Around the NFL and General discussion

hornbybrown

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, look at the Patriots from 2001-now, that’s what our window should look like.

If you have an elite QB you’re in it every year.

But.....

Brees and Rodgers have been to 1 super bowl in their entire careers. You don’t know. What New England has done is the rarest of rare. Hell, Pittsburgh hasn’t been to a super bowl in a decade.

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

But.....

Brees and Rodgers have been to 1 super bowl in their entire careers. You don’t know. What New England has done is the rarest of rare. Hell, Pittsburgh hasn’t been to a super bowl in a decade.

I’m not saying you don’t make a run at it, but I don’t think you sacrifice future seasons for the perceived shot at a ring.  

And in all fairness to Ben and Pittsburgh, Brady is a big reason why Ben hasn’t been there in a while.

A couple of things about the Pats.  They have the greatest coach in the history of the game at adapting the scheme both on offense and defense to fit the roster.  That and Brady are the buggest factors.  Back in the cory dillon days they were a run heavy team, during the gronk hernandez welker years they were a precision offense that would disect opponents, whrn they had moss they were a take the top off offense.  On D they have ran a 3/4, they have ran a 4/3 as their base, they have always been hybrid though.  2nd, once they got a very good roster, they could literally draft bpa rather than need.  This allowed them to selectively let good players walk when the contracts to keep them became gargantuan.  Next, they are great at developing mid round picks or unheralded free agents into key contributors within the scheme.

i love Baker as much as anyone.  Kitchens too.  But for us to replicate what the Pats have done Freddy better be beyond amazing.  Amazing wont get us there.  He will have to be able to do all of the above that the Pats do, as well as develop assistant coaches effectively as with success they inevitably will leave for other opportunities as so many Pats assistants have over the years.

11 hours ago, candyman93 said:

But.....

But his point to me at least. If you have a QB you are always in SB contention. Rodgers and Brews have only been to one each but they have been in talks of Super Bowl contention every year. Biggest difference between them and Brady has been Brady has always had a top tier defense behind him. I think every year Brady has been starting, he had a top10 defense back him every season except 3 and even then tho defense were still 15th, 17th, and 17th.  Brees has played with at least 6 defenses that were bottom 10. Rodgers played with a defense 20th or worse 5x. Brady has been unreal but BB and his defense being top10 that many times is amazing just as much. 

With that in mind, it’s amazing how many times the Steelers have choked. They have had some amazing defenses and solid offenses and did nothing with them. Thank god the Pats have blocked them because they could have had an unreal run too and never would have shut up about it

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Steelers would have had a dynasty if not for New England.

And that is a big reason I don't hate the Pats dynasty. I could only imagine that fan base if they had added 4 more rings over the last 10 years. 

40 minutes ago, JDD said:

And that is a big reason I don't hate the Pats dynasty. I could only imagine that fan base if they had added 4 more rings over the last 10 years. 

Same. I'll be glad when the Pats dynasty is over, but I've loved them beating the Steelers over and over again throughout the years.

This is a possibility.

This is the 50th season of Monday Night Football, and the teams that played in the first Monday night game were the Browns and Jets on Sept. 21, 1970 (Homer Jones returned a kickoff for a touchdown and Billy Andrews intercepted Joe Namath to seal the 31-21 Browns win). The Browns just happen to play at the Jets this season; a re-run of that game for the Monday night opener would make a lot of sense.

Heard something kinda interesting. Is a team truly better off being well rounded vs. completely dominant on one side of the ball and just okay on the other. I ask because of teams like the Rams and Chiefs.

I hate using the Patriots as any kind of standard because it’s like saying a team should be similar to the 90’s Chicago Bulls.

Archived