the ball effectively. Good, but not great.

Downs: 1) Got to get better Offensively in the 2nd 1/2.

2)Got to get better pressure on QB with our big front on passing downs.

Offensively=B-

Defensively=B

Special Teams=A+ (caused fumble & Hopkins kicking)

Overall Grade= B+

This game should have been a blowout. We were up 17-0 and stopped pushing. 

3 Turnovers, should have beeen 3 scores. Period. Red zone play calling is awful. Jordan Reed needs to be more involved. 

Alex Smith has got to be more decisive pre snap. He is staring down receivers at times and is gun shy. I can only recall 1 shot at throwing past 30 yards. 

The offensive line, especially the LG and C positions need an upgrade. There is no pass protection. 

I have always like Peterson since he was at Oklahoma, thought he was a special back. The fact that he always has that chip on his shoulder and stayed in shape at 33 and still has the gusto to do what he is doing, says a lot. Thank you for being available and thank you to Jay and Doug for signing him without the consent from Bruce. 

Josh Doctson has no clue on how to get any separation unless its designed route movement, I.e., a slant, in or out route. His go route in which he was actually targeted was literally a straight line. No hesitation, no shuffle of the feet, no inclination of breaking off the route, NOT A SINGLE HITCH TO FOOL OR DECEIVE THE CB. NOTHING. I watched him intently. NOTHING. He does not have straight line speed. 

Mo Harris is a baller. I love the dude. Got to get him more involved. He is a much better X receiver than Doctson. Hell, I would rather move Harris to the Y, Richardson in the Z and draft a top WR next year to be the X. 

Is Ryan Kerrigan even on this team? He has 1 sack in 5 games with an improved defensive line. How is he not getting more pressures, and have like 4 sacks already? Sorry @MKnight82 but Preston Smith is actually showing more than Kerrigan. 

Jay really needs to hand over the play calling. He is not doing us any favors by conservatively playing football in the 2nd halves of games in which we have a lead. Need to step on the gas and punch it through the floor board. Should never be in situations like yesterday. Tired of having to watch the game all the way to the end cause we can’t close out teams. 

Maybe I should record my wife talking about how much the Redskins suck because they cant come out and blow any one out. How there is nothing exciting about them except for a 33 year old running back that was not on the roster until Guice went down. And how I could be more productive spending time with my family during the game instead of watching that garbage being tossed around the Landfill known as FedEx Field. She won’t even go to a game if the tickets were free because the experience is not fun. It’s not inspiring. It’s not an atmosphere. It’s a joke. The Redskins get the most media coverage in this town yet they are the worst team here. 

Why did we pay Alex Smith all that money. Why. 

1 hour ago, mike23md said:

Jay really needs to hand over the play calling. He is not doing us any favors by conservatively playing football in the 2nd halves of games in which we have a lead. Need to step on the gas and punch it through the floor board. Should never be in situations like yesterday. Tired of having to watch the game all the way to the end cause we can’t close out teams. 

You can really tell the difference between him and McVay.

Grudens second half approach is awful, we need to find a way to keep our foot on the gas and play a full 60 minutes.

AP is absolutely a beast, with half his body on the injury report I did not have high expectations, but he carried this offense yesterday. I hope he can stay healthy, but having him has definitely improved this team.

2 hours ago, mike23md said:

Is Ryan Kerrigan even on this team? He has 1 sack in 5 games with an improved defensive line. How is he not getting more pressures, and have like 4 sacks already? Sorry @MKnight82 but Preston Smith is actually showing more than Kerrigan. 

I don't disagree, but the problem is, this isn't saying much either :(

I read Scherff missed some play(s) but returned ( knee- he's a warrior !  ) . I didn't really notice this . Anyone know who went in for him ?

Peterson- as good as he's been, I swear he stops sometimes when there seems to be a nice hole. He's leaving yards on the table.

Kapri Bibbs- great name, lousy player . Sure hurt losing Byron Marshall. :(

Will the Roullier/ Bergstrom combo become permanent?

8 hours ago, Vladimir L said:

should have used Peterson more int he second half because Smith got happy feet.

Yes he’s been awesome- AP, but I can’t see him take this abuse on his old bones more than a few more games. If we had anything else back there I’d prefer to put him on a play count of 20 a game

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I don't disagree, but the problem is, this isn't saying much either :(

We have to get more pressure. I’d move Kerrigan inside on some pass rushing plays and Zach Brown not blitzing often is such a missed opportunity. We very well could be seeing Father Time taking its toll on Kerrigan. He looks noticeably slower.

Archived